XCR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I understand correctly, the attachment of a suppressor ups the gassing through back pressure for a given setting, yes?

If a rifle normally operates with gas setting 2, then when a suppressor is attached should the gas be set to S, assuming regular ammo?

Now, what if the ammo is changed to subsonic? Will the rifle still cycle at gas setting S or should it need gas setting 1? Or will it not dependably cycle and therefore the gas should be set between 4 and S, and the bolt manually operated?

Is it a "give it what it takes" scenario, i.e. just see what happens and up the gas as needed?

Any history on this from other members?

For the sake of discussion: Is a person whose rifle normally operates on gas setting 4 better off for suppressor and subsonic use because he has more adjustment downwards?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
If a rifle is only throwing brass 7-12 feet on setting 4 there are some issues, it should be throwing them about 30 feet on that setting.

You would use the S setting to turn down the gas, overgassing can (over time) lead to wear of weapon parts. I personally have never tried to shoot subsonic 5.56, heard it is too difficult to get a gun to cycle with it. Even on setting 4 I thing you would have issues.

Shooting suppressed is dirty, I would want to keep as much gas out of the chamber as I can. It isn't as bad on an XCR as an AR but it still gets dirty. I can always tell when I forget to turn down the gas, the felt recoil is much more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Resurrecting thread because I want to use a suppressor on the XCR-L on a regular basis. Is the gas setting you need to shoot suppressed the same for all XCRs or is it different depending on the case?

Also, what suppressor does everyone recommend for 5.56? What about for other calibers? You can get suppressors for anything but is there a specific brand or design that works well with the XCR platform?

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
Well, if you get a flow through can, you don't have to change the gas setting at all since the cyclic rate isn't affected like with a sealed one.

OSS and X2 Development Group are the only 2 flow through can companies out there right now to my knowledge. I didn't like how OSS treated the original owner (an SF guy would came up with the design). X2's stuff (I have 2 of their cans) is insane in terms of the complexity of how it's machined.....light years ahead in that regard. No bbl limit restrictions. They are a little bigger diameter and are a little heavier than some, but do a good job of suppressing....even on a 9" bbl 7.62x39, it's hearing safe with their 7.62 can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, if you get a flow through can, you don't have to change the gas setting at all since the cyclic rate isn't affected like with a sealed one.
Interesting, I never though about flow-through designs. Is this design better for the XCR because it uses a gas piston? Are there restrictions about how close the gas port is from the suppressor? I'll consider X2's equipment.

Is it a "give it what it takes" scenario, i.e. just see what happens and up the gas as needed?
Has anything changed with the XCR in terms of what kind of ammo to use for suppressed firing? I'm honestly just going to use 55 grain 5.56 most of the time for practice and self-defense and 6.5 Grendel for serious applications. Is subsonic the best for shooting suppressed with both calibers?

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
No, it's better for any gun. No real increase in gas blowback to the shooter's face, no real increase in mag fouling, no real increase in cyclic rate means the gun isn't getting beat to shit by overgassing. Nothing to do with piston vs. DI.

No restrictions on the X2 cans.

Keep in mind a sub is quiet. That's really the only purpose...getting velocity down below the speed of sound, usually via a heavier bullet.

Look at it this way: .45ACP has 180 grain projectiles available. If you took a 180 grain .308 round and suppressed it and loaded it to be subsonic, there would be very little difference between the two in terms of ballistic energy to the target. At 100 yards, there's a ton of drop to a heavy, underpowered projectile like that. It only gets worse with more distance.

Other than noise reduction, there's little advantage to a subsonic round. Suppressors are good for suppressing flash and making it difficult to tell where a supersonic round came from...and obviously making subs very quiet.

JMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wonder if using a larger can (for 7.62 or .308) for a smaller bullet (5.56) would take away any performance in the sound dampening? I want to use one can for two different calibers (5.56 and 6.5 Grendel) and 1) suppressors for 6.5 are kinda uncommon and 2) cans are expensive and I want to get the most use out of it.

·
Registered
21,970 Posts
I wonder if using a larger can (for 7.62 or .308) for a smaller bullet (5.56) would take away any performance in the sound dampening? I want to use one can for two different calibers (5.56 and 6.5 Grendel) and 1) suppressors for 6.5 are kinda uncommon and 2) cans are expensive and I want to get the most use out of it.
Yes, using a .308 can on a 5.56 will make it louder. A lot louder? Not in my experience. If it's your first can, I'd say get .308 so you can use it with anything .308 and smaller (also big enough for X39 which are often .312...provided your bbl is concentric...AKs are known for being out of round...always use a bore bar to ensure your can won't get baffle strikes when mounting on a bbl for the first time. You won't find a 6.5G can readily. Just go .308 and be done with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts