XCR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
This week's video from Garand Thumb is a review of the new squad optic that goes with the new squad rifles. His pattern has been one video a week, so the XCR will apparently not be this week's video.

Starting to look a lot like Robinson's manufacturing lead time on the release of the Garand Thumb video review of the Robinson rifle.

Not complaining. 52 good short movies a year is better than I could do. It's a lot like waiting for Santa.

· Registered
617 Posts
So he posted a short reel running the XCR on the 19th and a 2 photos of it on the 20th.

I’m guessing he’s done filming with it.

On the 21st he posted a photo that came from this weeks video so maybe in the next week or so we will see the XCR video drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So he posted a short reel running the XCR on the 19th and a 2 photos of it on the 20th.

I’m guessing he’s done filming with it.

On the 21st he posted a photo that came from this weeks video so maybe in the next week or so we will see the XCR video drop.

For anyone looking for them:

here: http://instagr.am/p/Cj-sHxerMHy/
and here: http://instagr.am/p/Cj5h-rsDzyw/
Really like the way that Surefire mini suppressor looks on it. It butts right up against the handguard. I need to get a Competition XCR. :cry:
Anyone heard how much longer until their builder is working again on their website?

· Registered
617 Posts
For anyone looking for them:

here: http://instagr.am/p/Cj-sHxerMHy/
and here: http://instagr.am/p/Cj5h-rsDzyw/
Really like the way that Surefire mini suppressor looks on it. It butts right up against the handguard. I need to get a Competition XCR. :cry:
Anyone heard how much longer until their builder is working again on their website?
It’s not a competition upper though right? It’s somewhere in the middle I thought. Some new length.

A standard upper with a 9.5” barrel will look the same way with a can and a competition will do it with a 14.5” I thought.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
It’s not a competition upper though right? It’s somewhere in the middle I though. Some new length.

A standard upper with a 9.5” barrel will look the same way with a can and a competition will do it with a 14.5” I thought.

Correct. Not a comp or standard upper. In between (and not shown on the website). Competition is for a 16" bbl in the -L....14.5" in the -M. I'm not certain, but I think the flats for a standard A2 would be inside the handguard on a competition -L with a 14.5" bbl.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
Also I talked to RobArms on Instagram and they said that the handguard length here is the midlength. Just ask for it when ordering and they'll make it happen.
But will they make it in superior ;) Keymod?

· Registered
115 Posts
I must have checked five minutes before they posted it.

He starts with "Geissele does not have a trigger for this...".

He says he "needed" the longer upper. That sounds like he had enough juice to get Robinson to lop off a competition length upper for his special order. (Previous question: Does he have enough juice with Geissele to get them to make a trigger for the XCR. Previous response: "No.")

The one delivered was more accurate than the manufacturer suggested. It performed better than the SCAR in the Peru tests.

Loctite the ejector, and aside from that, all was bliss.

· Registered
617 Posts
I don’t think he mentioned how easy it is to swap calibers.

Kind of the whole point to the rifle.

Quality review though. Sounded like he really likes it but it didn’t blow his shorts off. Honestly, my feelings as well. I really like the gun. It’s not the absolute best, but it’s a solid platform that works. And I would also echo the sentiments about too many hex head bolts. They strip way too easy. I’d prefer torx and/or a Philips head or 2. In fact I swapped my grip bolt out for a Philips because I don’t own a hex key long enough to reach it.

· Registered
148 Posts
He also forgot to mention that the charging handle doubles up as a forward assist.

And that's going to be a negative on the Philips head screws for me. The Philips was designed to strip out. At the time a flat head/standard was the only other common screw design and if it bogged down it would snap the screw. The Philips was designed to strip out so it could be grabbed with plyers and worked back out. .

My experience with torx screws is much more favorable.

· Registered
23,255 Posts

Quality review though. Sounded like he really likes it but it didn’t blow his shorts off. Honestly, my feelings as well. I really like the gun. It’s not the absolute best, but it’s a solid platform that works. And I would also echo the sentiments about too many hex head bolts. They strip way too easy. I’d prefer torx and/or a Philips head or 2. In fact I swapped my grip bolt out for a Philips because I don’t own a hex key long enough to reach it.

He also forgot to mention that the charging handle doubles up as a forward assist.

And that's going to be a negative on the Philips head screws for me. The Philips was designed to strip out. At the time a flat head/standard was the only other common screw design and if it bogged down it would snap the screw. The Philips was designed to strip out so it could be grabbed with plyers and worked back out. .

My experience with torx screws is much more favorable.
And I hate Torx...more likely to strip than Hex IME. But agree...Phillips sux.

· Registered
115 Posts

I would think that he would want to do more than just mention the caliber swap.

I would think he would want to demonstrate a caliber swap.

Run through a magazine of 5.56. Yank the barrel. Put in a 300 Blackout barrel. Run through a magazine of 300 Blackout.

23 minutes of video. A couple minutes for a barrel swap. Cut a few minutes of shooting Ron Jeremy targets.

Black oxide finish socket head cap screws, like used in the XCR, are usually something like 12.9 grade. It seems more common to round off the end of an Allen wrench, than the screw head. I've broken hex sockets in socket head cap screw head bolts. The socket bits seem to be hardened.
They use socket head cap screws for head bolts on automobile engines (larger bolt, but same type and same grade).

I don't think I have ever seen anyone try to torque a Phillips head screw.

I'm more a fan of threaded fasteners than rivets. Rivets pretty much mean that I can't service a firearm and have to take it to someone to do the work for me.

Edit note: Added the black oxide detail to the comment about black oxide socket head cap screws normally being high strength bolts.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
I would think that he would want to do more than just mention the caliber swap.

I would think he would want to demonstrate a caliber swap.

Run through a magazine of 5.56. Yank the barrel. Put in a 300 Blackout barrel. Run through a magazine of 300 Blackout.

23 minutes of video. A couple minutes for a barrel swap. Cut a few minutes of shooting Ron Jeremy targets.

Socket head cap screws are usually something like 12.9 grade. It seems more common to round off the end of an Allen wrench, than the screw head. I've broken hex sockets in socket head cap screw head bolts. They seem to be hardened.
They use socket head cap screws for head bolts on automobile engines (larger bolt, but same type and same grade).

I don't think I have ever seen anyone try to torque a Phillips head screw.

I'm more a fan of threaded fasteners than rivets. Rivets pretty much mean that I can't service a firearm and have to take it to someone to do the work for me.
There are grades of all of them, like anything else. Metrics are usually 8.8 and 10.9 EDIT...this is reference to regular hex head metric bolts**. SAE and metric SHCS are typically 160-170KSI.

· Registered
23,255 Posts
And I think that's really the point. The XCR is end user serviceable....something "grunts" aren't supposed to be smart enough to be able to handle. I get it.....but to me, it's an advantage, not a disadvantage.

· Registered
617 Posts
As far as screws go, like others have mentioned, there are grades. Having said that, I’ve seen far more hex heads stripped than torx.

For Phillips, I’ve never seen one stripped when used in a low torque application. The problem is most folks use the wrong size Philips head bit and a drill, so when combined they strip a screw very easily.

I think the grip screw is a perfect example of where a Philips would excel.

But back on point, RA said on a Facebook post their site crashed due to the extra traffic.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts