XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at two suppressors; the first one for both my XCR-L (7.62 x 39) and my XCR-M (.308); and the second one for my Accuracy International .338 Lapua Magnum.

I've narrowed down my choices to Gemtech or Advanced Armaments Company; each company has the two suppressors.

AAC has put out a video undercutting the Gemtech G5 suppressor.

I actually thought the AAC video was ameteurish and likely biased.

In spite of the video, I've been told that both companies make good products.

I'd appreciate any inputs from the Forum from people who have actually used Gemtech and AAC suppressors in .308/7.62 x 39 and 338 Lapua.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The video did appear to be on the amateur side, I will say that. I have heard the G5 and M42000 together and they were very similar. I am going to assume that you are looking at getting the 7.62SD or the Gemtech HVT. They are both great cans and the recent tests on Silencerresearch.com confirm that. Find a dealer that sells both and try to shoot them.

I can't help you on the .338, with I could.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Despite what the marketing adds tell you, there is really no rocket science to Mufflers.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am known for being really annoyed with AAC's advertising. I think they are total lames about trying to make everyone else look bad.

Despite me not being an AAC fanboy I would recommend hearing them both on the same rifle before buying them.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I had occasion to recently try a side by side comparison of my AAC cans with Aussie's Gemtechs and we found no discernable difference.

Now I wouldn't call myself an AAC fanboy, but I have found the quality to be high. In the same context, I find Gemtech products to be appealing as well. The only can I have seen/heard that I said to myself ("I wouldn't waste my money on that...") was the Tactical Innovations TAC16. It truly was (IMO) junk.

I would give greater credibility to these tests if they were to conduct a series where they had TWO (or multiple) shooters all shooting weapons of the same configuration - using the same ammo - at the same time.

To me - this kind of test would speak volumes and all but eliminate any claims of bias. :2cents:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Totaly biased,

But AAC seems like the "cool" tactical company that wants to make freinds with you

Gemtech seems like that corporate giant that has alot of government contracts..

but what do I know :)

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Jet is the way to go for .338LM.

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
0000044977 said:
Gemtech seems like that corporate giant that has alot of government contracts..
You are joking right??? Alot of Government Contracts??? To my knowledge they've had 1, ONE, UNO, Government Contract... It was not even for silencers. Lanyards IIRC.
Yeah, they don't have any silencers in the military under contract that I know of. Most cans you run across will be Knights and AAC with a few Surefires trickling in.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
The only cans I've seen under govt contract are KAC for the M4, MK11, MK13 and MK23's, Surefire's on the MK14 EBR MOD1, and OPS Inc for the MK12. The KAC's are junk that I've seen numerous baffle strikes on (even brand new) and the OPS Inc are money. I know of a guy who had his 416 cut down and had the OPS Inc collar and MB installed. It was roughly the same size as the MK18 w/QD attached, but quieter.

AZ, who'd you see with the AAC? I know the Army does alot of COTS as I've heard the 1/10th guys in Germany are trying out POF's and LWRC's.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Forgot about the OPs stuff. They make good cans and I think a few of the LRS units have them. I think a few of the Ranger Battalions have AAC stuff but I haven't been able to confirm it. I know some of the teams have AAC. The LRS unit I was working with up near Mosul was in the process of ordering AAC cans.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Here are some pics of the issued weapons used by the 20th SOS out of Hurlburt Field. I visited with my son prior to the squadron closure this past October, and we took a couple M4's with Knights suppressor out to the range.

I found the KAC can to be somewhat louder than my M4-2000 Mod7, but I suspect the M855 ammo was a contributing factor.

I wish I had taken the opportunity to perform a side by side comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
AZ, must've been some crack deal WC Teams were working. Unless you're DEV, the process to test or use anything other than issue is long and drawn out. When the powers that be found out that the WC guys were having Magpul send them stuff instead of going through the proper channels they went high and right.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The KAC's are junk that I've seen numerous baffle strikes on (even brand new)
I would agree that the KAC's are stale in comparison to other manufacturers. I found the KAC can to be rather heavy and that the perforated shroud offered nothing in the way of practical value.

I also found it interesting that the Spec Ops guys actually had a tactical procedure so that in the event of suppressor failure or malf, they were instructed to activate the release cam and SHOOT the can off and away from the weapon.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
What's funny is how almost everybody believes our guys carry/use suppressors on their M4's to suppress the sound. When Crane first picked up KAC's QD, they did it purely for flash suppression. Sound suppression was an added bonus.

We did a comparison at one of our indoor training ranges and they compared a 10" (MK18) running the KAC QD side by side with a 10" with a BE Meyers flash suppressor. Without a doubt the BE Meyers suppressed more flash than the KAC. After awhile the guys just stopped using the KAC.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Since AAC now has a few NSNs I wanted to try and get some for my unit, carry on the plane for an E&E situation. Of course I couldn't get anyone to buy off on that one.

I just sold my BE Meyers unit to gunner, I think I was the first person to call them and ask to buy one, the lasy said they only sold to MIL and I had to send a copy of my ID. I guess that was a few years ago.

The KAC stuff is heavy and no, it doesn't provide the best suppression but they are built tough and can take a beating.

·
Registered
964 Posts
My buddy has a gemtech on his TRG. Seems to work well. I have a AAC on my 22... yes it is just a 22 but damn! Dead quiet. I don't think you would go wrong with either. Which one costs less?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts