XCR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to snoop around the XCR forums quite a bit back in 2007... Through 20... something? I endured the perpetual wait for the new XCR stock to come out before ordering one and then got distracted when it finally did come out and never got around to it...

So now I'm back. And... There is a lot of changes to the rifle. Particularly the gas block configurations. So, someone help me out here. Why are there 3 different gas block configurations offered now? Competition, Standard Exposed, and Short Exposed?

I was surprised I couldn't find and explanation of the differences and reasoning behind them on the Robinson website. But maybe its their and I just couldn't find it. Anyway, could someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
Those aren't gas block configs. They are upper configurations for exposed or buried blocks. The Type 3, IMO is the best of the bunch. The Type 1 isn't offered anymore on new builds. The Type 2 is offered mainly on some M models....though they have made a few L models with the Type 2 tappet.

What are you wanting to buy/have built? Answer that and we can give you an idea as to what gas block location as well as Type is best suited to what you're trying to accomplish.

Reactions: TexasChris

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
type 0: original 4 postion, tool required to adjust, specific piston head.
type 1: 5 position, finger adjustable. New piston head (type 1) and gas tube(type 1), won't fit inside handguard.
type 2: Forget the # of postions but big difference is tappet style/short stroke operation vs the orginal long stroke. Specific piston head and gas tube(type 2 for both). won't fit inside handguard.
type 3 gas: 8 postions, fits under/in handguards, uses same piston head as type 1, different gas tube(type 3). Much more flexible and adjustable than the type 1.

shortest to longest gas systems.

micro: allows down to 7.5" barrel
blackout: slightly longer than the micro but allows for easy adjustability of the block in a "standard" upper
mini: slight longer. Thinks its 9.5"ish on the barrel lengths
standard: gas block just in front of a standard upper. 11" (I've had a 10.5" but it was custom cut) or longer.

Depending on block and gas system length you can opt for covered or exposed gas blocks with whichever handguard length you'd like so long as the muzzle is past the end of the handguard. Some combos may have issues with being able to adjust the dial.

OPTIONS!!! Reasoning is up to the buyer. Shorter gas system, higher pressure and vice versa. Do you have monkey arms and like to c-clamp? Rest your handguard on barricades? COMPETITION Length. Want something short and angry? Micro gas length with a mini or micro upper!!

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
It's 6. Old information that I somehow remembered.

So does RA still make these old style parts? It must be hard on logistics to keep those things in order.
They still make Type 2 and 3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts