XCR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes folks, I will be going over to the 'dark side'.

I've heard enough of the us v. them debate, and after shooting my friends 556 about 5 times (the only times that it has been shot) I honestly can't find a downside to it other than I had wished it was more of a 550/551. The big motivator is how much I'll be buying it for and I can't pass that up. It's low enough that even when I get a UBR it will still cost less than most of the cheapest 556's out there and the Sampson front sight comes with it. The rear ARMS was mine anyways. Doesn't really have too many rounds through it, most of it was my ammo since he didn't have a lot of money to buy ammo, barely for the rifle. I've practically co-owned the thing come to think about it. My rear sight, mostly my ammo, and mags. Unfortunately my pal is moving to CA and he needs the money. I told him ge should sell it for more to someone else but he insisted and he put the price saying that he knew I'd take care of it well. Kinda feel bad for him b/c the cunt of an ex-wife decided to remarry some idiot in the AF after only a month and moved to Edwards AFB taking the kids.

Back to the 556. Well I'm getting it and now and adding it to my collection. I've heard 'some' of the herd and others bash on the 556. I was no exception but I always held my reservations about it saying 'until I got to shoot one'. Then i did. I've always like the AK reliability. I've only handles an SG550 and they do look great. But as operation goes I thought the 556 shot smooth, its accurate, and reliable. What I didn't like was no sights, M4 stock, HG, and it was over priced for what it offered. Since then alot has come out and with more to follow. Anyways I still ned to go clear accross the state to pick it up so it won' be until Friday when I get it.

Anyone knows who sells UBR stocks at a good price?

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I don't have a problem with the SIG 556. I think it's a fine rifle. I'd own one, if I were any richer. You don't walk into an ice cream store to buy vanilla. You walk in there to try all kinds of flavors. At least, I do. :) And while some days strawberry does the trick, other days all you want is carmel cashew or moose tracks. Ya know? >:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give ya 50 bucks for it >:D
lol. Not getting it that cheaply.

On another note I've given my best friend a Century L1A1 that actually wasn't all that bad, as far as century is concerned. And i've given my BIL a WASR 10 decked out w/a genuine romy wood of a parts kit.

What I wouold say regarding those that say get the real SG550, I'd love to but at those prices I'd rather go for a class 3 MP5 or M16. Shit a transferable FNC runs around $7K.

The 556 is as close as we are goint to get to a SG55x series w/o breaking the bank.

I'll fess up. I'm getting it for $850 plus he's buying me lunch at Chili's when I get over to Sierra Vista.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As I've stated numerous times, I wouldn't have a problem ADDING a 556 to my collection. HOWEVER, I would NEVER replace my XCR with it, or any other gun that I own (including my lowly, plane jane AR's). I like them, just many more guns that I would rather have.

But for $850, who the hell wouldn't take it?????

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll give ya 50 bucks for it >:D
lol. Not getting it that cheaply.

On another note I've given my best friend a Century L1A1 that actually wasn't all that bad, as far as century is concerned. And i've given my BIL a WASR 10 decked out w/a genuine romy wood of a parts kit.

What I wouold say regarding those that say get the real SG550, I'd love to but at those prices I'd rather go for a class 3 MP5 or M16. Shit a transferable FNC runs around K.

The 556 is as close as we are goint to get to a SG55x series w/o breaking the bank.

I'll fess up. I'm getting it for 0 plus he's buying me lunch at Chili's when I get over to Sierra Vista.
At that price, you would be crazy NOT to get it! No such thing as the dark side with me, I say shoot and own what you like, its your cash. :) I was torn between getting a 556 and an XCR, and decided on the XCR (liked the features better, plus I can get extra parts for it easily), but IMO, you arent really losing with either one. You definitely arent losing owning BOTH! :)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
$850 is about what its worth, so go for it. I would pass if it had the horrid two tone look and grip witout the "gapper"

Add a Samson STAR 556 rail for a monolithic top rail, Samson front sight, and decent stock and you'll have a prett good carbine. I was shooting a friends 556 a couple of weeks back and I was knocking down gongs at 100 yards pretty easy with a TA31

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've got some experience with the 556. It's a nice little shooter, but I'm shallow and think it should have the regular Sig stock. I just can't figure out why every rifle/carbine/shotgun in the world must have an AR stock on it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The stock was my problem also , the rifle is fine and could have been so much more.
But that fore arm is just to weird , even the guys who have one and love it say that.
The first thing they do if they have the bucks is put a Mag Pul stock on them ,and that helps a lot .
But someone will come out with a stock kit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't have a problem with the SIG 556. I think it's a fine rifle. I'd own one, if I were any richer. You don't walk into an ice cream store to buy vanilla. You walk in there to try all kinds of flavors. At least, I do. :) And while some days strawberry does the trick, other days all you want is carmel cashew or moose tracks. Ya know? >:D
Carmel Cashew Nut, mmm.
Got one on the way myself. Gonna pick it up Monday. Its a new production black sidefolder. Came in under the cost of my XCR but not by much, $1324($1299+25 s/h). Good deal you got indeed. I just did not see prices on them going the direction I wanted so I jumped in. I've thought of using it as a donor for a 551/552 clone build but its $2,500 minimum for a 551/552 lower kit. About 5 g's total for the completed project. Thats a whole lot of cabbage for a dollar menunaire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts