XCR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=394685

It appears that the first piston MRP's are trickling out the door.

I've been wanting one ever since they were announced, but the guy there says he paid 2300+ for the complete rifle. I'd just want an upper, and can extrapolate the price, from that number, to at least $1650. Wow. That is pretty pricy for just an upper. I wonder if they will come down somewhat.

Good news is they should work with existing MRP barrels and existing AR15 bolts with the gas rings removed.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Yes, but......

I see this, the POF, and several others as attempts at getting what the HK416 already has. People want that piston driven system.

One of my buddies did a blackwater course with an HK416. Before the course started, he pulled it down and patched off all the oil. From inside the upper, from the bolt carrier and bolt, from the piston, from everywhere he could find oil.

Why?

Just to see if it'd run dry.

It wouldn't. He said by round 650 or so, it was sluggish, and about a hundred rounds later he was getting failures to eject. A squirt of oil though kept him running the rest of the week.

The XCR will do much, much more than 700 rounds without any kind of lube at all. I know that for a fact - at least the ones I own will.

At that point I wrote off the HK, and due to the 'extremely similar' design, I wrote off the POF too. More XCRs for me.

Now if Alex would just give me the option of buying mine chambered for 308......... life would be grand!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
i don't care what it is, that is a lot of money for an AR. I could get a gold plated AK for that much ;) I think that piston is the way to go on any semi-auto rifle but I just cant imagine spending that much when I can get complete piston guns for less. I will stick with my XCR for now (though i wouldn't mind a POF .308)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I think if they want 1650 for the upper I will have to pass for now. I don't think it is worth that much to me. I could buy an entire second XCR in 6.8 or whatever for less than that. It is monolithic; QD barrels, piston of course (I would be looking to replace my high-strung 10.5 DI upper with an SBR version of this one). It has a lot of the same capabilities of the XCR; plus it will use the standard AR lower: Good for trigger options; bad for stock options. I have been impressed with the DI MRPs I've fondled (never shot one), and always thought a well designed piston version could make for a real nice piece if executed correctly.

As far as the HK416, while I do find reports of its operation interesting to read, objectively, it doesn't make any difference *to me* what it can or can't do as long as its still vaporware. Same with the ACR and SCAR for now.

I will be looking for thorough reports on the piston MRP.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Actually, the 416 isn't vaporware. They're fielded in small numbers in Iraq, I know that for a fact.

One of my mentors was 'given' a personal copy, although he balked when I asked if he could get me one too ;-)

As far as citizens (or residents) of this country go? Not likely to be released. That's directly per the HK rep back in February, when I asked him myself.

But my point about the 416 wasn't a direct comparison to the XCR - it was that the 416 and the MRP are extremely similar. Since the 416 is intolerant when it comes to lack of lube, I'd expect the MRP to fall into that category as well.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, not exactly vaporware unless you are referring to Joe Shmoe getting one. I know someone close to where I live that has one, I haven't shot it yet but it does seem to be built like a tank. I don't like the heft of it and the fact that you cant mount any optics on the rails (they move too much). Other than that it seems like an AR upper with a piston.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I am Joe Shmoe, so, if my dealer can't order one, its vaporware for my purposes.

The rail moves to much? Admittedly I'm not real familiar with the 416 design, but I thought it was monolithic as well?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Does either rifle have adjustable gas?

I can get a cheap century piston driven AK for $350 bucks,I know ,I know,but the point is a PISTON shouldn't cost an additional 700-1500 to the cost of an what is basically an AR.
This is a classic example of how HK and other's cater to law enforcement /military contracts without giving hardly a sneer at us poor lowly civvies and will never get a dime of my money until they change their Bullshit policies.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Well that's just HK corporate policy, and always has been.

HK
Because you suck.
And we hate you.

And yes, the 416 did feel like a nose-heavy brick to me as well.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Well, I am Joe Shmoe, so, if my dealer can't order one, its vaporware for my purposes.

The rail moves to much? Admittedly I'm not real familiar with the 416 design, but I thought it was monolithic as well?
It's a QD rail, and yes it has, or had, problems.

Out of all the piston systems I like LWRC's the most. Firstly, long oprod AR15 pistons have all had issues with the rod getting deformed. Never going to happen to LWRC due to the self regulating tappet that actuallys scraps carbon off itself. Also, LWRC's piston has no issues with carrier tilt.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hmmm... Aussie and I met up with a couple LWRC (former) employees recently at a local range.

They had nothing nice to say about LWRC - but considering their employment status - I gave it no second thoughts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too like the LWRC gas system best, and from what I'v read it's top notch. LMT does have a nice unit as well, but I think if my life were on the line I'd go with LWRC.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've seen an updated report that the MSRP of the upper is going to be 1450. Still a little high compared to the XCR (my whole XCR with ambi selector was 1475 OTD for the basic rifle, if I remember).

If the street prices stabilize somewhere under the MSRP before an Obamaban, I'd be pretty tempted. Especially if time is looking short and there is no SCAR/ACR in the mix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts