XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had some car parts done and decided to see how it would apply to firearm parts. I did the firing pins for durability and lessen friction. I don't know if it will help as I have not broken a pin nor do I think I shoot enough to increase the risk. They do look good and the auto parts like connecting rods and other internals stand up on dragsters and Bonneville engines.

Before:
Musical instrument Wind instrument Wood Pipe Gas
Brown Wood Flooring Floor Tints and shades

After:
Office equipment Office supplies Carbon Grille Wood
Audio equipment Wood Beige Fashion accessory Metal
Wood Close-up Aluminium Metal Fashion accessory

Reactions: BADDFROGG

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Yeah, looks good!
What was the treatment?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
....ok.....I'm listening.

How does this compare to np3 coating....seems superior....after some preliminary digging I get the process and rationale behind it. It is awesome that there are no dimensional changes significant enough to warrant concern, and the compaction and hardening make sense too.......so has anyone really tested this side by side or do we even need to?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris, the lack of dimensional changes is one of the biggest advantages in my view. NP3 if I understand correctly does add some to the products treated and as a coating can 'peal'. NP3 is proven in the gun world and I have seen people use it in the auto world as well.
My personal opinion is that is should work with excellent results but I don't have the engineering background nor the necessary equipment to perform any kind of testing. I spoke to WPC a couple of years ago about them doing firearm related items and they said they have been doing them. It has not been widely advertised and I do not know why; is it because of the gun image, trade secrets etc. Who knows, I didn't ask when they said it works.
Remember that 'shot peening' and nitride treating a crank shaft has been going on for years and are proven technologies. This process is like shot peening and nitriding while adding the 'lubricity' to the mix.

·
Registered
22,807 Posts
....ok.....I'm listening.

How does this compare to np3 coating....seems superior....after some preliminary digging I get the process and rationale behind it. It is awesome that there are no dimensional changes significant enough to warrant concern, and the compaction and hardening make sense too.......so has anyone really tested this side by side or do we even need to?
I wonder if cyro wouldn't be another good process for a firing pin....in addition to peening.

I believe the NP3 is just going to be good for lubricity and corrosion inhibition, not really for additional strength other than through reduced friction.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Right!

I like it! Was the treatment expensive?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right!

I like it! Was the treatment expensive?
Not sure if you would call expensive $32 to do both pins. He gave me a 20% High Frequency discount. Really nice guy to talk to. If you want, give him (Izumi-san) a call (Tell him I sent you, Marlon-san) and see if you can work something out. If I can help in any way, let me know. I know you would put stuff through it's paces and am very curious to find out if my confidence in this process is correct.

Just so you know, the parts do not have to be new to get treated, they just have to be clean. :D

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Excellent!
Thanks a bunch!
I'll see when I've got some money that nobody is trying to pull out from under me.
Right now, I've got some wrenching to do for the youngest, so he can drive when he gets out of the ankle boot.
That stuff is always expensive.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent!
Thanks a bunch!
I'll see when I've got some money that nobody is trying to pull out from under me.
Right now, I've got some wrenching to do for the youngest, so he can drive when he gets out of the ankle boot.
That stuff is always expensive.
Know what you mean. Why do you think the project car is still not running.:(

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Yeah, but you're ahead of the curve - I'm trying to wrench on beaters for kids, and keep my two properly maintained.

I remember what it was like to be ahead of the curve..... Trick Flow heads on a built 351, Mallory ignition, and Carter carbs hooked into a C4 with the TCI "clutchless standard" valve body (don't ask) :p

Reactions: Merlin

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Cleveland or Windsor--I'm assuming Windsor if it is hooked up to a C4?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Right.
But those heads breathed like Cleveland heads :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
How about Cleveland heads on a Windsor!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Clevors aren't that "odd", but due to the machining involved, still pretty rare.
I tried to score a Cleveland with a 4-speed top-loader a few years back. It looked good, but the guy selling it thought I'd be dumb enough to not know the difference between the 2V heads on it, and the 4V heads he SAID were on it.
As far as I'm concerned, if you want the epitome of a hard-core racing engine, the 4V 351 Cleveland is only bested by the 429 BOSS.
That's why I gave the Windsor the "next best thing" treatment. The Trick Flow heads are way cool.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some more before and after, different parts this time.

Camera lens Automotive design Gadget Audio equipment Cameras & optics
Tableware Drinkware Dishware Cup Teapot

Reactions: Bravo

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
You get extra points for showing a part I can't identify ;)

Reactions: Merlin
1 - 20 of 22 Posts