XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally gave up on getting what i wanted through a retailer and ordered my XCR of the RA website. I went with the 5.56, 16" light barrel, tube folder, BUIS, and A2 fh. Now i just have to wait until the end of February :( Oh well, that should give my ammo time to get in and i still have to order my VFG.

Does anyone know a place that still has windowed Pmags in stock for under $20? I'm not having much luck so far.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Finally gave up on getting what i wanted through a retailer and ordered my XCR of the RA website. I went with the 5.56, 16" light barrel, tube folder, BUIS, and A2 fh. Now i just have to wait until the end of February :( Oh well, that should give my ammo time to get in and i still have to order my VFG.

Does anyone know a place that still has windowed Pmags in stock for under ? I'm not having much luck so far.
Charles Daly Defense had some windowed PMAG's as of last thursday

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, someone posted that last week and i checked it out, but they no longer have them listed, so i guess i missed the boat.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I dont know if Roy at Aussie Arms has any in stock or not but he was selling windowed PMags for 16.50 I think, I have stopped using PMags for anything or then Range use I have had all for of mine get cracked down the backside so now they do not get any serious use :2cents:

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Bravo Company have Lancers available.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I dont know if Roy at Aussie Arms has any in stock or not but he was selling windowed PMags for 16.50 I think, I have stopped using PMags for anything or then Range use I have had all for of mine get cracked down the backside so now they do not get any serious use :2cents:
Wow, that's a first. Everyone is hailing pmags as the savior to the AR's.

I never got into the PMAG craze as regular USGI mags worked just fine for me. Even ones with black followers has worked.

·
Registered
986 Posts
All,

I have a question about PMags. I have heard that the PMags spines have a habbit of spliting with heavy use. I have some USGI mags that I was going to use the Magpul kits to update them. Any issues I should be aware with the kits?

Thanx,

-Dredd

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

Tac- were those part of their recalled mags? Magpul will replace them if they have the correct date stamp on them. You should post that over on their industry forum over on barfcom and start a fanboy riot!

Dredd- I've rebuilt most of my USGI's (90+) with mostly Magpul, and some CProducts, followers & springs. Haven't had a bad thing to say about either company's gear. If you're rebuilding some old mags keep in mind the new follower and spring will most likely give you a little more life but check to make sure your feed lips aren't getting deformed or are stretched, that'd be the first place I'd look at for GI mags failing.

·
Registered
923 Posts

Tac- were those part of their recalled mags? Magpul will replace them if they have the correct date stamp on them. You should post that over on their industry forum over on barfcom and start a fanboy riot!

Dredd- I've rebuilt most of my USGI's (90+) with mostly Magpul, and some CProducts, followers & springs. Haven't had a bad thing to say about either company's gear. If you're rebuilding some old mags keep in mind the new follower and spring will most likely give you a little more life but check to make sure your feed lips aren't getting deformed or are stretched, that'd be the first place I'd look at for GI mags failing.
Not sure, I did not know that any of them were recalled, I will have to check but I bet even if they are in the recall they wont replace it since I had them Duracoated

·
Registered
986 Posts
M118sb,

I appreciate the info. When I was in Afghanistan we would check our mags routinly. Since I have been back (5 months) I have not really inspected them. My XCR has not gotten here yet. I have 7 mags that need to be updated. I would like to get some 20 rounders in the near future. Again I appreciate the info.

Dredd

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
You can always order from Brownells. If they don't have them in stock they will get them fast, they get more than 500 Pmags every week.

I too haven't completely bought into the Pmag craze, probably because I have enough HK mags to last a lifetime. I think USGI mags built with magpul innards are fine too.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I've got PMags back ordered from Brownells since just right after the election. Some barfcommers did a group buy on like 15000 worth of them. Why they went through Brownells and not someone like RSR I have no idea. I like PMags in that you can pre-load them and the dust cap keeps tension off of the feed lips. I've never had an issue but then again I've never really abused them either!

Mags are XB3 (consumable), don't fall in love with them and replace them when needed. I've seen some duty mags in my career that you could shake the rounds out as soon as you stripped the first one. Talk about the spring taking a set. Pathetic.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can always order from Brownells. If they don't have them in stock they will get them fast, they get more than 500 Pmags every week.

I too haven't completely bought into the Pmag craze, probably because I have enough HK mags to last a lifetime. I think USGI mags built with magpul innards are fine too.
I checked Brownells last week and several times since. I'm supposed to get an email notification when new ones arrive, but no luck so far. I've never used Pmags, just have heard alot of people speak highly of them, and if possible I'd like to have at least a couple to try for myself. I tried to call and email Roy over at Aussie arms a number of times in the past 2 weeks, but haven't been able to get in touch with him.

If all else fails i suppose i can get some more GI mags and change out the followers. I've never done that, but I understand it's pretty easy to do.

I've seen some positive mentions of the C products mags. Anyone here have personal experience with them? If so, do you have the aluminum or stainless steel?

Cartmann, how do you like those Lancer mags? Any trouble?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I've got a couple of the SS CProducts mags. They're fine, just thin steel bodies so no real advantage over the thicker aluminum mags in my humble opinion. They work great though.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I checked Brownells last week and several times since. I'm supposed to get an email notification when new ones arrive, but no luck so far. I've never used Pmags, just have heard alot of people speak highly of them, and if possible I'd like to have at least a couple to try for myself. I tried to call and email Roy over at Aussie arms a number of times in the past 2 weeks, but haven't been able to get in touch with him.
If you wait for them to email you will be waiting for a while. Put them on backorder and you may be pleasantly suprised when they show up. I have heard of guys ordering and getting them a week or 2 later. Why do you want the windows? Just order them without, you will get them even that much faster.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Cartmann, how do you like those Lancer mags? Any trouble?
They are on their way home. I only got them because they are clear and clear mags are a God Send, just look to the side and see how many rounds you have left ;) I got use to clear mags with my ruger 10/22 and find them just really convenient. I only bought 5 and I plan to just use them for Range Duty (for now).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you wait for them to email you will be waiting for a while. Put them on backorder and you may be pleasantly suprised when they show up. I have heard of guys ordering and getting them a week or 2 later. Why do you want the windows? Just order them without, you will get them even that much faster.
Oh, I don't guess i need the windows, i just like being able to see how many rounds i have left at a glance. Thanks for the heads up on the email notification, I'll put them on backorder and see if i get lucky.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i placed a few Pmags on backorder at Brownells and went ahead and ordered a couple of Lancer mags as well. I figure i can try them both out for myself (assuming i actually get the pmags).

I think i'm going to order a couple aluminum mags from cproducts as well. Anyone know if there's any significant difference in the chrome silicon spring vs the SS as well as any difference between the orange, gray, and green followers? My understanding is that gray is the standard gi follower, gray and orange are the magpul anti-tilt just in two different colors. Am i wrong about this? Anyone have any feelings about one being more reliable than another?

Last gun show i went to, they were asking $15 for gi mags and they didn't have new followers.

Thanks for all the help guys

Rodney

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well i placed a few Pmags on backorder at Brownells and went ahead and ordered a couple of Lancer mags as well. I figure i can try them both out for myself (assuming i actually get the pmags).

I think i'm going to order a couple aluminum mags from cproducts as well. Anyone know if there's any significant difference in the chrome silicon spring vs the SS as well as any difference between the orange, gray, and green followers? My understanding is that gray is the standard gi follower, gray and orange are the magpul anti-tilt just in two different colors. Am i wrong about this? Anyone have any feelings about one being more reliable than another?

Last gun show i went to, they were asking for gi mags and they didn't have new followers.

Thanks for all the help guys

The metallurgists seem to think that the Chrome Silicon Springs will not set as quickly as the SS spring. I believe your correct on the followers. You might want to check into the SS magazines as well. Dont_Tread_On_Me seems to like them from reading some of his earlier posts.

Rodney

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The metallurgists seem to think that the Chrome Silicon Springs will not set as quickly as the SS spring. I believe your correct on the followers. You might want to check into the SS magazines as well. Dont_Tread_On_Me seems to like them from reading some of his earlier posts.
I decided I hadn't had enough experience with different mags (almost none really) so i have several on the way, the previously mentioned pmags, lancers, and now couple of Cproducts in aluminum and a couple in SS with anti-tilt followers. I also have an old usgi mag that never had the follower swapped out. I figure i'm going to be putting alot of rounds through my xcr, i might as well play around with the different mags out there and see if one makes any difference over the others to me.

Besides, it's not like you can have too many mags, right? ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts