XCR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read an article (review) of the XCR by G&A mag. It stated that the barrel is not a free float barrel. I'm not sure how the author came to this conclusion. If he is stating that simply because of the gas system then there is not a single AR in existence that is free float.

Here is the exact quote "The barrel is not free-floated, as the gas tube, piston and valve are in contact with the barrel and the handguards."

This statement is true to every AR regardless of the handguard. As the gas tube and gas block are in contact with the barrel. :duh:

Or am I missing something. IF so please explain.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
No, that about sums it up. There isn't a single AR type rifle that I know if that is a "true" free float barrel in the correct sense of the word. The difference for me is you don't have lots of other things touching the barrel and I wouldn't think that the gas block on the piston assembly places much pressure on the barrel, in any dimension.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
+1 what AZ said,I don't think even the gas tube touches the barrel.I'll have to look now,I can't remember dang it! if it does though,anything at all touching it will effect it's harmonic vibration,and if it's not consistant(as in say a gas block would be) can possibly cause eratic groups.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
While the statement is technically correct, the XCR is as "free-floated" as a gas-operated rifle can be.

tk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts