XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new XCR-L 5.56. I love it. It has the new style lower:

I'm wondering if all the current rifles have the same issue I'm seeing with the markings on the gas valve. They certainly aren't painted white like the pictures in the operator's manual:

As you can see, they are VERY difficult to read, even at this magnification. When I first started handling the rifle I thought there were no markings at all. In fact, I couldn't see them until I took this picture and zoomed in on the computer screen.

What up wit dat?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
0000031790 said:
Ya mine is the same I have the new lower, as well and the markings are hard to see on the valve but it is no big deal. The valve turns just fine and works great on mine. ;D
Oh, I have absolutely no quarrel with that - other than the valve markings this gun is top notch. I have found none of the other small issues that some people have reported on this site. I can't wait to take her to the range!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I don't even use the numbers.. I have the positions of the notches memorized. :eek:

But no, we don't put paint in the numbers. We just have them engraved.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't even use the numbers.. I have the positions of the notches memorized. :eek:
So we ahve to paint them ourselves???? Argh!!!! >:D Just kidding..... Besides if you painted the numbers, you would use pink wouldn't you????? You can admit it.....

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

And that's fine, but the engraving isn't nearly strong enough. The tooling on those numbers needs to be set for a deeper cut. A few hundredths of an inch would be enough.

It's easy enough to memorize the positions after you know where they are, but finding them in the first place is nearly impossible.

Other than that, great gun!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I did mine with a paint marker from WalMart.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts

And that's fine, but the engraving isn't nearly strong enough. The tooling on those numbers needs to be set for a deeper cut. A few hundredths of an inch would be enough.

It's easy enough to memorize the positions after you know where they are, but finding them in the first place is nearly impossible.

Other than that, great gun!
They used to be deeper. We changed who we did engraving through, and either the drawings changed too or someone over there is a little on the dumb side.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just tried the crayon trick and - when that didn't work - a paint pen. Both of them rubbed right off leaving nothing in the engraved numbers on the valve. The engraving is shallower than paint molecules.

I know this sounds like nitpicking, but in normal light that valve looks like it has no marking on it at all. If you've got the positions memorized, great, but for a new user it would be nice to be able to see the markings at the range without resorting to a magnifying glass.

Terra, maybe someone who sells these contracts needs to know that the work isn't being done up to standards.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I know that mine are deeper than those. Maybe you could take a small engraver to it and deepen it. I am sure Terra will take care of you if it just isn't working out for you.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
The new lower looks nice. It reduces parts as well which is always a good thing.

My gas valve notches are about the same. They are on the light side.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
0000031910 said:
I am very picky and could care less about the markings I have them memorized and got my rifles jan 6/09
But to each his own. :-\
Wow, thanks! Your apathy really helps me out!

</sarcasm>

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
I know that mine are deeper than those. Maybe you could take a small engraver to it and deepen it. I am sure Terra will take care of you if it just isn't working out for you.
Thought about using that little vibrating engraver myself, but since I am no pro with it and that thing vibrates like the dickens I think I would scratch more than engrave. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am not trying to be a dick, but how often are you going to be moving the valve once it is set? That is why most service rifles are not gas adjustable. The snuffies start diddling with stuff that moves when they get bored, and screw things up. Perhaps a simple arrow in the "more" gas direction drawn with an engraver. That way, once your gas is set, IF you need to increase for a dirty weapon, etc., just turn one click "up". If you think the rifle is broken in enough, then turn it in the opposite direction, "down".
Or just carefully trace over the existing numbers with the engraver. It can't be that difficult. If you are worried about the engraver slipping, just push down in a series of dots on the the numbers.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Testors model paint comes in little pens that you can go over the number with. If you want to do it that way, all you need to do is paint over the number so the paint soaks in and then go over it lightly with a paper towel to wipe off the excess above the number. The paint is pretty durable and comes in a lot of different colors. My only disclaimer is I haven't done this on an XCR gas valve as I'm still waiting for my rifle to arrive-but I've done it on other weapons for selector switches, etc and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I adjust my gas based on the individual load (don't want to be launching my brass across the range if I don't have to).

Those marks do appear to be a little on the light side; iirc mine are a little deeper, but really, that is not something I would worry about.

As mentioned above, some model paint should fix it right up if you are really so inclined.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just reposted the picture of the gas valve. The photo I had posted originally was massaged to show the markings more clearly, but I realized that was counter-intuitive. Now you can see exactly how poor the engraving is and how difficult it is to read the markings.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one with the issue.
I'd be interested in an upgrade if Robarm is planning one . . .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts