XCR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new XCR-L SBR is stuck in jail right now at my local NFA dealer. Fortunately, they have an indoor range, so I was able to put some rounds through it. The ammunition I used is Tula 122gr FMJ. This ammunition has a copper jacket instead of the usual copper/steel jacket found in most 7.62x39. My XCR-L has a 9.5" 7.62x39 barrel with a GB3 micro gas block that's under the rail. I started by putting 5 cartridges through it using an ASC 20rd magazine. They cycled and ejected strongly, but I can't really tell how far the spent cases would have gone. The recoil was stronger than I expected, so I'm pretty sure it's getting too much gas. It's currently set at 4. It wasn't readily apparent how to rotate the valve and the instructions in the manual were not real clear regarding this particular one. I decided not to adjust it because I didn't think the employees watching the range or other customers would appreciate a guy looking at the muzzle end of the barrel. Next I fired a full 30rds through a D&H magazine that's proved 100% reliable through my M16, two 7.62x39 AR15's and my 7.62x39 Bren 2 MS. The third cartridge got stuck while feeding. I just pulled back the charging handle a bit and let go. The cartridge then fed. There were no other issues with this magazine. Finally, I fired two x 25rds through an RZE Unimag without any issue at all.

For starters, I can't wait to get this rifle home. The ergonomics are great. It seems that everything is in just the right spot. The bolt stop & release and magazine release are in the perfect spot for my trigger finger. The left side charging handle is ideal and the manner in which the rifle breaks down is better than an AR15 or AK. The recoil was firmer than I expected, but I'm thinking that adjusting the gas valve will take care of that. Any tips regarding how to adjust the under the handguard gas valve would be appreciated. Recoil seemed to push the muzzle up and to the right, so a change in the muzzle attachment may be in order. I definitely need to get an optic. I was using the included backup sight, but my old eyes could hardly see the circle on the rear one. I'm thinking of getting a 3x30 Trijicon which is what I have on my Sig 553R. I'm open to suggestions though.

Here's something odd. I was on the range alone when I started shooting the XCR-L. While I was shooting another person came on the range and began shooting a rifle. I walked back and looked over. He was shooting the pistol version of the XCR-L. It was identical to mine except that he went with the muzzle brake instead of the flash hider. I pointed it out and he said "What are the odds?" I had to agree. I've literally never even seen another person with an XCR, much less one that's virtually identical to mine. It turns out that he ordered it right around the same time that I did and picked it up the day before. He was expecting a two month wait, but it turned in to six months due to a delay caused primarily by having to wait on the barrel to be chromed. I guess in some ways it's a small world.

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
There is a hash mark on the left side of the gas block at the 9 o'clock position (when viewed from the shooter's perspective behind the rifle) that tells you the setting. To adjust, just take the tip of a bullet and put it in the detent on the dial and spin clockwise/counterclockwise to go up or down in the settings.

I'd recommend a brake if the recoil is higher than you like. I have a 9" bbl x39 with the mini length buried gas in a stnd upper...and I run the VG6 Gamma for .300 BLK. It's under 2 inches long and works very well to mitigate recoil and muzzle rise, at the expense of side blast.

That said, turning down the gas to the lowest setting that will reliably cycle the gun with whatever mag you have will also make a difference. Keep in mind, a brake will give a touch more backpressure than your current FH and will sometimes allow you to run 1 lower gas setting and still reliably cycle this platform.

As for optics....personal preference. On something this short, a red dot is fine for me and keeps the added weight down....YMMV. I don't see it being viable for man sized targets past 300 and not something I'd really shoot for groups.

HTH.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To adjust, just take the tip of a bullet and put it in the detent on the dial and spin clockwise/counterclockwise to go up or down in the settings.
I did try that, but it wouldn't budge. I thought I was doing something wrong. Perhaps it's just a little tight. I guess I'll find out in about seven months. :)

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
I did try that, but it wouldn't budge. I thought I was doing something wrong. Perhaps it's just a little tight. I guess I'll find out in about seven months. :)
Check the end of the dial. If it has a pin detent protruding out the end of the dial at the 12 o'clock position, someone at the factory didn't set it up correctly and you have to depress that pin to turn the dial.....like you would on an exposed gas block. I doubt that's what's going on, but worth a look before reefing on the dial.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My new XCR-L SBR is stuck in jail right now at my local NFA dealer. Fortunately, they have an indoor range, so I was able to put some rounds through it. The ammunition I used is Tula 122gr FMJ. This ammunition has a copper jacket instead of the usual copper/steel jacket found in most 7.62x39. My XCR-L has a 9.5" 7.62x39 barrel with a GB3 micro gas block that's under the rail. I started by putting 5 cartridges through it using an ASC 20rd magazine. They cycled and ejected strongly, but I can't really tell how far the spent cases would have gone. The recoil was stronger than I expected, so I'm pretty sure it's getting too much gas. It's currently set at 4. It wasn't readily apparent how to rotate the valve and the instructions in the manual were not real clear regarding this particular one. I decided not to adjust it because I didn't think the employees watching the range or other customers would appreciate a guy looking at the muzzle end of the barrel. Next I fired a full 30rds through a D&H magazine that's proved 100% reliable through my M16, two 7.62x39 AR15's and my 7.62x39 Bren 2 MS. The third cartridge got stuck while feeding. I just pulled back the charging handle a bit and let go. The cartridge then fed. There were no other issues with this magazine. Finally, I fired two x 25rds through an RZE Unimag without any issue at all.

For starters, I can't wait to get this rifle home. The ergonomics are great. It seems that everything is in just the right spot. The bolt stop & release and magazine release are in the perfect spot for my trigger finger. The left side charging handle is ideal and the manner in which the rifle breaks down is better than an AR15 or AK. The recoil was firmer than I expected, but I'm thinking that adjusting the gas valve will take care of that. Any tips regarding how to adjust the under the handguard gas valve would be appreciated. Recoil seemed to push the muzzle up and to the right, so a change in the muzzle attachment may be in order. I definitely need to get an optic. I was using the included backup sight, but my old eyes could hardly see the circle on the rear one. I'm thinking of getting a 3x30 Trijicon which is what I have on my Sig 553R. I'm open to suggestions though.

Here's something odd. I was on the range alone when I started shooting the XCR-L. While I was shooting another person came on the range and began shooting a rifle. I walked back and looked over. He was shooting the pistol version of the XCR-L. It was identical to mine except that he went with the muzzle brake instead of the flash hider. I pointed it out and he said "What are the odds?" I had to agree. I've literally never even seen another person with an XCR, much less one that's virtually identical to mine. It turns out that he ordered it right around the same time that I did and picked it up the day before. He was expecting a two month wait, but it turned in to six months due to a delay caused primarily by having to wait on the barrel to be chromed. I guess in some ways it's a small world.
@Bret Hey know you from the CZ forum. Great to read your description of your first shots here. I placed an order.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. I also placed an order yesterday. Mine's for an XCR-M 18.6" in 308Win. I think the wait's going to be 6 months at a minimum, so I'm going to try to think about other guns in the meantime.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I’m waiting for this SBR to get out of jail, I figured that I’d go ahead and get a new muzzle brake / flash hider for it. Does anyone know the thread pitch that Robinson uses at the muzzle threads?

·
Registered
22,085 Posts
While I’m waiting for this SBR to get out of jail, I figured that I’d go ahead and get a new muzzle brake / flash hider for it. Does anyone know the thread pitch that Robinson uses at the muzzle threads?
5/8-24 RH.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts