XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't really plan on it, but....
My wife talked me into going to the big Orlando Gun Show (You see, it's not far from IKEA and she wants to remodel the kitchen). So she invited a girlfriend and off we went. There were a lot of FALs, and they were all overpriced. But there was one in particular; had the para stock, a fluted barrel, the A2 Hampton lower, a special trigger... I talked him down a few hundred and left with the gun, some German NATO ammo, and a nice case for it.

I had planned on a version with a longer barrel, but, DAMN , this one handles nicely. It's the second time I've handled one of the short-barreled models and they handle superbly (at least to me). Because of the location of the pistol grip, the LOP is a effectively a couple of inches longer than on my XCR, and it fits me better (need to find an extended butt for my xcr). And when all is said and done, I guess I'm willing to pay a bit more for not having to wait the 16 weeks DSA quoted me.

Now all I need is a rail for the scope, and maybe the railed front end. And a scope....

Interestingly, when I was talking to one of the dealers (who had literally dozens of EBRs) about the FALs, I noticed that he had an XCR for sale ($1695 stock). So after discussing the finer points of the .308 in AR vs. FAL, I asked him what he thought of the XCR. He pointed at it and said with absolute seriousness, "THAT is the SHIT." I chucked, and said, "yeah, I've got one in 5.56." He said, "Yeah, me too." So I added, and I've got a 6.5 kit on order." And he said, "Yeah me too." And I said, "What I REALLY want is one in .308." And he said, well, you get the idea.

So maybe I'll end up with three EBRs in the safe.

tk

Attachments

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Congrads.... looks good. Now all you need to do is get the extended safety. :2cents: Mine loves the 165 - 168 grain bullets. ;D

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Looks like a nice find, especially if the price was right.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Wow, thats a nice one. I suggest a Tapco SAW pistol grip. It make quite a difference in how the rifle feels in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a nice find, especially if the price was right.
The website has it at 1910 and I got it for 1800. Could have done better ordering it, but this way, no wait. I need to get the scope mount, though.

tk

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suggest a Tapco SAW pistol grip. It make quite a difference in how the rifle feels in my opinion.
Thanks. Is the Tapco SAW the same as the SAW on the DSA site?

tk

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I too vote + for the TAPCO grip. I have it on several rifles I own. :2cents:

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took it out to the range over the weekend. Didn't get a lot of time because it's been raining constantly here.

I can't shoot it as well as my xcr at 100 yards, but then, I've got an eotech and a bipod on my xcr, and it's iron sights and a sling on my FAL. I'll get better with practice.

It kicks a little more than I'm used to, also. I want to lay my cheek along the para stock for the right sight picture, and it jumps a bit because it's so light. Hope to try it out at longer distances this weekend.

I figure I'll add the tapco grip, extended safety, scope mount and maybe the railed handguard. Oh yeah, and a railrest.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Not a bad group tk. Once you get used to it you should get better. Eventually you will find the ammo your rifle likes best too. :2cents:

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks,

Not the sort of ragged, one-hole groups I like <g>, but OK, I guess, for a new rifle in a new caliber. Frankly, I'm starting to suffer from AES: aging eyes syndrome (A doctor once told me with a real serious look on his face that I was suffering from AJS: Aging Jock Syndrome. Everything hurts, nothing works the way it used to, and it's only gonna get worst) <g>. My Distance vision is still excellent, but near vision is going down.

But like you say, practice will make it better. All of my shooting was with NAT0-spec 7.62 surplus (had German markings). I'll try some commercial rounds through it when I get a little better.

BTW: Does the DSA brass catcher improve the quality of the brass you recover? Mine seems a little hard on it -- the dented necks are easy, but a lot also seems to take some body shots.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Those groups look pretty good for surplus to me....

And what kind of rifle is it, exactly? Looks like an SA58 para with the short gas system? Nice gun. :)

My shorty FAL is a DSA STG58C (Austrian/Belgian surplus kit with barrel chopped to 16"; standard gas system, SA58 receiver):

I bought it a while back but have barely shot it. One of these days I will spend some quality time with it. Might add a folding stock too, and definitely want to try a SAW grip.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, it's a DSA SA58, para tactical. It's got the short gas system, fluted barrel, and the hampton lower with the windage-adjustable rear sight. In fact, the sights are about as good as the BUIS on my XCR.

I really like it, but haven't had much chance to shoot it yet.

They show it on their site like this:

http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL-PARATactical-Carbine-308-Cal/productinfo/SA58TACP/

but none of those goodies come with the base-price rifle.

Still gotta gets dies for reloading.

Does anyone have experience with the brass catcher? Does it help the brass from getting so banged up?

tk

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have all the stuff for loading .308; just haven't spent much time doing it yet. I will probably shoot my first .308 handloads in a bolt gun.

I have the brass catcher which hooks into the railed top cover. I have barely used it, but will probably give it another try someday. I wouldn't think it would prevent a lot of brass damage. The FAL isn't exactly easy on the brass; especially the case mouths.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So for all the other FALophiles out there, how many of you have problems with the brass kissing the receiver behind the ejection port?

I gather this is at least a somewhat common problem, based on what I've read over at the FAL files, but they get a little crazy over there. One fellow says the proper way to fix the problem is to file an angle onto the ejector; another says to change the gas setting to lessen the impact, the first says not to mess with the gas settings, a third enlargened his ejection port, and another guy says if God didn't want the brass to hit the ejector, then FN would have done some something about it in the first place. <g>

But not am I getting brass plating on my receiver, my brass is getting beaten, and I want to reload.

tk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey TK

Brass kisses are normal and you can do Gilliee modification to lessen the distance the FAL will throw your brass. I have a hard time with his writing style so I have not tried to modify my rifle as of yet.

As for setting you gas setting do it according to the manual, hand feed one round at a time and start out on the lowest setting and add more gas till the Bolt Hold open works then give it two more clicks this will give you the lowest gas setting with out beating up the rifle.

The sheet metal cover being the least expensive part would be my recommendation if I were going to modify anything. Some people have put tape on there receiver to prevent the brass kisses on the receiver.

I do not know of any remedy to prevent the brass from being beaten up. I am shooting up my stock of surplus, which is Bredan primed and saving my Boxer primed ammo until I use up the surplus first.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I doubt you will be able to do anything that will completely keep the brass from dinging the side of the receiver; that is just how the design works. Personally I wouldn't start filing my ejector or ejection port, but that is just me.

Just make sure your gas is set at the lowest possible reliable setting, and that will ensure the brass is dinged the least. Or, if you are shooting off a bench you could just turn the gas off completely.

As mentioned the FAL is not notoriously easy on the brass and never will be. It is still better than an HK91 type rifle in that regard though.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, so I started playign with the gas settings last weekend and the results were MUCH better than I expected. I used the procedure in the manual: My gas block came set on #1, and the brass was getting seriously banged up, and so was the top cover. I moved it to position #7 and fired it one round at a time: It cycled perfectly, and locked open after each round. Best part is that the brass isn't being dented at all. If I'm not short-stroking, is there any down side to running on setting #7? I suppose with lower-powered loads I might have some trouble.

What do you other FAL owners run yours on?

I had read about Gilliee's modification over on FAL files, and it seemed reasonable to me, but there's so much noise on that forum that it's sometimes hard to sort out. If I can run on the low gas setting and avoid mangled brass WITHOUT having to file the ejector, then I'd prefer to go that road.

I'm more concerned about the condition of the brass than the cosmetics of the rifle, although I suppose I could use a small piece of adhesive-backed stair tread in that one small spot.

tk

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
My personal opinion is that you should *not* listen to any advice given by "gilliee" (or however its spelled) on FAL files... I've seen him make some statements about things to do to a rifle that will make your jaw drop. I don't remember the specifics now; I just have that rule in my head from a while back.

My rifles will run on #7 when clean, and with only a few rounds in the mag; if using a full mag it will start to short stroke though (more resistance present to the carrier's movement with a full mag... I do my "reliability" testing by seeing if it will fire and then load from a full mag. If it will do that, it will definitely lock open as well). I run my rifles on #5 normally, and that is probably a little overkill with the 21" barrel. Lighter loads will definitely affect this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts