XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XCR 5.56, was delivered to my dealer within the time frame as promised. Thanks RA. Oh, and Terra, what happened to the pink you promised me?? ;)

With great anticipation I finally got to the range today, after having to postpone twice before. 4 different brands of ammo. Fed lake city xm193 55 gr ball. Fed. American Eagle 55gr fmj, silver bear 55 gr hp and wolf 55 gr hp. Started out great, sighted in quick, irons and eotech. Started thinking, wow, great rifle, maybe I can finally retire my M4. NOT!! After about 250 rds or so the rifle would cycle but the trigger would not reset. Pulling the trigger did nothing and I would have to manually cycle the bolt to fire a round and the same thing would happen again. I tried every brand of ammo. Magpul, usgi and orlite mags. Different gas settings. Let it cool down. Same thing. Primer hits looked like the ones on this site that are considered normal. Disappointed to say the least..... Unfortunately the range I was at was packed. (hunting season here) so opening up the rifle at the range to inspect was not possible.

Once home an inspection didn't show anything out of place. I was able to recreate the condition a few times manually, cocking the hammer with my hand. I guess the best way to try and explain what I mean is the hammer would get hung up somewhere between normally cocked, finger off trigger, and held by the disconnect, finger on trigger. Pulling the trigger would not release the hammer. I found nothing stuck in the trigger mechanism. Finally, the hammer just stopped getting hung up and everything seems to work fine now. (unfortunately couldn't fire the rifle to test it) Again nothing looked abnormal and no foreign material was in the mechanism. Has this happened to anyone else?? What is the fix? I really don't want a weapon I can't rely on. Certainly not one that cost as much as this one.

No, I am not giving up on RA and I don't think the XCR is a POS. I was impressed by this platform and still am. (very little impresses me in the firearms industry) There are a couple of things I would like to see improved, but, I will save that for another time. Hopefully there is a fix for this condition. I like the XCR system, but I need to hear a bang when I pull the trigger.

Thanks for your help.

Roy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds similar to what was happening to me after about 300rds. The Bolt was not completely locking up, so no hammer fall. My bolt and carrier are on Terra's desk right now, unless she took them home with her to maybe give them her personal touch? Anyway, I'm sure we'll both be up to speed soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just fixed this problem on my xcr. It started doing it after about 2k rounds.

Here's a thread with how to fix it:
http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,1213.0.html

I just took a file to the knob thingy (Yes, I know, I'm a technical wiz) on the hammer that the hooked thing rides on. It took very little to smooth out. I'm talking not even a full pass with the file. Fixed it and up to 3k rounds now on it and it hasn't happened again. I'll try to get a pic of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
All it needs is a little help wearing in. Touch it up with a file and it will be perfect. Normally any burrs work themselves out in the first 50 rounds, but sometimes a file is needed. We do try to touch the hammers up before they leave the shop, but sometimes some get missed.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
these 'trigger not working' stories make baby jesus cry :-[

I have a springfield trigger so this work was done on mine, but I had one fail to reset during my breakin that I resolved with tons of dry fireing... I'll still get the robarm match trigger when I get around to updating my xcr.

Anyway, please-although this is a relatively simple fix-don't take a file to your expensive gun's inner workings if you're not confident! I'm sure terra would let you send it in to them and they'd fix it or whatever... I hope the match trigger doesn't have any of these issues, and I'd hope they get resolved completely some day.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
This is really a simple fix.ShogunOfHarlem pretty much covered it.That "hooked thingy" is the disconnecter.I believe the tolerances Robinson uses in these trigger parts are a little tight and the hook on the disconnector is pretty sharp.So it has a tendency of not wanting to release that shelf on the hammer hammer.
Just touch the hook and the shelf just a little with a fine file or a stone and then if you want take a cloth polishing wheel on a Dremal tool with some metal polishing paste(Flitz,or other)and buff both surfaces just a little and they will glide off each other much more smoothly.Take your time and don't take a lot of material with the file/stone.It is best to remove the trigger parts from the receiver when you do this.
While your at it you can polish the trigger/sear surfaces a little and improve your trigger release too.I did a d.i.y trigger job on mine and it feels so much better.Here is a link to how I did it if your interested. http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,1320.0.html

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Drop of CLP, Dry fire, rinse and repeat...The trigger is gritty, so you need to get the friction down by shooting, and lubing, or you can file a bit here and there.

I had this problem with my 2nd XCR. Keep shooting is my best advice. Use the trigger finger to press the trigger forward and help it reset, or hand cycle the bolt. This happened for about 1 mag's worth of ammo. Four cases of ammo later, it never happened again.

And make sure you arent dry firing with the upper off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone...

Seems to have worked itself out. no filing necessary. I will hopefully get to the range Thursday for a real test. Except for this minor hiccup, the XCR is an outstanding rifle..

Roy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
... While your at it you can polish the trigger/sear surfaces a little and improve your trigger release too.I did a d.i.y trigger job on mine and it feels so much better.Here is a link to how I did it if your interested. http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,1320.0.html
It appears to me as if RA expects the break-in to deal with these fit-and-finish issues, but, apparently, that doesn't always get it done. This isn't intended to be flame (I have an XCR on the way and am reasonably committed to making it work), but it seems to me that they could avoid the rist of a negative initial impression if they introduced a step (or two) into their manufacturing process to take care of this. How about tumbling some of these parts, or maybe bead blasting or something? For a product for which reliability is a major differentiating quality, I should think that the bad impression that even a single failure to fire can create would be something to avoid if at all possible.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I have always wondered why Robarm doesn't finish the machining of the FCG parts. Most other manufacturers do.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I spent my $49 with Bills trigger work, and have NEVER looked back. If you can't do your own trigger job just send it to Bill. :duh:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I agree that Springfield's work is definitely worth the money anyway, but if all it would take to eliminate these failure-to-reset reports on the factory trigger is five minutes of smoothing on a couple surfaces, I fail to see why they wouldn't do this at the factory.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Second trip to range...This time an indoor range so I could only shoot hp ammo. Wolf 55gr hp and Silver bear 55 gr hp. Pmags & Orlite mags. Absolutely ZERO trigger problems!!! Unfortunately I went through 220 rds of ammo and about 18 were ftf. Stripped the round from the mag(s) but jammed before entering the chamber. Had to remove mag, cycle action, replace mag to shoot again. Sometimes only one round and sometimes multiple rds (repeat clearing everytime) before I was able to fire again. Gas setting on 3 and 4. Got worse as the rifle got hotter. . Went through 3-4 30 rd mags before the ftf's started.

Unable to shoot ball ammo at this range, so I don't know if that would have given me any trouble. I admit my M4orgery's do pretty much the same thing with this ammo, (never a problem w/ball) but out of 200 rds I will only get 7-8 ftf's.

I'd like to say it is just the ammo. Any input??

Thanks,

Roy

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
it's possibly the ammo... a bad chamber won't cycle diddly squat, no matter the conditions. Try something else - like Remington or PMC - and see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts