XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have the bolt locked back or removed.
"Ears" are what I'm calling the protrusions between settings.

I can set the gas valve to every setting with my fingers except #4. I burn my fingers when it is hot; but, that's a different issue. ;D
When I set it to 4, in either direction, I need to use a cartridge or tool in the big hole to move it the last half "ear" distance.

I can not tell what is binding. I think it might be the "ears" on the gas valve rubbing on the gas valve detent.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
This might sound like a dumbass question,but have you cleaned it lately?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yeah, you will get some carbon buildup on the gas plug. I make sure to scrape it off pretty good when I clean.

If that doesnt do it, maybe you can smooth the edges with some super fine (600grit) paper.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fouling does build up quick.
I have cleaned it come more. But it still behaves the same.
I guess one good thing is it tells me where #4 is so I don't have to squint trying to read the numbers.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Has it always been that way or is this a new thing?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
The old grunt in me says if it still works, don't worry about it! :D

It might be just a machining anomaly in the plug. Maybe pick up a spare (wouldn't hurt to have a spare of anything) and see if it has the same trouble. If it does, then it might be a problem in the gas block itself; excess parkerizing, etc, etc. This would be a low cost remedial troubleshooting step.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
You could alway try polishing the outside of the valve that contacts the block.That might just smooth it right up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts