XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23,135 Posts
Interested to see what he has to say.....

Not following that handguard. It's not a comp length and it has to be longer than the standard length since a 9.5" with the buried block is what should cover everything but the muzzle device.

Don't get me wrong...I love it. I'd buy that configuration right now as a 12.5" 5.56 makes a helluva lot more sense than a 9.5".

Guess I need to stop by RA's site to see what's changed in the configurator.

·
Registered
23,135 Posts
Comp length is like 15" right? That one has an extra mlok section. Almost like a standard length M upper?
Yeah...roughly 15" ish.....

I dunno what it is, but I like it....a lot. Looks to be standard length gas system...just buried.

·
Registered
23,135 Posts
Great more configurations!!!
Yeah...confusing AF, but I really dig this length upper....nice fit for 12.5" bbls. Still wish they'd make a -M length that actually covered everything but the muzzle device on the 16" bbls. The competition length really only covers everything with a 14.7".

·
Registered
23,135 Posts
Wondering if the 12.5" bbl and longer upper cross over the 120 oz. 'rule' in the ATF form 4999 with a KAK blade and AR adapter. Betting they very well may.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A couple weeks ago, I stumbled across the "Why Navy Seals Hate The SCAR" video on juxxi.
Felt a bit better about the XCR after watching it.

A couple days ago, I watched Garand Thumb's review of the SCAR:
Very different take. After he threw several hundred dollars worth of aftermarket parts on it. Seemed more of a review of his choice of trigger group, butt stock, hand guard, flash hider with warranty voiding silencer, etc., on the $3,XXX rifle, that apparently has a lot less failure to fire problems.

I'm a little worried if the playing field will be level. No aftermarket trigger group. He can't install his favorite butt stock without tracking down the guy who makes the adapters. Doing XCR specific hand guard covers involves using a band saw and drill press.

Owning an XCR is a lot like building and racing a non-Honda car in the 1990's. It takes more effort to set it up, because everything has to be custom made, and nothing is off-the-shelf. It works better than all the cars that everyone bought because it was easy. No one ever gives it a fair review, because they are going to compare a bone stock of what you built to the highly modified car that everyone bought. And everyone is going to ask you why you fight to do everything the hard way, instead of joining them in doing it the easy way... ...until 30 years later, when they all wish they had followed your example, instead of doing it the easy way.

·
Registered
23,135 Posts
A couple weeks ago, I stumbled across the "Why Navy Seals Hate The SCAR" video on juxxi.
Felt a bit better about the XCR after watching it.

A couple days ago, I watched Garand Thumb's review of the SCAR:
Very different take. After he threw several hundred dollars worth of aftermarket parts on it. Seemed more of a review of his choice of trigger group, butt stock, hand guard, flash hider with warranty voiding silencer, etc., on the $3,XXX rifle, that apparently has a lot less failure to fire problems.

I'm a little worried if the playing field will be level. No aftermarket trigger group. He can't install his favorite butt stock without tracking down the guy who makes the adapters. Doing XCR specific hand guard covers involves using a band saw and drill press.

Owning an XCR is a lot like building and racing a non-Honda car in the 1990's. It takes more effort to set it up, because everything has to be custom made, and nothing is off-the-shelf. It works better than all the cars that everyone bought because it was easy. No one ever gives it a fair review, because they are going to compare a bone stock of what you built to the highly modified car that everyone bought. And everyone is going to ask you why you fight to do everything the hard way, instead of joining them in doing it the easy way... ...until 30 years later, when they all wish they had followed your example, instead of doing it the easy way.
Flip side is: If he says it's awesome (except for the weight and the boutique factor).....the wait for one may go up exponentially. RA can't keep up with demand as is. Good problem to have, to a point.

·
Registered
23,135 Posts
JFYI...nothing in the configurator about this new length upper (longer than standard, shorter than competition)....but the website ordering software is messed up too right now....so that may be the issue.

Reactions: themousethatroared

·
Registered
23,135 Posts
I think it will be a while. He usually gets things to around the 5k mark before putting a video together.
That definitely makes sense. I wonder if it's a loaner from RA (or a friend) for T&E....I'd guess one or the other.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The last video four days ago was for the Sig MCX Spear L, which was just released four or five days ago. Reviews from every source, all coordinated, everyone wants to be the first to publish at the moment the company says they can.
Things like that would get in the way of a review of a orphan rifle that has been out for years.

Also, rave review of the Spear L. And he had all his crap bolted on, with his favorite trigger installed.

I checked, his favorite trigger company does not make a trigger for the XCR.

·
Super Moderator
298 Posts
The last video four days ago was for the Sig MCX Spear L, which was just released four or five days ago. Reviews from every source, all coordinated, everyone wants to be the first to publish at the moment the company says they can.
Things like that would get in the way of a review of a orphan rifle that has been out for years.

Also, rave review of the Spear L. And he had all his crap bolted on, with his favorite trigger installed.

I checked, his favorite trigger company does not make a trigger for the XCR.
He's had the mcx for a while, it was just under review embargo. See also: Leviathan group shilling

·
Registered
23,135 Posts
He's had the mcx for a while, it was just under review embargo. See also: Leviathan group shilling
I think the fact that the Army is going Spear and will be what he's using in actual combat operations is also a big reason he's making such an investment.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts