XCR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

If you were going to pick up a FAL, which model, from which manufacturer, would it be, an why?

I don't currently have any .308 in my rack, and I'd be looking for a general-purpose, longer-range arm than my XCR light. I'd probably prefer a longer barrel and an adjustable stock, but can always add those later.

thanks for the guidance

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As they say down here in Florida: Y'all rock! That's why this is the best place to talk guns that I know of.

That's a lot of great info, and a lot to digest. Thanks in particular to i303: That must have taken some time.

A couple of questions: What's the difference between the type I and Type II receivers?

When you talk about the "heavy" barrel, are you referring to what they call their "bull barrel?" They have that listed as chrome moly steel, but that's not the same as chrome line (or did I miss something?).

I've long admired the FAL, but after seeing the XCR, I ordered one on the spot. I had hoped to get an XCR in .308 to go with my 5.56 (along with the 6.5 conversion), but it seems like the XCR-M is a long ways off, and I'm uncertain about the election.

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Barrel life and accuracy work in opposites. Chrome Lined, Longest lasting, Worst accuracy though that is a relative statement/ Chrome Moly, lasts well and has reasonable accuracy/ Stainless, shortest life but good accuracy.
Mickey,

I've never heard this put this way before. Good info. THANKS!

So is there an advantage one way or another with the different receiver types?

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sigs,

Which model is that? I really like the full-length rails, but the only models I see them on are a couple of the tacticals -- which are in the $4,700 range. Is it an aftermarket add-on?

thanks for the help

tk

BTW: I'm a sig fan myself. Going to a an armorer's class next week.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Mickey,

gotcha. thanks for the guidance. I'll let you know how it turns out.

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Col,

thanks for the comparison info. i'll probably go folding. you must have quite a collection...

Not sure what to make of the xcr's break-in period; it's been much discussed here. bought my mine new and it worked flawlessly straight out of the box. i've got over 1K rounds through it and no problems. and it's kind to brass. can't wait for the 6.5 to come out.

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
yeah, well.... you know what WE'RE like <g>

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks for the info -- great sites.

I'm trying to find a couple that I can handle before buying.

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm in Central Florida, on the east coast. Where are you guys located?

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
PM set.

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Mickey,

It's a deal: Just let me know when you're back.

I appreciate the offer.

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Good article, thanks fr posting it.

My sweetie and I drove up to mousetown on Saturday to drop one of her nieces off at the airport. Since I'm in the market for a .308, we drove into town to take a look through some of the larger toystores. Turns out that ShootStraight had four FALs in various configurations. Really liked the way they handled. They had one with a 16-inch barrel and the rail mount, in tan duracoat. I was pretty impressed with its ergonomics and pointability.

tk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.