XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I'm trying to see who would be interested in/who could help test with a project for these guns. I have made a CAD file (mlok only at the moment but picatinny wouldn't be too bad to make) of an extension for the handguard. It on a standard length upper it would make the rifle look/feel more like a competition length while having the ability to be quickly removable. The barrel can be completely removed with the extension installed... I'm not looking to really make money on this or anything. I mainly want something I can put a bipod further out on than a standard length upper. Any opinions or help is appreciated guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't it be easier to just make an extension that could attach to the bottom mlok slot? Or buy something like this; Alpine Series M-Lok Paddle Board Extension, 8" M-Lok

A few options popped up with a quick google.
Yes and no. I personally am wanting something like what would go on a scar 17. I've explored a couple different mounting options. I'm in the process of getting a prototype machined. Attached is a photo of what I've gotten so far on CAD. Bear in mind this will have an mlok slot on top instead of picatinny. The item is 3.5 inches long.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Interesting idea. Do you have an XCR to help you get the dimensions to model the upper you want to attach to? The snout of the XCR's handguard is very square and you would need to either cover over it or extend under it to secure your extension to the handguard. Is your aim just to partially cover the barrel like that?

So do you have a 3D printer to make a prototype of your extension? You can use that to test the effectiveness of your idea. Machining a metal extrusion like this can get expensive; I've heard metal extrusion companies having very high minimum orders to produce things like these.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting idea. Do you have an XCR to help you get the dimensions to model the upper you want to attach to? The snout of the XCR's handguard is very square and you would need to either cover over it or extend under it to secure your extension to the handguard. Is your aim just to partially cover the barrel like that?

So do you have a 3D printer to make a prototype of your extension? You can use that to test the effectiveness of your idea. Machining a metal extrusion like this can get expensive; I've heard metal extrusion companies having very high minimum orders to produce things like these.
So, I have the manufacturing aspect taken care of, long story short. I have some connections in that regard. I do have an XCR as well. The dimensions are all accurate to a point, I can say that much. So what you're seeing in that photo is me modeling the shape of the handguard. I haven't designed the mount into the piece yet. I am going to get that printed in some sort of nylon/polymer material to check fitment. I have chosen 3 separate mounting ideas to pursue, and I haven't decided which is best yet. I am testing option A which would be easiest with that CAD drawing you're seeing. Essentially, I am going to use Mlok picatinny rails to secure the handguard to the rifle. A long, picatinny mlok rail on all 3 sides could allow me to mount items to the handguard while also securing it to the rifle.

Another option l am pursuing is using a long bottom rail that will mlok attach to the bottom mlok slights I have, while also having a circular tab for the barrel screw to fit in.

Last mounting option would be picatinny rails machined into the extension that would mlok screw into the handguard. I have considered possibly using the 45/135/225/315 degree slots to attach a bracket to. I am considering all of these options and I am hoping to have a prototype or two produced in the next couple months.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're interested in trying it, I'm working on getting a quote on 3d printing the file at the moment. Once I get a quote, I'd be more than happy to order more or send you the site I use for this kinda stuff.

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
Is the main draw the removability to configure for SBR length bbls? Otherwise, just seems like buying a comp upper is the better/simpler solution. JMO, of course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the main draw the removability to configure for SBR length bbls? Otherwise, just seems like buying a comp upper is the better/simpler solution. JMO, of course.
To be honest, this started because I just received my XCR in January. It took 9 months exactly for it to arrive. During this time, I spoke with their customer service about switching from a standard upper to a comp. They said hey, we can do it, it's 100 dollars more. I said hell yeah. The gun showed up with a standard upper. This is kinda my f#[email protected] you to them, as well as me wanting to tinker/build something. I also like the look better. The other functional aspect for me is the ability to run 1 upper and have it be longer if I want it to be. I have a 224 valk barrel in the mail at the moment, and it's 18.6 inches long. It's going to stick out quite a bit and I think that will look wonky. I want something to take up some of that space. I also think there is a lot of usable space added. A big complaint for me on these rifles as well as like a scar 16/17 set up is the lack of rail space. I ordered a light, I run a foregrip, and I plan on keeping a bipod on the gun. I want more room without using a comp upper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got mine in March of this year, 7 months of waiting after originally told 3-4 months, they sent it in the wrong color and I ended up waiting another 3 weeks to get the corrected color even after that. Super happy with what I got in the end, but things like that do make me wonder just how many braincells they have over there in their shop.

That aside, yeah, I'll keep an eye out for that site, I'd love to try and see how it looks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got mine in March of this year, 7 months of waiting after originally told 3-4 months, they sent it in the wrong color and I ended up waiting another 3 weeks to get the corrected color even after that. Super happy with what I got in the end, but things like that do make me wonder just how many braincells they have over there in their shop.

That aside, yeah, I'll keep an eye out for that site, I'd love to try and see how it looks.
For what it's worth, I think they have 1 guy doing absolutely all of their customer service. I don't think he can keep up. I feel your pain...

To everyone, I do have a friend who does cerakote. I'm not in this for profit. If this comes to fruition and you want one, I'll sell it for what it costs me to get it made and if you want it cerakoted, that can be done as well. If someone has a keymod upper, and would like one in keymod... I could do it I would just need dimensions.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you're interested in trying it, I'm working on getting a quote on 3d printing the file at the moment. Once I get a quote, I'd be more than happy to order more or send you the site I use for this kinda stuff.
Could you send a link to where you've uploaded the STL file for your handguard, or email it? I have access to 3D printers and I can just print out what you've made.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could you send a link to where you've uploaded the STL file for your handguard, or email it? I have access to 3D printers and I can just print out what you've made.
What's your email? The file is an IPT at the moment and I haven't tinkered much with converting it. I just sent it out to be printed. The final product is in mlok for mounting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bit of an update. Part cost me 60 bucks to get ordered. Should work on any upper in mlok as long as it has at least 2 mlok slots to mount to. I left the top mlok rather than doing a rail. I plan on putting a light there if it will not be too tall. Attached is current prototype CAD drawing.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would be interested in a key mod version, do you know if the extension would be compatible with an M or if they are they only compatible with the L model? Also I maybe miss understanding but shouldn't that section of mlok rail be going the opposite direction, to allow access to the gas block while still giving a surface to mount a lazerbeams to all the way out front. Kinda like how the scar bridged around the iron sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keymod would be a different battle. I don't have a keymod upper so I wouldn't be able to get the specific dimensions right. This is a first mockup type item... It would be possible to make this in the future but I sold the rifle and I don't have anything to model on now. If anyone wants the CAD file I'll send it. Just message me

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will tell you I don't either. I literally purchased a 3d print job from a 3rd party website. I need to fix the model a bit. The design fits, there are a few items that need fixed but I haven't had the chance to submit for another prototype. If you wanted it cheap, you can get it printed in carbon filled polymer and it'll be really strong and heat resistant. That was my plan before I sold the rifle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts