XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one that is wondering where our heads have went the last couple of months? I used to come to this forum daily and really enjoyed reading a lot of the posts. There are a bunch of people that I enjoy reading what they have to say and their expertise about a wide variety of topics. Not only the XCR, but pistols, other rifles, and in general just socialization.

Lately I'm having a hard time following some of the threads. There are many arguments stirring up in different posts. Sure they may be just differences of opinion but they get downright rude sometimes. Then other threads I'm not sure what they are doing here to begin with. There are certain areas of the forum which I'll generally avoid because of arguing and just things I don't follow or believe. I dont have a problem with people's opinions being different, but sometimes its just rude.

Am I alone? This is the only forum I frequent and I enjoy it, just wondering whats going on.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Evolution...

It sux, and when we start to see conspiracy theories, religion and politics being debated - it gets worse because it all goes to shit FAST.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Respect is key,disagree debate,even argue,but repsect yourself and more importantly others feeling and opinions and we won't have a degradation of our friendly atmosphere.In the end we are all in this together,or we are not,the choice is yours,together we can win,separate we are doomed.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Am I the only one that is wondering where our heads have went the last couple of months? I used to come to this forum daily and really enjoyed reading a lot of the posts. There are a bunch of people that I enjoy reading what they have to say and their expertise about a wide variety of topics. Not only the XCR, but pistols, other rifles, and in general just socialization.

Lately I'm having a hard time following some of the threads. There are many arguments stirring up in different posts. Sure they may be just differences of opinion but they get downright rude sometimes. Then other threads I'm not sure what they are doing here to begin with. There are certain areas of the forum which I'll generally avoid because of arguing and just things I don't follow or believe. I dont have a problem with people's opinions being different, but sometimes its just rude.

Am I alone? This is the only forum I frequent and I enjoy it, just wondering whats going on.
You noticed, huh.

I would say a few things have happened.

1. Our population has grown dramatically. More people = More kooks

2. The whining and debate section isn't being used. If you want to write something stupid, put it there. There is a politics section. If it's political, put it there. If you want to shoot the shit, use socializing.

This forum is well laid out for topics, however, people are not using the correct sections because they want attention, and GD is the most viewed section. Add the two and you have a GD section used for trolling and attention whores who want to stir people up.

Now I am not a fan of moderation, but I think we are slowly coming to a new era if this forum is to remain a place people enjoy posting in. The real tragic part is this is the only place to get decent XCR information, so if this forum sinks, it will take future XCR customers with it.

If people would just behave themselves, there wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
568 Posts

You noticed, huh.

I would say a few things have happened.

1. Our population has grown dramatically. More people = More kooks

2. The whining and debate section isn't being used. If you want to write something stupid, put it there. There is a politics section. If it's political, put it there. If you want to shoot the shit, use socializing.

This forum is well laid out for topics, however, people are not using the correct sections because they want attention, and GD is the most viewed section. Add the two and you have a GD section used for trolling and attention whores who want to stir people up.

Now I am not a fan of moderation, but I think we are slowly coming to a new era if this forum is to remain a place people enjoy posting in. The real tragic part is this is the only place to get decent XCR information, so if this forum sinks, it will take future XCR customers with it.

If people would just behave themselves, there wouldn't be a problem.
V.B. Are you reading my mind? ;)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
V.B. Are you reading my mind? ;)
There are plenty of gun forums that are known to be shithead hangouts. Like sigforum, and glocktalk, and ARFCOM. I just dont see why people want to turn XCRforum into the same type of asshole factory.

Post your topics in the correct section. If you feel the need to write something that is going to piss people off on purpose, do it in the endless debate and whining section. Asshole comments are actually welcome there.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
AND STAY ON TOPIC!!!

(Note - I am sometime guilty of this myself - but I don't take talk about magazines and hi-jack the thread to talk about politics)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Agreed and, guilty here too.
Nothing wrong with requesting a thread be moved when it turns for the worse.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
AND STAY ON TOPIC!!!

(Note - I am sometime guilty of this myself - but I don't take talk about magazines and hi-jack the thread to talk about politics)
True that. This is a big issue. Take your ADHD pills before you post if you have issues with focusing on a topic

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
There's some folks that take themselves way too seriously around here sometimes, at least how I've seen it. And with more and more people joining the ranks it's bound to happen that some toes will get stepped on. I don't mind so much some of the other stuff, I can skip past it or just not read it. I'll agree to the proper forum section for topics though. As far as staying on topic, yeah, I've done it, we all have! It's too easy to get sidetracked sometimes!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
More conflicting opinions are going to be the natural result of a steadily increasing member population.

Overall I agree with what VB said; if douche-magnet threads are moved to the endless debate+whining section immediately, the unpleasantness should be held to a minimum, though to be honest I haven't noticed much of it myself anyway. I usually don't read past the first sentence of thread that looks like it is heading for the shallow end of the IQ pool in T minus 2 posts, so I probably miss most of it.

Moderators are like officials in sports. They are doing their job the best when you don't even notice they are there 99% of the time. Right now we have that, IMO.

What this forum has going for it is that it is by far and away the best place I have found (the only place, really) where good XCR discussion can take place. Being a fan of the rifle, that is why I like it, and that is the quality that has to be maintained, I think.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Look we are all guilty of it at times. This does not make the forum bad. It is when people do it all the time. They should just be banned and their IP blocked after a short suspension time of like 3 months or so.

however, as far as getting of topic - it can be quite easy as there is usually an evolution of conversations. How many times have you been talking to someone about one thing and then a few minutes later, you are asking yourselves how you got on the current topic or asking what you were talkign about in the first place.

One topic leads to another topic. I also think people post just to post and add rank to their status. I never did like the whole ranking thing. It makes people post things just to post. So you get people who really have nothing to say, saying stupid things, or hijacking a thread.

maybe the admins just need to keep things in check by PM'ing warnings to those who appear to be abusing the forum.

:2cents:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Geez, I join up a couple of weeks ago, and then I read how all these new guys are turning the forum to cr*p. I'm going to start getting a complex. :D

I do agree that sometimes a legitimate thread can turn into a pissing contest between 2-3 stubborn posters determined to prove they are right, and that anyone who disagrees with them are dimwitted trolls who should be shot and whose progeny should be sterilized.

Also, people do need to post in the correct sections. Seems to me that discussions are more likely to get heated in the political section and there needs to be a higher level of tolerance in this area. But honestly, I've never been able to understand those people who come to blows over whether 9mm is an effective round or whether aimpoint or eotech makes the superior sighting system.

Of course, having said that, if any of those know-nothing posters from ARFCOM come over here and start talking about how the direct impingment gas system of their ARs is actually superior to the XCR they should immediately be banned, drawn and quartered. ;D

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Fellas, I have noticed a change and I, like most, know it is growing pains. I am just as guilty as the next guy with off topic posts, it is far easier to post something quick than it is to PM or Shout or start a new thread.

I have recently seen (in the past few months) some posts that woulnd't have been on here at all 4 months ago. What seems funny to some isn't even remotely funny to others. Being a public forum we have to be adults and know what is proper to discuss in public.

Posting in the sub-forum would help with lots of things. Again, it has already been discussed but the General forum gets the most looks and it is easiest to get a response by posting in there.

All of this is due to growth. The neighborhood isn't going to hell, it is just changing a little and isn't like what it was a year ago or even 6 months ago. I think there will come a time when we will need more than just Lex to run this place but for now I think a little self-moderation would go a long way.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Exactly! Self Moderation... I wanted to know about how I should go about mounting the new Magpul MS2 sling to the receiver eyelet. I could have very well posted it in the General forum. I knew if I did I would get yelled at rather quickly but I also knew that I would have been able to get my question answered very quickly in the GF. However, I decided I would post it in the appropriate forum, Swivels & Slings. Now it may tae me a bit longer to get the answer I am looking for, but hopefully I will before long.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
everyone just needs to relax.

on a related note to this thread, lex, is there a means to do a thread subscription system so I don't have to wade through a lot of the aforementioned threads when I'm checking the forum?

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
It's called having ants in your pants! Everyone is a little frustrated and on edge right now thanks to the ship dates, political climate, and lack of spy shots.

So if it makes anyone feel better... I held... in my little hands... a....PDW PROTOTYPE TODAY!!! OMG OMG!! Alex has promised pictures after testing. It's soooo cute!!!! :inlove:

I mean, er, superrr manly. :headscratch:

·
Registered
986 Posts
It's called having ants in your pants! Everyone is a little frustrated and on edge right now thanks to the ship dates, political climate, and lack of spy shots.

So if it makes anyone feel better... I held... in my little hands... a....PDW PROTOTYPE TODAY!!! OMG OMG!! Alex has promised pictures after testing. It's soooo cute!!!! :inlove:

I mean, er, superrr manly. :headscratch:
Terra,

That is an evil thing you have done... :hopmad: I won't believe it until I see it...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts