XCR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another day, another firing pin breaking anecdote.

This YouTuber was very reverent about his XCR when he purchased it, but now he sounds rather heartbroken after a firing pin breakage with steel cased ammo:

Since the factory does not seem to have a permanent fix for this issue, can the senior members of the forum guide us on what might be causing it? My only guess so far is that Steel ammo has high pressure variation in its loading.

Video:

·
Registered
23,252 Posts
Unlikely....chrono results are the steel cased .223 is weaker than 5.56 brass cased.

Steel cased does have harder primers typically....but some here think it's firing pin overtravel causing the issue. I'm not sure that's the case....chamfers were a problem on the older straight firing pin designs. I'm honestly not sure what's going on there. Nor is RA obviously, or it would no longer be an issue.

·
Registered
23,252 Posts
Just watched the video....no, it's not anywhere near as simple to change the firing pin as an AR...but not much different than an AK. He's got a problem with his gun if it doesn't eat steel. Most likely, it's a tight chamber.

·
Registered
23,252 Posts
As far as I know, 556 is generally more powerful than 223 because 556 is a higher pressure round.

But indeed it is a pity that Robinson is struggling to solve this issue.
Exactly....which is why the chrono readings are higher.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just watched the video....no, it's not anywhere near as simple to change the firing pin as an AR...but not much different than an AK. He's got a problem with his gun if it doesn't eat steel. Most likely, it's a tight chamber.
Wait, do we have the same type of BCG? It's extremely easy and I'd say easier than an AR15. Just use a 1/16" punch to remove that one pin and it falls out. On an AR that firing pin retaining pin can be difficult to pull out. It's especially more difficult to reinstall.

·
Registered
23,252 Posts
Wait, do we have the same type of BCG? It's extremely easy and I'd say easier than an AR15. Just use a 1/16" punch to remove that one pin and it falls out. On an AR that firing pin retaining pin can be difficult to pull out. It's especially more difficult to reinstall.
To get a firing pin out of an AR, you don't need any tools. So yes, it's easy on the XCR or AK....but it requires tools. We disagree that an AR's retaining pin is difficult (worst case, you use a bullet tip) and I don't know what would be difficult about reinstallation. As with anything, YMMV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts