XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
23,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran 100% on Red Army Standard .308....80-100 rounds.

Just a function check since the day was more dedicated to new shooters learning some pistol basics and trying out different brands/types of pistol.

It's a concussive little bitch.....but I do have a 2 port 300 blk brake from VG6 Precision Gamma.

Sorry TC, I didn't bring the flow through can and wanted to at least get a few hundred rounds through it before trying it.....

Maybe in early January when we plan to go out again.

· Registered
23,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran the 9.5" with the flow through can....however.....really odd. The point of impact shift was apparently enormous. I only tried to run 1 25 round mag b/c I couldn't even hit a 12x20 IDPA steel target at 40 yards offhand WITH a 3X PA Prism.

Stopped after that b/c I didn't bring any paper to see what was really going on.

Before that....ran a handful of mags through it with no can and it was easily ringing it everytime unless I was just pushing the splits too fast.

Took the can back off, went back to the VG6 Gamma 300 BLK brake....right back to flawless accuracy (at that admittedly very short distance).

Now, I did have to remove the bbl from the gun each time to swap to the can and back....no room to easily change the thread on suppressor without removal since the lock nut for the brake is housed inside the upper. Not sure if that may have greatly affected the accuracy, but I doubt it since obviously it was fully seated and it returned to the former accuracy when the brake went back on. Also inspected the can itself to ensure no baffle strikes causing issues.

Very odd that there could be that much POI shift at that distance.

Oh, and ejection without the can....I started at zero on the Type 3 gas. Bolt gun....all the way up to setting 3. Then it threw brass about 6-8 feet and locked back on the empty mag. Dialed it up one more to 4 to get 12' ejection.

Didn't dial it down with the can and the ejection probably went up to at most 20'. Should have dialed down, but was more focused on the apparent POI shift. Haven't looked at internals to see if the parts are beat up from the can....but it ran a few more 25 round mags after I put the brake back on and seemed to be running fine.

It's a blasty little bitch with the brake but a hoot to light off. With the can, it's 'hearing safe', lol.....I can shoot it without hearing pro....but it did ring my admittedly fucked up ears a bit. Totally removes the blast though....you do still see sparks at the end of the can though.

· Registered
167 Posts
Have any of your other Robinsons experienced dramatic POI shifts when running a can or is this isolated in your experience? Also aren't all rhe 9.5 barrels heavy profile? To my simple caveman brain I thought the thicker the barrel the less harmonic whip was experienced thus less poi shift.. idk I don't have any first hand experience, just parroting what I've read/heard.

· Registered
23,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have any of your other Robinsons experienced dramatic POI shifts when running a can or is this isolated in your experience? Also aren't all rhe 9.5 barrels heavy profile? To my simple caveman brain I thought the thicker the barrel the less harmonic whip was experienced thus less poi shift.. idk I don't have any first hand experience, just parroting what I've read/heard.
No.....which is even more bizarre.

From what I can tell, they are ALL heavy...as you mention.

Reactions: Flskunkape

· Super Moderator
362 Posts
I'd check concentricity with a rod with the can on. That seems weird. Is the can close enough to the upper to rub/impact it in any way? Are you using a torque wrench to set the barrel nut to the same value each time? Was it backing off at all?

· Registered
23,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd check concentricity with a rod with the can on. That seems weird. Is the can close enough to the upper to rub/impact it in any way? Are you using a torque wrench to set the barrel nut to the same value each time? Was it backing off at all?
Rod checked out fine. Doesn't contact the upper.

No on the torque wrench and not backing off....still tight when removed.

Ahh....but you jogged my memory: I got lazy and didn't want to spin the lock nut off....so I bottomed it on the shoulder, then tightened the can against it.

Will need to try it with that removed (as I should have anyway).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts