XCR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before we all jump on the Media Bandwagon , Did any of you know that Georgia is well over 60% Muslim and growing?
Osstia and Abkazia are 99% Christian ?
Hummm ,that may just make some people think different don't you think?

Go ahead ,Google it , who's side should we be on ? If you remove osstia and abkzia from the population you come up with 60% Islam.
http://www.jamestown.org/terrorism/news/article.php?articleid=2369735

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Re: Oh yea , Did you know ??

I thought the Crusades where over... ???

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I find it ironic that the thread you made before this one had a link to where Putin says that terrorism has nothing to do with religion but radicalism in general. Then you turn around and try to make the conflict in Georgia about religion.

Radical Christians are just as evil as radical Muslims, radical Jews or radical Hindus.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't care if they are Muslims or not , The two peoples have not gotten along sense way before the Soviet Union .
Most people who know that region say they never will , and this has been brewing for years now.
This was written by a guy on another forum who had spent some time over there.

Georgia started this and Russia kicked their butts,,,We DO NOT need to get involved. Georgia wanted Ossetia to be part of their country and Georgia shot/killed citizens and Russian aid workers. Now the Georgian president wants to run and cry to America. Look into this from both sides and see for yourself. It is as much B/S as the "Bigfoot" body this past week! I dont really like Putin but Russia's military is very big( but underpaid). My wife is from Ukraine and I really did enjoy seeing Russia and Ukraine. BTW the ad on the left is pretty close to the truth,,,the women there are GREAT!!

I don't want to see America drug into another pissing contest , It seems the people have migrated to where they want to live there ,so all party's need to stop shooting now.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
The press is very one sided, they are making the Russians the big bad guys here. I know there must be years of stuff that lead up to this.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
The press is very one sided, they are making the Russians the big bad guys here. I know there must be years of stuff that lead up to this.
Well lets be honest, Georgia led an offensive into Ossetia, and the Russian reaction wasnt exactly a shocker.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im on OUR side.
I bielive we have plenty on our plate as it is. Wheres the UN and NATO with all of this going on?

Screw the pipe line.
vinz

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Well lets be honest, Georgia led an offensive into Ossetia, and the Russian reaction wasnt exactly a shocker.
This may be valid but what does Russia have to do with Georgias offensive into Ossetia?

What does Russia want with Ossetia? As far as I know there is nothing there other than some mountains and some sheep. It's located smack in the middle of Georgia.

So, my question: Why is it okay for Russia to take over Ossetia (metaphorically speaking they air dropped Russian passports over the entire region, then started paying out social security and other benefits, they bought the country) but it is not okay for Georgia to do the same?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lex i believe this goes back at least to the fall of the USSR.
Georgia had one of the largest Soviet ICBM networks in the old USSR.
Russia wanted the missiles back , I do remember it was a tense deal for awhile but i cant remember what the outcome was.
The Tunnels and some Silos were in Osstia and Aabkzia.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The 'lack o' love' Georgia have for Russia (and visa versa) goes back centuries. These recent Russia-Georgia shenanigans are not anything new and I'm positive it won't be the last.

I for one side with Georgia, but look into it's history and you'll see that this is not new. For some time now Russia has been the neighborhood big dog bully (even before the USSR days) and Gerogia has been the little dog that barks and snips a lot at the big dog until it gets a bite from the big dog.

The interesting part will now be to see what will our new 'Global Community' do now? Are they going to get a major economic and/or military overhaul out of this? After all most of Georgia's equipment was old Soviet junk and way obsolete. How else best to test NATO's capabilities against Russia by training and equiping them? After all is calm will we "station" NATO troops in Georgia for Cold War II?

I seriously don't think Georgia went after Ossetia convinced that they were going to get away with it. Maybe they were hoping to but I think they sparked it on purpose and the timing was crucial, specifically to do it before November when we choose the Q-tip or the Microphone. I believe Russia and Georgia were justified in doing what they did. But this truly showed the world Russia's true, and old, colors. Or at least it sure is being portrayed as such. It's going to take more than just a mere 18 years of becoming more capitalistic in order to change what has been forged for many decades and beyond. The Russians were surely at the ready with thousands of troops and armored vehicle right at the border to react as quickly as they did.

It may have been a huge and costly gamble for Georgia but it may pay off big in the end.

Phalanx:
Recheck your sources and verify. Georgia is over 80% Orthodox Christians and 10% muslim with the remainder being Jewish, Protestant, Catholic and what nots.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Let me see:

Kossovo wants to split from Pro-Russian Serbia and the US says ok.

Pro Russian Ossetia wants to split from pro western Georgia and the US says no.

Hmmm, typical double standards from the US. But it doesn't really work when the US is deep in two wars, Arghanistan and Iraq, and Ossetia is on the Russian border.

Geogia wants a conflict so it can get US aid to protect it from Russia and to boost it's economy. The US is already overstretched, though god knows how...maybe it's those seven guys in the rear for every one at the front.

Russia doesn't need US business, it can do nicely with central Eurpoe, and Asia.

Putin takes advantage.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mickey, i guess i should have checked here in this country.
My source was Radio Moscow , ::) I Googled some sites but they were ran by Russians ,i didn't know that until i looked into who the Web Masters were.
They did not lie ,They just failed to say the Muslim populations they were talking about we in 3 small regions.
Sorry ,do you think ole Boris is up to his old tricks again ????

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
This has nothing to do with Religion. It's all about the Russian Federation being pressed by the European expansion. Georgia has already started replacing their military equipment with western products. Their standard rifle is being swapped to the M4 for example.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
This may be valid but what does Russia have to do with Georgias offensive into Ossetia?

What does Russia want with Ossetia? As far as I know there is nothing there other than some mountains and some sheep. It's located smack in the middle of Georgia.

So, my question: Why is it okay for Russia to take over Ossetia (metaphorically speaking they air dropped Russian passports over the entire region, then started paying out social security and other benefits, they bought the country) but it is not okay for Georgia to do the same?

Who know's what Russia's motives are, and I am not even sure if that matters. At the end of the day Russia is the big dog in that region and Georgia should have know better than to poke the dog with the stick just because they are playing cozy with the USA.

Russia had 10k troops acorss the border in a day and could have taken the whole country. A neighbor with that capacity needs to be handed gently, regardless of who is right or wrong.

Personally I dont think we should be getting involved directly. The UN should be dealing with this. The Russians have their own type of unwritten Monroe Doctrine and we'd be idiots to test their willingness to back it up just so we can get a couple of banks and Mcdonalds in Tblisi.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I thoughn Georgia was 90% Southern Baptists???? Must be the taxi drivers in Atlanta?????

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Y'all make some good points. The one that is missing is that several of the former Russian republics have either joined NATO or have applied for membership. And we're pressing to to install anti-ICBM missiles in Europe. We tell the Russians it's to contain Iran, but the Russians are starting to feel like they are surrounded by enemies.

tk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts