XCR Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Don't take your eye out, you might need it! JK, man I hope that eye heals up soon and well. We'll keep praying for you at our dinner table!
Much appreciated. :)

So....we got to our shooting spot at 6am....people were already there! It was already hot AF.....and we were doing some experimenting with my buddy's VEPR 12 and the AK I gave him and my 2 VZs.....that went relatively well, but ate up a lot of time, so by the time we got to pistol.....we were already thinking of heading out.

I put 5 more 15 round mags through the P10C, 7 19 round mags through the wife's G19, and 3 17 rounders through the PPQ. I didn't shoot paper (should have, but too lazy to set it up)....mostly steel (dueling tree and mini-man torso target).

I don't know any way around it....I just shoot Glock waaaaay better than anything else; in spite of buying every new "gee-whiz" striker fired handgun out there trying to find something "better". Granted, the wife's 19 is pretty modded, but for me it's almost an extension of my body....just freakin' works. Hits come pretty effortlessly and I had to really concentrate to hit the 4ish inch plates on the dueling tree with the P10C by contrast. IMO, the PPQ actually is more accurate than the P10C....but again, it's not an apples to apples comparison since my PPQ has the very good Apex trigger compared to the factory P10C trigger. Nothing wrong with the P10C trigger either....it's got a lot more take up than (like 2X as much) the Glock or the PPQ....so I have a feeling I'm pushing the gun in anticipation of recoil that I don't have time for with the PPQ and G19. Reset on the P10C is very good though.

I dunno....just love my Glocks. I can rattle off rounds out of the G19 like it is full auto....it literally sounds like a G18 at times. SOOOO much fun.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yeah that sucks! Do you have a prognosis on the eye?
Dr. said to wait 8 more weeks and see how it's doing. There's a chance the eye will reform the shape of the lens to what it was before, restoring my normal vision.....but if not, I'll be very near sighted in that eye (which will SUCK for shooting).

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Go LASIK, then the laser will reshape it for you.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Docs like their money. Malpractice suits are bad for money. That's why most are very conservative. Probably wants to give the eye enough time to do its thing before considering other options.
That's my guess....

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Wait until you are as healed as you'll be and then go see a LASIK surgeon. Don't go to the cheap assholes who still use scalpels. The scalpel leaves too much scar tissue, go laser all he way. They can reproduce the lens. If you're between 40 & 50, you may need to wait until you're 50 as between those ages is when the lens distorts naturally and vision become long sighted, I.e. You may need reading glasses. Alternatively you can have a crystal lens insert instead.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Let the eye completely heal. LASIK is great, use the computer reading on the eye for prescription. It's a little more, but you don't have to rely on the optometrist getting it perfect or completely wrong.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
First week in October should be when the Stryk B shows up in the US......probably will see it 2-3 weeks later at my FFL.

Stoked!!! :)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
First week in October should be when the Stryk B shows up in the US......probably will see it 2-3 weeks later at my FFL.

Stoked!!! :)
Prediction: you'll still like your massaged Glocks better. Since your hands seem to have permanently formed to the shape of a Glock, I don't think you'll find anything better.

Unrelated, and I failed to mention before, back in late spring I got to shoot my G21SF for the first time. I was shocked. It was the softest 45 I've ever shot and owned (several 1911s of various makes and a M&P). Sold and sold.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Prediction: you'll still like your massaged Glocks better. Since your hands seem to have permanently formed to the shape of a Glock, I don't think you'll find anything better.

Unrelated, and I failed to mention before, back in late spring I got to shoot my G21SF for the first time. I was shocked. It was the softest 45 I've ever shot and owned (several 1911s of various makes and a M&P). Sold and sold.
I'm guessing you'll be right. I'll actually be VERY surprised if it is even a close comparison, but I'm still excited none the less.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Sean,
For bone stock pistols. What do you like the best so far? Glock, Walther, CZ or Beretta? Striker fired polymer.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Sean,
For bone stock pistols. What do you like the best so far? Glock, Walther, CZ or Beretta? Striker fired polymer.
Depends on what I'm looking for out of the pistol.

Easiest to conceal? G19...it's smallest.

Best accuracy? For me, it's probably still the Glock, but the Walther is right up there.

Best trigger: Walther.

Most ergonomic: tough call...the CZ is the most comfortable, but the APX would have won out had it not been for super sharp lever on the side.

Fastest follow-ups....G19C (now that the Gen 4 Compensated model is out).

Most reliable: pretty equal as long as things don't get really dusty/muddy...then I'd *expect* the C model and APX to fail first due to the huge gaps in the slide.

Easiest to work on: Hands down; Glock.

Most aftermarket: Glock (duh)

It's not really a fair question b/c I don't leave anything stock. If I was going to do that......I'd personally still buy the Glock. But objectively, if I didn't have the experience I do with Glock but still owned the other 3....and I wasn't going to mod it at all.....I'd go PPQ. If I hadn't shot the remaining 3 and was looking based on feel, trigger reset, low bore axis and price....I'd get the CZ.

Reactions: Merlin

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
FWIW, of all the pistols MAC torture tested, Glock and P320 were the two that didn't choke. Stock trigger is really not bad. I think people who complain about them are just really picky about triggers. Also, people tend to make judgements based on what they are used to. Rather than allowing themselves to get adapt to the "new" gun first and "dance" with it as it was meant to. And then there are guns that just naturally fit you.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
FWIW, of all the pistols MAC torture tested, Glock and P320 were the two that didn't choke. Stock trigger is really not bad. I think people who complain about them are just really picky about triggers. Also, people tend to make judgements based on what they are used to. Rather than allowing themselves to get adapt to the "new" gun first and "dance" with it as it was meant to. And then there are guns that just naturally fit you.
The Rex Zero also passed. Frankly, with a sample size of one (or in rare cases, 2), MAC's tests are completely anecdotal in any form of conclusion one could likely make. I've watched several in a row and at times, some pistols just simply get a larger dose of mud on them (and they consequently jam up) than do others. I'm not at all convinced it proves much....though it is entertaining and it does illustrate that having gaping holes in your frame/slide is a recipe for a stoppage in really harsh, adverse conditions.

I don't think Glock's factory trigger is that bad.....but it can be SOOOO much better with minimal money and better still with a fair amount of cash thrown at them (though you could arguably do similar for next to nothing if you're willing to redrill the existing trigger shoe and possibly reshape the tail on the trigger bar).

I definitely have made judgements based on what I'm used to....but I feel like after putting several hundred rounds through these various pistols, I know what does and doesn't work about them for me specifically....that doesn't mean they won't work for someone else or that other people won't have different preferences.

In truth, I bought all of these first for myself....to see if I could find something better than the Glocks and secondly, so I could actually speak from a position of ownership of the major brands out there and let other people borrow the guns and make their own decisions about what would be best to purchase (since I have several friends new to shooting/guns that have a lot of questions). With these newer shooters, I try and resist the urge to just tell them that my particular brand of kool-aide is best and they should just "buy a Glock". Instead....I've been taking 'em out....letting them shoot all the ones they are interested in, and then let them make the call....after obviously letting them know that these are modified (though some are stock) and letting them know what that kind of modification would cost all in if they decide to go a particular route. It's kinda like the advice we always give here....go to a range and rent everything you're interested in....except I'm the free range and I take 'em out to the desert where they can actually run the gun like they might have to in a more realistic self defense situation.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So another update....ran 5 mags of 15 each through the P10C. Every so often I have a range day where everything just syncs....I'm just able to get great hits with a good amount of speed. Today was one of those. Today, the P10C ran really close to my Glock. Now I was only shooting steel torsos (no paper) and I don't think my grouping was as good with the CZ nor was it quite as fast, but for the first time I thought this thing is at least close. Like I said, not sure if I was just having one of those good days or if the gun is breaking in more along with the trigger....but it performed pretty well. As usual, completely reliable.

Learned how to bump fire one of my AKs from the shoulder.....so I tried it on the VZ. No luck though....trigger is just too long in terms of travel and reset. Surprised how level one can keep an AK when firing almost full auto (with a brake). Transferred my new found "skill" over to my XCRs (brought the pistol and SBR).....and found it was pretty close to as fast as the AK, minus the slightly higher muzzle flip. Probably more "usable" out of the XCR since the thing just stays flat. Crazy fun....stupid expensive. :)

VZ runs 100% on Wolf (provided it's "mil-spec" and made by Barnaul). Will likely leave it alone for now.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Sean,
Any word on your Stryk B? How are your eyes coming along?
Eye is still not improving.....see the Dr. again early January.

Stryk B had some sort of legal trouble....official announcement Monday (tomorrow)....guessing it's that there's already an "Arsenal" firearms doing AKs, but I don't know yet.

Got my Gen 5 G19 this last week....was supposed to go shoot it today, but it's raining. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked up a p10c a few months ago. Since installed the HBI Theta flat trigger, spring kit, polished while trigger assembly was out and added a Viridian X5L and a +4 mag extension. I hate to say it, but I shoot it better than my cajunized single action conversion w/flat trigger (2.5lb on 3mm reset and) w/accurized threaded barrel.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Eye is still not improving.....see the Dr. again early January.

Stryk B had some sort of legal trouble....official announcement Monday (tomorrow)....guessing it's that there's already an "Arsenal" firearms doing AKs, but I don't know yet.

Got my Gen 5 G19 this last week....was supposed to go shoot it today, but it's raining. :(

Did a little research....my CZ P10C has to go back for warranty...

It's no Glock. :(

Cancelled my order for the Stryk B too. Company's owner didn't keep his word (recurring theme on timelines) very publicly and for me, it was the last straw. Delay is 3-4 more months at best.....so April at the earliest.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts