XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FN is altering the civilian SCAR 17S and 16S in a way that makes several major components incompatible with military models

So far, it is said the 16S will have altered barrels/upper, lower receiver/trigger pack. I've heard a very strong rumor that the Civilian upper will based off the SSR model which has a longer rail

Now I have no idea what this translates to on the WTF/Cool scale. It might be a non-issue, in the same way Colt alters their FCG on LEO/Civilian models compared to the M4A1. However, in the case of the SCAR 16S, it is far more radically altered and incompatible with the SOCOM SCAR

The most immediate impact is the lack of access to factory SBR barrels, as FN will most likely NOT be offering SBR barrels or firearms for civilian consumption, forcing people to mangle very expensive CHF 16” barrels to make SBR's. The prospect for gray market barrels is now off the table 100%

This really sours my opinion of the SCAR, and makes me reconsider my pre-payment. Because the 16S is not being built to SOCOM specs we have zero assurances on durability, reliability, accuracy or modularity...

What we get will NOT be the SOCOM wonder carbine everything thought they were getting...

In contrast, when I wanted an SBR barrel for my XCR, Terra handed it over smiling. Once again the XCR and Robinson have shown why they are full of awesome...

Other rumors I can not verify and dont put a huge amount of weight in:

Civilian model will not feature a 35,000 round life CHF barrel; rather it may be a conventional CMV chrome lined barrel.

Civilian model with lack a QD barrel feature altogether

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just wish they'd make it black instead of that FUGLY as hell turd color. God that thing looks horrible in tan/shit brown.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hmmm..

Well, this is exactly why I've never been chomping at the bit to pre-pay money for one of the first batch of wonder rifles next coming out, prior to seeing what is actually released. I've wanted a SCAR for a while now, but if it is modified in that radical a fashion, I think they can keep it. No QD barrel? That means they've changed the entire mechanical function of the upper. I highly doubt I'd be interested if that is the case.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm..

Well, this is exactly why I've never been chomping at the bit to pre-pay money for one of the first batch of wonder rifles next coming out, prior to seeing what is actually released. I've wanted a SCAR for a while now, but if it is modified in that radical a fashion, I think they can keep it. No QD barrel? That means they've changed the entire mechanical function of the upper. I highly doubt I'd be interested if that is the case.
Yeah, I am freaking bummed. The Civilian SCAR has been kept under serious wraps and its supposed to be shipping next week so now I have no idea what to expect.

I might go see my dealer today and see if I can swap my cash toward the Steyr AUG, which should be shipping in January, if I find the SCAR doesnt fit manifest as I thought it would

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Uncle Sam might have stipulated 'Zero Sales' to non Fed approved entities. Colt and Colt Defense are separate companies, I don't know how FN is orgnanized.

Regardless of what comes out it will still demand a hefty price, and just like Knight's Armament rifles, the price will only go up from there. The SCAR is an investment rifle, not a shooting rifle, in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
what are they thinking? ::)
That we aren't cool enough to have the SOCOM rifle. They probably found a cheaper way to make it but are still passing the R&D on to the customers.

·
Registered
568 Posts
From my perspective the big gun makers I.E. Colt,FN,H-k are mostly concerned with lucrative govt contracts and have repeatedly demonstated an attitude of little regard for the gun buying public.
A good example would be Colts lack of 1911A1 consumer response in the 1970's and 80's. Companies like Para Ordinance and Kimber stepped up to the plate to fill the void and the rest is history. The same scenario applies to the tactical and utility rifle market.

Real innovation mostly comes from the private civilian sector. Guys were milling the carry handles off of their AR 15s and bolting on Weaver bases and installing free float tubes 10 years before the military was even interested in flat top uppers.

Alex robinson had his XCR on the market, putting rounds down ranger before FN had even built a single SCAR proto type.

No sour grapes here. I just cant get excited about vaporware and see no advantage to owning one save for bragging rights when the XCR, parts and customer service are a reality.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yep, Why hold out for something that MAY be available when you can get the XCR that is available NOW.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I wouldn't really say that FN doesn't cater to the civilian shooter. Colt and HK, yes. But FN... they have a good track record in my mind. Just recently, the FS2K is on the market here, as is the PS90; they continue to sell the FiveSeven despite the media blitz against it. They brought the FAL and FNC back in the day.

Are they concerned with govt contracts; of course they are; that is a lot of money. Evidently their M16 contract states that they can't make parts for the civilian market as well (rumor that has been flowing around the internet for quite some time). Maybe there is something similar in the SCAR contract. Given their track record, and if the civilian SCAR is mangled beyond recognition, I would almost expect that. I guess we will see.

If the govt doesn't let FN sell to civilians as as a clause in the contract, you've got to blame the govt, not FN. The only other option would be for FN to refuse the govt contract and sell only to civilians, and I don't think you can expect any company to do that. If that is the way their contract is structured, and they sell a mangled civilian version anyway, that actually shows significant R&D that had to occur just for the civilian market. Whether I would want such a rifle is yet to be seen, but I think it is a bit early to say FN doesn't cater to the civilian shooter.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
There is also a lot of conjecture out there. I think we need to see the finished proiduct and then evaluate it befoer passing comment on FN. At least they are offering it which is more then HK has done.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
...add Magpul/Bushmaster to the HK pile....

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm pretty disappointed in the barrel not being the same, but other than that, I don't think FN is going to do us wrong.

Is the barrel still going to have the 35,000+ round life? Is it the same manufacturing process? Where did you hear that it's not going to be QD? The QD is the least of my concerns to be honest.

The lower doesn't concern me at all. AR15 lowers aren't usually sear ready either, so who cares?

I"ll wait and hold judgment until we all get them in our hands. I'm not getting it to be tacticool, I'm getting it more so to collect anyway, and have a fun range day every couple months. If it's reliable, uses the same R&D and overall the same product as the MIL SCAR, and comes with most of the same features, I'm happy to have it in my collection.

If it's unreliable, I'll sell it without even thinking.

Lastly, here's to hoping that the first couple off the line are a bit "closer" to mil's version!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yep, Why hold out for something that MAY be available when you can get the XCR that is available NOW.
Amen. Don't forget... time is short. Get what you can get while you can. The SCAR isn't the end of the gun world. There are several good one's out there.

·
Registered
568 Posts
ny32182 you are right.
FN has not been bad to us. I was a tad hasty lumping them in with Colt. For that I appologize.
I do have grief with their pricing though. With the F2000 and P90 in full serial production and the P90 in world wide distribution, I would think the prices of the semi auto variants could be lower by now.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Apparently print ad's are out for the 16S with a 16" barrel with A2 flash hider.

·
Registered
21 Posts
VB, where are you getting this information? It seems like changes this massive would have come up sooner than a few days before the first rifles are supposed to ship. I'm not saying you are wrong, I just want to separate rumor and speculation from fact.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
VB, where are you getting this information? It seems like changes this massive would have come up sooner than a few days before the first rifles are supposed to ship. I'm not saying you are wrong, I just want to separate rumor and speculation from fact.
Someone I know that went to FN and just finished the SCAR armorer course.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm sure it is something along the lines of out Goobermint doesn't want use having a compatible rifle, so the Civvie rifle has to be altered. FN has been wanting to make this for us for years and I know that they will make us a rifle that is every bit as good as the Mil rifle, just different to appease Uncle Sam.

Don't go gnashing your teeth at FN quite yet. They are one of the few companies out there trying to include us in the cool stuff like Robinson is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off hello all.

Second that sucks. I was looking at getting one but depending how off it is from the real issued one will dicate what I do.

Max

1 - 20 of 36 Posts