XCR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen several here that have gun cases with the foam cut out in the silhouete of the gun and even accessories and mags. They look very professional. How did you guys do that?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I would like to know this too cause I have 2 pelican cases and I want to cut the foam to fit my Tavor and XCR.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I trace the gun with a black marker then use razor blade to slowly cut the foam. If you have the "pick and pluck" foam that is perferated it is easier, just pull off the pieces you dont need.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I do it exactly like aziator, but I use a white grease pencil to outline what I want to cut.

Then I take one of those 'craft knives' - the ones where you click the blade out and snap off segment about 1/4" at a time - and extend it enough that I cut through the entire foam all at once. Like a jigsaw.

When done, I flip the foam over, so any white is on the underside.

Just go slow and make a lot of up and down motions (again, like a jig saw). The more up and down motion, the less it'll want to tear.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I trace with a black marker on the side of the foam that will not be visible (goes down into the case). This will be obvious to most but: make sure you figure out which way you want the rifle pointing inside the case, then when you are tracing the rifle on the foam flip it to the wrong direction and trace, when you are done tracing and cutting, put the foam into the case with the marked side down and your rifle should be pointing in the preferred direction.

Then I take my handy Cold Steel Recon 1 and it's like a hot knife through butter. Of course any large razor sharp knife will do the trick. Definitely the slow up and down motions when cutting being careful to stay true to the black line.

Make sure to cut on the inside of the black line, because you can always enlarge some parts but once you cut off too much there is no going back and it's expensive to have to order new foam.

Good luck. This does take some talent (like anything artsy-fartsy) but with practice you will attain the skill.

I know, we all did this in kindergarten but you tend to forget stuff after a few decades... and I went to kindergarten in the soviet union, we didn't have paper, much less foam, so I have an excuse. We did play with broken mercury thermometers, ah, those were the days. Mercury can be a lot of fun if you're only a toddler (or young at heart and like to see little blobs of silvery stuff disappear when you put your finger on it and reappear somewhere else...)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and like to see little blobs of silvery stuff disappear when you put your finger on it and reappear somewhere else...)
Oh Man..I hope your kidding.

GR8: That way does work. I remember doing it back in the 80's to a Baretta I had. NOTE: I guess I didn't dry it out enough and the gun rusted in the case in a few days. du'oh :duh:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
and like to see little blobs of silvery stuff disappear when you put your finger on it and reappear somewhere else...)
Oh Man..I hope your kidding.
Not kidding. Let me just say I've lived through some pretty interesting stuff in my life... on both continents.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
EASY FOAM CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS....

1. Go to Wal-Mart
2. Buy Black & Decker electric carving knife for $9.96 (yes, like for carving turkeys)
3. Go to school section and buy $1 box of white chalk
4. Go home, place gun(s) in locations desired, break chalk in half so you have a sharp edge to work with
5. Look straight down onto weapon and trace exactly the outline, but go with smaller trace rather than larger trace
6. Take carving knife and cut to the INSIDE of the chalk line, which gives it that nice "snug" fit
7. Wipe off chalk
8. Be envy of all the other operators!

See how easy that was!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts