XCR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,839 Posts
The press is very one sided, they are making the Russians the big bad guys here. I know there must be years of stuff that lead up to this.
Well lets be honest, Georgia led an offensive into Ossetia, and the Russian reaction wasnt exactly a shocker.

· Registered
2,839 Posts
Well lets be honest, Georgia led an offensive into Ossetia, and the Russian reaction wasnt exactly a shocker.
This may be valid but what does Russia have to do with Georgias offensive into Ossetia?

What does Russia want with Ossetia? As far as I know there is nothing there other than some mountains and some sheep. It's located smack in the middle of Georgia.

So, my question: Why is it okay for Russia to take over Ossetia (metaphorically speaking they air dropped Russian passports over the entire region, then started paying out social security and other benefits, they bought the country) but it is not okay for Georgia to do the same?

Who know's what Russia's motives are, and I am not even sure if that matters. At the end of the day Russia is the big dog in that region and Georgia should have know better than to poke the dog with the stick just because they are playing cozy with the USA.

Russia had 10k troops acorss the border in a day and could have taken the whole country. A neighbor with that capacity needs to be handed gently, regardless of who is right or wrong.

Personally I dont think we should be getting involved directly. The UN should be dealing with this. The Russians have their own type of unwritten Monroe Doctrine and we'd be idiots to test their willingness to back it up just so we can get a couple of banks and Mcdonalds in Tblisi.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.