XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a great deal of respect for Ford right now. I might just have to share my dollars with them because this move deserves to be rewarded. I have been considering a Volvo actually

Ford Motor Co. said Friday it would not need a short-term loan from the government, but lauded the Bush administration's decision to extend aid to its cash-strapped competitors and renewed a request for a nine billion dollar line of credit.
"We do not face a near-term liquidity issue, and we are not seeking short-term financial assistance from the government," Ford president and chief executive officer Alan Mulally said in a statement.

Ford said it hoped to restructure its business without government assistance but requested the nine billion dollar line of credit as a "critical backstop or safeguard against worsening conditions."

The US government announced earlier Friday it would provide ailing automakers with 13.4 billion dollars in short-term financing in support of their restructuring, setting strict conditions to prove their viability.

"All of us at Ford appreciate the prudent step the administration has taken to address the near-term liquidity issues of GM and Chrysler," Mulally said.

"The US auto industry is highly interdependent, and a failure of one of our competitors would have a ripple effect that could jeopardize millions of jobs and further damage the already weakened US economy."

Ford said that while it is working to aggressively reduce costs it will continue to invest heavily in product development, including approximately 14 billion dollars over the next seven years to improve the fuel economy of its vehicles.

Ford said the comprehensive restructuring plan it presented to Congress will allow it to return to profitability by 2011

"While we clearly still have much more work to do, I am more convinced than ever that we have the right plan that will create a viable Ford going forward and position us for profitable growth," Mulally said.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well this is great news IMO. I'm not a Ford fan for sure... but I have a GREAT deal of respect for them now. Glad I bought that 500 shares of Ford when it was down :)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Ford is still mortgaged up to their eyeballs. Don't forget that.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Well, I think they will eventually say yes but good for them holding out. I think this whole bail out is a crock of crap but what do I know, I have pretty good job security.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Bailouts usually are all crap. Money is almost always lost and the big three will need more in the future. Bankrupcy is like natural selection for companies.

toyota made their first operating loss since their founding year. But because they have been efficiently run, they have $40Bn of cash available in their investment accounts. GM has none and ford had to mortgage ALL their property to raise money a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Ford's not struggling as hard... they have everything put together in Mexico. :-\

But I wouldn't throw one of their new Mustangs out of bed for eating crackers...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
But I wouldn't throw one of their new Mustangs out of bed for eating crackers...

So funny, I had a soldier working for me back in 2003 when we invaded, he said the same thing. I always thought it was a little strange. Anytime he saw a nice looking girl he would say "I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers".

Cracks me up to hear someone else say that

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Well let me tell y'all - that eating crackers in bed is nasty. Those little crumbs find the lowest spot on the mattress and you wake up in the morning with them stuck to your sweaty goodies - regardless if'n you a guy or a gal. ;)

I've also heard some guys say "Man, I'd drink her bath water" but let me tell ya something else - that I for one wouldn't drink ANY chicks bath water, no matter who she is or how hot she looks! Dirt is dirt fellas! ::)

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
My own personal take on the "wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers" was "not unless she wanted to do it on the floor",but that's neither here nor there.
Anyway,Terra,here is a list of Ford production facilities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories
They make vehicles and parts all over the world,but I'm pretty sure most of the American market imports are from Canada.
On this whole bailout BS debacle,The American car companies have sold us out to O.P.E.C. and to labor unions for years.I say they kiss can kiss our collective asses,file for bankruptcy so they can restructure and renegotiate labor contracts with unions and actually make cars people want to buy affordably and they might not go under.I hope Ford can make it without the money,It would give people more incentive to buy there products because they didn't have to take taxpayer money.
If your wondering what I mean about them selling us out to O.P.E.C,here's the deal.First the internal conbustion engine has been obsolete for maybe 50 years,and the technology has been there to make petroleum fueled engines much,much more efficient.So why hasn't the BIG THREE got on board? Money,The almighty dollar and a massive amount of it.A several hundred billion dollar a year industry will do "what it takes" to maintain their stranglehold on the market.Payoffs,bribes,up to and even including "getting rid " of prospective technology that could pose serious threat to their world domination.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Well let me tell y'all - that eating crackers in bed is nasty. Those little crumbs find the lowest spot on the mattress and you wake up in the morning with them stuck to your sweaty goodies - regardless if'n you a guy or a gal. ;)

I've also heard some guys say "Man, I'd drink her bath water" but let me tell ya something else - that I for one wouldn't drink ANY chicks bath water, no matter who she is or how hot she looks! Dirt is dirt fellas! ::)
TMI! TMI! :erm: :puke:

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Never mentioned anything about a 150 mpg carb.What I meant was the auto companies sell a 30mpg hybrid and act like their doing us a favor.You can't tell me the technology doesn't exist to be able to do much,much better as to fuel efficiency.We can put a man on the moon,build an atom bomb,but can't make a vehicle(cost effectively) get 80 mpg...WTF!There has been so much suppression of technology BECAUSE it would mean less profits for big oil.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

TMI! TMI! :erm: :puke:
Now c'mon Terra - Dr. Oz on Oprah talks about a LOT WORSE stuff than that! ;D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Ok, being 6 days older than dirt, I have heard the "wouldn't kick her out for eating crackers" saying since I was in high school way back when. Of course we didn't have crackers back then but dried mammoth hide that "cracked" when you bit into it. You young folks really need to step away from your Xbox and get out more. :)

On the topic of cars, my commuter car is a Prius. I get 46+MPG in city driving to and from work. Why didn't I buy an American vehicle? Because in 2005, no US auto maker offered anything close to it in terms of cost, MPG and quality (and still don't). The big three have been slow to react to a changing market and it has cost them. Labor costs are outrageous for them. I read that the average big three auto worker has an hourly rate (including benefits) of almost $75/hr. Compare that to foreign automakers at about the $26-$40 range. I am talking just US workers here, not cheap foreign labor. Rather than handouts from the government, they should file for bankruptcy like ever other company that gets into financial trouble. I do not know about suppressing patents, but I know we have the technology to do better than the crap Detroit is feeding us. The innovators in the auto field are these start-up companies producing electric or hybrid cars and foreign companies like Toyota. Sadly, Detroit has lost the initiative in auto manufacturing.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Never mentioned anything about a 150 mpg carb.What I meant was the auto companies sell a 30mpg hybrid and act like their doing us a favor.You can't tell me the technology doesn't exist to be able to do much,much better as to fuel efficiency.We can put a man on the moon,build an atom bomb,but can't make a vehicle(cost effectively) get 80 mpg...WTF!There has been so much suppression of technology BECAUSE it would mean less profits for big oil.
I hear ya man - I'm just yanking your chain. ;D

You overlook the obvious in that the American public (for the most part) is a society of excess and to feed that mindset, we need big gas guzzling cars and trucks that require lots of fuel. Hell I have a 1984 3/4 Ton GMC 4x4 with a 330HP V8 that gets 10MPG on a good day, and a Toyota Celica GT that gets 36MPG. The GF has a Ford Expedition that gets 14MPG and a Mini Cooper S that gets 32MPG. Am I stereotypical? ???

Looks like the Prius reigns as best overall for fuel economy.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Hell, I would've guessed the SmartCar got better mileage.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Naa Red I agree we,as a nation,need to understand that now more than ever need to reduce,with a goal towards eliminating the amount of petrol we consume from terrorist nations.We could,in a not so indirect way,be funding own own death bank accounts.I mean that we Americans are consumed by the bigger is better philosophy,and most of us have no need for a Super Duty F-350,or a Suburban or whatever the particular gas guzzler may be.Be that as it may the only time we stop buying said vehicles is when the cost of fuel doubles in price.
We need to change our mindset,as to how we consume fossil fuels.I truly believe energy Independence is one key to our national defense.The big problem is most Americans don't see that or if they do,ignore the problem thinking it will go away.Americans are spoiled and are used to getting what they want when they want it,and until another national attack,or disaster they seem to forget to quickly how fast things can go to hell,and more importantly WHY.
It's the same kinda folks who don't believe in concealed carry permits.They are happy to be ignorant of the dangerous world we now face,and are happy to shirk the responsibility of their own safety onto the shoulders of someone else.I fear nothing short of a very bad grand scale terrorist(as in much worse than Sept. 11th) attack,will wake them from their complacent slumber.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
This phenomenon of buying big because we can is huge in the military. You get a kid that is 20 years old, lives in the barracks, is given clothes, food, everything. The only thing he needs to provide money for is his entertainment. Now send this kid off to Iraq for a year where he really doesn't have anywhere to spend his money. Said kid comes home and buys an Escalade. Not because he needs it, heck, he is single living the the barracks. It just looks cool. Same goes for the latest sports cars, etc.

I own 2 large vehicles, a 3/4 4x4 (lifted to the sky) and an excursion (yeah, thats the really long one). I also have 4 kids, 2 dogs, a 24' trailer and travel when the army tells me to. Both trucks are diesel and I get 15-20MPG everyday of the week (depending how much I mash the go pedal).

Detroit should fold. They have lost the cutting edge. We pay our workers too much. I don't agree with the bailout. I am sorry for those that would be affected by job loss but that isn't the point. Detroit is the only one that offered what I was looking for in a truck and I love my trucks but if I bought a car it wouldn't be american made. Most american cars suck. The technology is too slow. They need a shakeup and this is Darwin shaking things up a bit. To bad it wont work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is interesting reading all the comments about Detroit.

First , I live in the Detroit area and I do have a different perspective. I have also traveled the world and have driven many Ford vehicles made outside the US or more correctly stated , the north American Market. In 2006, I drove as a Ford Galaxy 7 passenger van that got 48 mpg city , 56mpg hwy. The galaxy had a 2.2 direct injected turbo diesel engine mated to a 6 speed manual trans. It had all the bells and whistles in it ,Air, leather , electric moon roof , front and rear sonar bulit into the bumpers, LCD monitors in the headrests for the entertainment system of DVD's or video games, GPS ABS , traction control. etc....Plenty powerful enough with my family of four. Also drove a 73 MPG diesel Fiesta. In Brasil , there are 100% ethanol powered Fords. There is a two gallon petrol tank that allows cold weather starts and then switches to 100% ethanol automatically. Ford sells cars and trucks to meet local demand and needs.

The problem with the big Three is the USA!. Our EPA rules , overpriced diesel , poor quality control on diesel fuel products making meeting 2009 emission very difficult. Our expensive health care , non uniform laws and standards that not only change from state to state but city to city. Doing business in the 300 million USA is a nightmare compared to the 500 million EU where laws and standards have been standardized for the ease of commerce. Quite frankly , in my opinion, Ford doesn't need the USA to survive. It makes money outside the USA. It even made money in Iraq before our country invaded it. Yes, the Iraq flag flew outside Ford World Headquarters before Gulf War 1. Don't get politcial on me now-----------USA and Saddam were buds form many , many years.

I have family that works at Ford. I have personaly benefited from Ford. The company has been a stellar corporate citizen both in USA and abroad.The company has spent BILLIONS helping out in disasters without fanfare or publicity. Its employees give so much of their money and sweat to needy charities and worthwhile organiztions----it would blow your mind.I live five houses away from the lead engineer of the 4.6/5.4 liter gas engines. Live three houses away from a retired VP of Ford of Europe. Live 300 feet from the lead engineer of the light diesel for the F-150 to be sold in 2010. Live 8 houses from an engineer that 3 years ago drove a Hydrogen powered Focus for long term testing.-------USA does not have the Hydrogen infasturucture to support such vehicles------------BUT FORD HAD THESE THREE YEARS AGO and driving in my neighborhood. These people work their asses off doing their jobs. They make the world a better place.

Frankly we got damn sick and tired of the congressional hearings and jerks like Shelby that come from states that pour tax payers dollars into transplant companies and disses the companies that made America great. The big three aren't responsible for America's assinine fiscal responisbility to the economic downturn that has affected the world. The big three is already receiving economic help from Canada, France, Germany , Australia, Beligium, Argentina , Brasil. etc....
But my country, the USA, treats these companies like crap and complain about corporate airplanes when many in congress themselves ride on transportation provided by the biggest corporation -----the US military, in luxury Gulfstream, DC-9's,Boeing 757's, etc....

Robarms reminds me of Ford Mo. Co. Hardworking, innovative, with very dedicated employees like Terra. IT is true , I have a stake in the outcome. Isn't it sad that my family may have to leave USA in order to survive. Should have taken that three year assignment in Norway where I can not only take my XCR but own a full auto with supressor and go hunting with it---------------not sure that an American could do that there -but citizens of Norway can.

I'm PO'd to say the least. I have lived responsibly and saved for my retirement and now have lost 40+% of everything I have ever worked for. And now my and your jobs are on the line due to an out of control government with no fiscal responsibility. How many CEOS have been proscecuted under Sarbaines Oxley? Beleve me , Berney Makoff is just the beginning and a symbolic sacrafical lamb when our government has been doing the same thing for a lot longer than o'le Berney.

Ok, ok got to calm down, blood pressure getting higher. Well , if I croak , the family will be better off financially. Problem is, my life insurance is through AIG----------oh shit.

rant off.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Well let me make my position a little clearer as I should have already done so.I am a Ford fan,that said I would prefere any American car companies to foreign ones,IF they did produce a better product like they used to.Also,I want no one to misunderstand,I don't want to see anyone from any of the American auto companies to lose their job,hell I don't want anyone to.Believe me I appreciate the dedication of The employees,they are partial victims in this this mess.However I stand by my previous statement that the unions have gone to far in their demands and have chocked their ability to make cars affordably.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts