XCR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to hunker down in Houston with the generator and batteries. I am sure we will lose power on Friday so I will see everyone when we the lights come back on. The wife and kids just came home with a load of Pop-tarts so I guess our preparations are complete :)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Hope it all works out for you. Pop back on when you can.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, I'm doing the same up in Willis, Tx. Got the supplies and everything, just waiting for it to get here. I live about 30 feet higher than Lake Conroe shoreline, so I shouldn't have any water problems, I hope.

At least I am further inland than Mr. Chem, so I shouldn't be getting as much wind as he does.

I will keep checking the weather and this forum among other things until the lights go out.

Keep all of us here in this part of Texas in your hearts and prayers.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ditto for me on the loads, plus we had drivers delivering dry and bagged ice to facilities and shelters. Wal-Mart drivers are the best! Through all three of the storms that have hit the Gulf this year and even going back to Katrina, those guys don't believe in ContraFlo. Traffic flows away form the impact area, those guys tighten their grips a little and head straight into it with relief loads of water, batteries etc.,. In the hours following Katrina, I was talking to one of our drivers loaded with water as he as running through an obstacle course of sparking powerlines. I kept telling him to turn back, he insisted that he could keep going. It was almost surreal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm at my wife's work - Lone Star College-Montgomery. She is a part-time police officer for that campus and is working the 11pm to 7am shift. So I came with her so I could use the computer and have some lights and a shower at the gym.

We lost power at home after my post on Sept. 12. Still no power and there is very little water pressure at home, but the water is good. Glad that I stocked up on food, water and ice that am. I lost a few shingles and had the southwest corner of my roof peeled back about a foot, but no water inside house. Got it temporarily fixed and will have it repaired better later. All in all, I came out OK, no trees through the house like some neighbors. We had some very high winds coming off of Lake Conroe. For our area, the back side of the storm was the worst. No one in my neighborhood had much damage from the NE side of the storm, but after the eye passed over our neighborhood, the SW winds did the damage.

Our area got a POD Monday and I have been getting ice, water and MRE's for some of my neighbors that do not have the fuel to go there [about 6 miles from the house]. They give approximately 40 pounds of ice, 1 case of water and 1 case of MRE's to each family. Most of the people that I go for just want ice. I should be able to go 5-7 more days without having to get any supplies for myself, after that I will have to go to the POD or to Krogers, if Krogers gets some more supplies in.

I live about four miles west from IH-45 and the relief trucks [ice, water and food] continue arriving in convoys along with other workers to fix the utilities and removing downed trees. Most of the workers and supplies are continuing down IH-45 to Houston and Galveston. Galveston is about 100 miles down IH-45 from where I live. From Galveston to the Louisiana border, it is a mess, whole communities are gone.

In our area, our biggest problem is power. We have been told that our power plant [three miles away] has major problems. We may have power tomorrow or in two weeks or ????????? !

I hope Mr. Chem is doing OK, I have not seen any posts from him.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing OK, I hope you get power soon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Back at the wife's work, again.

Got back home from her work on the 16th at around 0800 and found that we still had no power and now no water. It looks like the subdivision has finally drained our two large storage tanks of water. No power, so the wells are not pumping water into the tanks.

It took me about an hour in line to get gas so she could go to work. At around 1600, miracle of miracles, the power came one and stayed on, so that was about 4 1/2 days without power, but alas, still no water. It will take a while to pump and process enough water for everyone in the subdivision and get the water flowing again. One problem still though, the internet is still down and they do not know how long it will be before it is up again. But all in all, I'm sure glad the power is back.

When the power came on a house down the block caught on fire. FD got there pretty quick and got it out with the water they had on the pumper, very lucky people.

Not much other news.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
awxcr, IS THE CELL PHONE SYSTEM MESSED UP? HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET AHOLD OF MY SON. HE WAS IN SPRING WHEN THE STORM HIT. LAST TIME I TALKED TO HIM WAS LAST FRIDAY.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My SPRINT cell phone only worked occasionally from my location in Willis, TX. It finally begin to work with all 5 bars yesterday in the AM. I'm in the Woodlands area on 242 and I am getting excellent reception here.

It will probably depend on carrier and his location.

If you want, send me his number and I will try and contact him after 0800.

Also, if you want me too, I can try and go to his address in the AM.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
awxcr. THANKS, HE MOVED TO PEARLAND ABOUT A MONTH AGO. TOLD ME LAST FRIDAY THAT HE WAS GOING TO SPRING TO STAY WITH A FREIND. THATS ALL I KNOW. HE IS ON AT&T CELL SERVICE, ALL I GET IS RINGING. I'M OFF THE NEXT 4 DAYS BUT HAVE KNOW IDEA WHERE TO LOOK FOR HIM.

·
Registered
144 Posts
OK, PM me his cell phone number and I can try also. Sometimes you may not be able to get through due to the circuits being busy, but I may be able to get through.

If you get any other info, PM me or send me an email address. Check your PM on this site and I'll give you my cell and email.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts