XCR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out doing some errands today and just happened to stop in at my local pawn shop to look for some spare mags and I came across an FN five-seven they had for $500 which is a heck of a deal.It was in perfect shape but I was put off by the expensive 5.7 x28 proprietary ammo. Anyone have one of these?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had one of these about a year ago. Only kept it for about a month. Sold it for what I paid for it.

It was a great pistol, but just a glorified .22 with high priced rounds. Became interested in some other weapons and sold it to fund those.

No complaints really, just tired of it quickly. :-\

But $500 is a deal on that tool.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is a deal and that's what tempted me to buy it. However, I had to ask myself if I really wanted a glorified .22 magnum that shot expensive ammo. I just think at this point that $500 would be better spent on another kit for my XCR or put towards a handgun that shoots more common and cheaper ammo. I still like my 92F but I am not totally comfortable with the way it feels in my hand , so I am always on the lookout for a nice pistol with better ergos.

·
Registered
467 Posts
A couple of my friends' have/had them. They're great guns and shoot really well. However, they are just a .22 magnum with delusions of grandeur. Fun to shoot, though. Also, expensive.

The only caveat I'd have about the 5.7 is I'd highly recomend you do NOT handload for it. It's a particularly hazardous cartridge to work with. There's a reason Dillon won't produce tools for this round. There've been some nasty blowups with both it and the PS90. A web search will give you the details. Suffice it to say that it was never meant to be reloaded and if you do, be VERY careful with it. Don't reuse brass more than once, maybe twice at the outside--if you like living dangerously and are pathologically cheap. You MUST adhere to strict safetly standards when working with it. Do NOT cut corners or attempt to push brass life. Feel lucky to get one reload and leave it at that. Case head seperations are the rule with this cartridge if pushed.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I'm completely turned off by the caliber...

While 500 is a smokin deal on a fiveseven, you could just as easily spend that 500 on a nice pistol in a real caliber ;)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm completely turned off by the caliber...

While 500 is a smokin deal on a fiveseven, you could just as easily spend that 500 on a nice pistol in a real caliber ;)
That is my thinking exactly. Not only is the ammo expensive, I question its take-down power. I need to get something in 9mm or 45acp to match the ammo/guns I already have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is my thinking exactly. Not only is the ammo expensive, I question its take-down power. I need to get something in 9mm or 45acp to match the ammo/guns I already have.
FN 5.7 = Range Toy. Looks cool, high capacity. IMHO, not practical. Ammo costs are very high.

With ammo being what it is in terms of cost, and the lingering possibility of the anti's going after it since they recently got branded losers in the Heller decision, your last sentence is probably a wise one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts