XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to figure out a way to post the videos, okay? :duh:

The weekend before last Robert from Talon Arms let me try out a Gem Tech G5 on my XCR. We were using Winchester 5.56mm 62gr FMJ, I don't remember the part number. We fired 10 rounds at the "S" setting to get an idea of what it sounded like suppressed, everyone was impressed. It sounded something like a .22LR. We then attempted to fire 10 rounds after removing the can as a comparison, but forgot to return the setting to "4." We kept getting double feeds and failures to extract, until I figured out what I was doing wrong, then it ran great. Once again, operator error.

Robert then let me try out some subsonic 5.56mm, everyone was really impressed, to make a comparison the XCR and G5 together with the subsonic ammo sounded as if you moderately clapped your hands together. Very, very quiet! So now I'm in the process of creating a trust and my first purchases will be for a Gem Tech G5, a Walther P22 along with an unknown type of suppressor. And very soon a XCR SBR.

Okay, a two shout outs. Mitsy Barajas has done a fantastic job of creating my trust and revising my will. I will warn you though, you will get what you pay for. Robert from Talon Arms is a great guy and I can't wait until he starts selling XCR's. I believe he's learning about this weapon system why we are such fans of it, multi-caliber, designed for use with a suppressor, and enough real estate to put darn near every scope, light, laser, phaser, taser that you could possibly want. So if you live in the Houston, Texas area give them both a call, and tell them Cruzzer sent you.

http://www.nfa-trusts.com/
http://talonarms.com/talonarms/index.php

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Did that sub-sonic ammo cycle the action?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The subsonic ammo that we used did not, but I was informed that there is some subsonic that will. I'm not sure how much I would purchase, as I was told that it is around $3.00 a pop. Sixty dollars for twenty rounds? that's a little steep for me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking Wal-Mart brand Macaroni & Cheese, cause Kraft Mac & Cheese is too expensive. Or maybe FEMA MRE handouts?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time line

10-30-08 USPS Priority Mailed my forms to BATFE.

11-04-08 BATFE cashed my check. COME ON BIG MAC! WIN THE WHITEHOUSE!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Try this site first:

http://www.silencertests.com/

Then talk to folks that own cans...

I have an AAC M4-2000 and AAC Ranger. I like 'em both VERY much.

Aussie has a Gemtech - on an SBR XCR (11"), but we have yet to get together to compare them...

I have an SBR AR15 (LMT) and a standard 16" RRA Entry Tactical.

Shop around... you'll find what you like! ;D

Oh, and I highly recommend submitting a trust... :2cents:

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
The few Gemtechs that've blown were on full-autos and were being shot to sh!t. You should be fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys, just to hedge my bets I've just ran my card again and purchased an AAC M4-2000. I'm sending the paperwork to BATFE tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to celebrate President Obama's inauguration :duh: by testing both cans at the same time. I've heard that they are both good cans, so I'll be able to find out for myself. ;D

I'm also expecting a check from Uncle Sam, and if it comes in the next few days that cash is going to a 7.62 can. Any recommendations for a USMC M-40A1 and double duty on a SOCOM M1A?

This is the guy who made my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

http://texasbrigadearmory.com/m40a1.htm

Trust route was the way that I went. If you live near Houston I recommend my attorney Mitsy. Not only is she cute as a button, she's a serious "firearms enthusiast".

http://nfa-trusts.com/

Semper Fi!

Cruzzer

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I will be ordering a 762SD. After hearing it I have to have one. You may be able to send the rifle to Tornado tech and have them cut/rethread the barrel.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Mike Lau made one of my rifles about eight years ago, be nice to compare them to see how he stacks up over the years! Took me another three years after that for US Optics to sell their MST100's so it would be complete...and then Unertl starting selling them shortly after... :'(

I'd go with an AAC Cyclone for 7.62. It's a direct thread but unless you want to put a flash hider mount on your bolt rifle it's basically their 762SD without the fancy mount.

M1A's and clones are a little more finicky for cans. I'd recommend getting in touch with a good M14 'smith because the excess pressure can wreak havoc on your op rod and beat up your rifle. The SOCOM's are good guns, but the Scout version is a little better, in my humble opnion, becasue IIRC they take standard M1A/USGI M14 parts while the SOCOM has proprietary parts like the op rod. I worry about stuff like that though.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
hey cruzzer, how much does that mitsy lady charge to set up a trust for you?

I've been meaning to get set up for months and I have some software to make one, but I'm not particularly confident in it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A local FFL/SOT hooked me up with one.

You basically substitute your name and those who you appoint in your trust - proof read - print - get notarized - and SEND IT AWAY!!!

I have an electronic copy (somewhere) I can e-mail you... FREE

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I think I emailed Misty at one time and it was a little over $500. Very reasonable for a lawyer to draw up a Trust but I am not sure if it is required for NFA items. i think quicken willmaker does a pretty good job but I did have mine looked over by a lawyer after I drew it up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sure there are less expensive ways to do a trust, but I also needed a will and I feel more comfortable with an attorney doing it. As they say, "you get what you pay for."

As far as a 7.62 suppressor, I've decided to go with a PTR-91 (HK-91 Copy). The ones that I've gotten my hands on were very well built and the price was right, $965.00 for the PTR-01 vs. $1600.00 for the Springfield Scout, which I still may get. Either way, I'll have something semi-auto in 7.62 to suppress. Oh yeah, and I bought twenty-five steel magazines for $65.00, and twenty-five aluminum magazines for $45.00!

BATFE cashed my check on election day. :duh: Tuesday, November 18th will be week two. I'm not impatient, I just can't stand waiting. ;D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I am in no way saying that an attorney (especially a knowledgeable one!) is not the way to go - but I did mine for $0 - and have 100% success with the last two suppressor purchases.

In this instance, I disagree with the "you get what you pay for" sentiment - but hey - it still comes down to DO WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST FOR YOU. :2cents:

Regardless - keep us posted on the final outcome!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with you, if you did it for $0 and everything is working out...gravy. Me, I'm more comfortable with a "mouth piece". What ever your comfort level is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What subsonic ammo were you using? Last I studied this issue there were only two options to get subsonic velocities out of 5.56:

1. Significantly reduce powder load and risk an explosion. (Due to an unreliable phenomenon that can happen where heated loose powder in a confined space separates into gaseous bases before burning which can detonate.) Even without the risk of detonation you might as well just shoot .22LR for that velocity and bullet weight.
2. Use a significantly heavier bullet and ruin your can because normal twist rates won't stabilize it.

Neither option seemed attractive at the time....

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
My class III buddy uses Trailboss for his subsonic .308 loads, don't know if it would work in .223 also. Something about it taking up more case capacity I think he said.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts