XCR Forum banner

How does the FNAR look?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us looking at interim solutions until an XCR-M ships:
I saw several FNARs at a gun show last weekend and I can't understand why these aren't on anybody's radar. This is a piston autoloader in .308 with:
1. Adjustable stock and rails all over
2. Sub-MOA accuracy
3. Available now for $1400!!!

The only drawbacks I can surmise:
1. Proprietary magazines
2. Stock doesn't fold

Why isn't this the .308 assault rifle everyone is buying?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Uh, cause it is ugly as sin? And not in a cool way. Yep, "looks like ass" would be a good way to put it.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Yeah, that thing is ugly. I can think of lots of better things to spend $1400 on.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Fugly and proprietary $50 magazines...no thanks!!

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
The wed site says "gas operated".I'm trying to get a mental picture of whats lying beneath those hand guards.My guess would be some type of unattached piston that strikes a carrier that straddles the mag well,if theres room.I know what I think it would look like but kind of hard to explain.For the piston to be under the barrel it seems like the op rod would have to be on the side like the M14,unless something straddles the magazine,inside the receiver.It can't be inertia driven,because the barrel would have to move.I'd love to inspect that sucker,I'm curiouse now....Oh sidenote,I called FN and asked,the mags are to retail between 50-60 bucks and they will probably be more on dealers shelves given the current political B.S. panic.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Good point,I forgot I read somewhere that it's nothing more than a B.A.R.(not WWII fame) With a stupid looking "TACTICAL" stock....lmao what a joke...it's an attempt to capitalize on the "black gun" market by sticking new furniture on an old school design.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right, I saw elsewhere that it's just a dressed up B.A.R.

So I guess what I'm wondering is why a .308 B.A.R. with "tactical" furniture and a 20-round magazine is so much less desirable than a SCAR-H or (hypothetical) XCR-M?

Folding stock aside I assume there's something significant in the action -- but obviously it can't be that the new action is more accurate!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'd say that thing is uglier then anything Hi-Point ever made :duh:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
What do looks have to do with anything?

A lightweight BAR in .308 is fine in my book. It's got a reciprocating charging handle, which is different from the original design. However, it looks to benefit from modern materials and manufacturing. Definitely something worth investigating, in my opinion.

The price is a little high, but not bad considering the current market.

·
Registered
923 Posts
It is not just the looks I handled one that my local gunshop had and it just felt like utter crap in my shoulder, I would put it in the same area as a decent priced AK :2cents:

But maybe it just did not fit me

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
It just kinda pisses me off when a company can paint a gun black,put a heavy barrel,and some cheesy plastic bolt on rails,a pistol grip stock and call it "tactical".It looks like a 2x4 with a handle and awkward as hell.Maybe I'm not giving it a fair shake,but if I'm going to put 1400 scabs into a rifle,I want something that handles well,and doesn't look like ass as VB so astutely put it.Not to mention they had to use proprietary magazines that if a ban does happen will be twice or three times retail and scarce as hell.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, so mags, costmetics, and stock (maybe--I haven't really tried that, but I did notice it comes with various comb and butt spacers to customize fit) are points against it. But are there any other .308 autoloaders that will give you sub-MOA accuracy and mounting rails for (significantly) less than $2000?

And what are notable drawbacks to the BAR piston action when compared to the actions on M1A, FAL, POF/LWRC (i.e., AR-derived) and perhaps eventually SCAR-H and XCR-M? (Especially considering that none of use are going to be shooting any of these full-auto.)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Am i out of the cool kid's club for thinking it looks really cool? :-[

We might have to put it to a vote! ;)

To each their own, I don't pass judgment on folks. The commentary is funny though!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts