XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I need to buy a gun safe and have a few questions for you experts.

First question:
Manual lock or electric?, or does it really not matter? I have a feeling manual locks are probably more reliable over time but most of the safes I see have electric locks. I do not see myself opening the safe every day and I obviously will not store my home defense weapon in it so is the lock type an issue?

Second question:
I may end up bolting the safe down in my insulated attached garage. With a dehumidifier in the safe, will moisture still be a concern with the safe in the garage?

Third question:
I am looking at the Bighorn 6039 EL at Costco for $999.99. This is about my price range and you can't beat their return policy. Searching the net, it has great reviews. It is not fancy and that is fine with me, but it looks like a good safe for the money. Do any of you guys have one or any suggestions?

Thanks,
Wes

· Registered
5,071 Posts
I think the type of lock is all a matter of preference. I like the manual dial due to simplicity but that's me. The safe should be fine with a dehumidifier, but I wouldn't take it for granted it'll totally stop corrosion and still check your stuff every so often. The only thing that would concern me about having it in the garage is just people walking by while you're in there working or mowing the lawn or whatever. You don't want to advertise that something of value is around. Even if you have an alarm most garages aren't wired up. Of course, if you live in the country it's not as big a deal! As far as which type, you can ask your insurance folks if they have a minimum spec or standard for safe storage and you might get a buck or two discount on your premiums. Just a thought.

· Premium Member
6,143 Posts
When I was looking into getting a safe a while back it appeared that folks in general had more issues with the electronic locks.

If you have it in the garage, or even in the house, consider building a false wall to put in behind. One thing I was looking at was security, and even most mid range safes are pretty susceptible to a simple pry attack. But of course they can't take what they don't know is there. Also, you aren't advertising you have a bunch of guns around to casual visitors.

Another thing I'd like to add is something active like these http://www.stopthecrime.com/prod-ab2000.htm .

Something else I've considered is having a gun in the safe as a trojan. Get one with a nice big stock on it and hollow it out to contain a GPS tracker, like this http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/small-real-time-gps-tracking.html . If there was something small enough that was maybe motion activated and uploaded it's position via the cell network, they would lead you right to themselves if someone ever took it.

· Registered
456 Posts

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Here is what I bought.

http://www.patriotsafe.com/gun-safes-40-wide.html

Its more expensive budget wise but its one heavy mother trucker. The bighorn weighed about the same. I was pretty concerned about fire safety as well, and most all the safes I looked at were rated for 1200 and that wasn't good enough. This guy is rated at 1880 for 2 hours so I liked it.

Also they will replace your safe if it gets broken into.

It has two locks on it, you need a key and a combo to work it, or there are 2 keys to open it if you run out of batteries.

I love the safe, just hope I don't have to move it.

· Registered
981 Posts

· Registered
23,340 Posts
Here is what I bought.

http://www.patriotsafe.com/gun-safes-40-wide.html

Its more expensive budget wise but its one heavy mother trucker. The bighorn weighed about the same. I was pretty concerned about fire safety as well, and most all the safes I looked at were rated for 1200 and that wasn't good enough. This guy is rated at 1880 for 2 hours so I liked it.

Also they will replace your safe if it gets broken into.

It has two locks on it, you need a key and a combo to work it, or there are 2 keys to open it if you run out of batteries.

I love the safe, just hope I don't have to move it.
I have the same thing....they are a good lower cost safe....not on the level of some of the high end brands with 4-7 gauge bodies, but they are decent if you secure them to the floor properly.

Sean

· Registered
1,093 Posts
I have a pretty large Patriot safe. No one is going to carry it off, unless they have a forklift and something to knock a big enough hole in the side of my brick attached garage. I also have the garage doors and the man door double locked and alarm wireless alarm systems in working order.

I have had quite a bit of trouble with the locking mechanism and the door/star wheel lock/unlocking mechanical system.

My Brother and I have had to work on the mechanical parts, sloppy welding, poor fitting, etc. The folks at Patriot have been good about sending us new parts, BUT! it has been a royal pain in the butt!

:2cents: :2cents: :mad:

· Premium Member
6,143 Posts
I'd like to get a nice Ft. Knox eventually when I have somewhere to put it.

If you haven't seen someone break into a safe you should definitely watch this:

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Those sturdy safes look nice, what are the prices on those? I like the 2300 degree fire protection and 7 gauge.

I dont think my patriot safe would be an easy mark though. I would say its a medium range safe, not a low end though.

· Registered
346 Posts
I have a Liberty Safe with a manual lock. I think that's the only way to go. Someone on this forum or perhaps the SKS Boards had a problem with their electronic lock on their safe and couldn't get in to it for over a week I think. The company had to send them a replacement keypad for them to be able to program it. But that was after they first gave some suggestions on fixing it that did not work. Safe in garage should be okay in most climates as long as you use a dehumidifier. I live in AZ so I don't worry too much about it... I just throw a Bullfrog dessicant pad in mine once a year.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Guys,
Thanks for all of the helpful advice. It is amazing how many different safes there are out there. I went ahead and ordered the Bighorn from Costco. It just seems like a good safe for a good price. The only problem is the 4 to 6 week delivery time. I will give you a hands on opinion when I get it.

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Hey folks,

Going to bring this thread back from the dead from a long time ago. Does anyone have any experience with a smaller closet safe? I'm looking for a closet safe to hold a few shotguns and pistols upstairs in the closet, and also to hold some of the stuff the wife has in the safe that isn't as important fire wise.

What I need...

#1 Something to hold a shotgun, Mossberg 500 / Mossberg 835 for stay in the room i'm clearing the house duty if needed.
#2 Something a lot lighter considering it will be upstairs in the bedroom closet.
#3 Cheaper, this is not my primary safe and won't be holding most of the guns, just something to stuff upstairs in.

I've seen some of the sentry safes and they seem ok. Very light weight and nothing fancy. No fire protection which I would like, but isn't necessary. Anyone have experience with the little guys good or bad? Can you make some recommendations? I'm looking at $500 or under if that is possible.

· Registered
447 Posts
If not your main safe, then maybe dropping the fire protection is the way to go. A simple locking cabinet of some sort?

Do you mean something like this?

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=448354&pCatg=10240

Or this one looks perfect:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Stack-On-In-wall-Gun-Cabinet.aspx?a=593357&kwtid=332531

Or just hidden...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/Video/ViewVideo.aspx?vtp=2492&a=590224

although this does not even seem to have the most basic of locks...

· Registered
1,113 Posts
Interesting... I told the wife we should go look at Sams club. Its certainly cheap and lightweight, although i'm not so sure about 18 gauge steel. Thats only .05" thick so I'd have to check it out. Still its not the main safe, but I wouldn't want to put too many valuables up in something like that.

The 2 gun in wall safe is really nice looking / sounding, but I would want something a little bit bigger as the wife was going to relocate some papers and stuff that isn't much important.

The picture looking one is definately out since it doesn't have a lock at all. Plus if that was in the closet it might look a little odd :)

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming... if we head off to SAMS today I'll take a look at that one.

· Registered
48 Posts
I lost a safe full of guns to my neighbors kids . It was a liberty safe and it probably took em 10 minutes to get into it . Cause they were so high. I lost 35 guns .Make sure you insure whats in your safe .
The only good thing that happened was Liberty gave me a new safe because of their warranty .
Putting your valuables in one of these cheap safes is like putting a sign that says take me .
The only person these safes are good at keeping out is mabe the babysitter and keeping your kids from showing the other kids yur guns

· Banned
8,010 Posts
I'd like to get a nice Ft. Knox eventually when I have somewhere to put it.

If you haven't seen someone break into a safe you should definitely watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M&feature=related
That video is so BS... there are no locking bars on the top and bottom. Not just that the locking bars on the sides seem awfully shallow.

No safe is fool proof. 8 or 10 gauge is not much harder to break in than 12 gauge if someone has the time and the tools. The best place for a safe is in a corner and have it bolted to the ground.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts