1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks gr8santini that is the one, I went back to the store and the magazine was gone anyway this one by CommandArmsAccessories http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=217&cID=20 looks like a nice option but I spoke w/ Betty from their sales dept and she said they won't be available for a couple of months, I also like this thang of theirs http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=160&cID=20 I personally like and use a versapod b/c I have the mounts on a lot of my hunting rifles http://www.versapod.com/products.asp?cat=13

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup that is the one. yeah i seriously like it; i didn't say i would buy it. i think it would be great to take out coyotes with. i have a nice spot where i sit with my back against a tree trunk and glass and call them in. i wonder if i could just buy the pan tilt head and use my own tripod. this thing would be perfect for that app. they probably sell a few to law enforcement snipers.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
A lot of snipers use these when shooting from temporary hides in buildings.

·
Registered
356 Posts
yup that is the one. yeah i seriously like it; i didn't say i would buy it. i think it would be great to take out coyotes with. i have a nice spot where i sit with my back against a tree trunk and glass and call them in. i wonder if i could just buy the pan tilt head and use my own tripod. this thing would be perfect for that app. they probably sell a few to law enforcement snipers.
I wouldn't throw it out if someone gave it to me but a bi-pod/mono-pod, portable bench or shooting sticks could all do the job on that coyote for a fraction of the price. Maybe in an urban sniping situation like MickeyC suggests but it looks heavy and cumbersome. It doesn't list its weight or the max weight it can support so who knows. I'm not an authority on stable shooting platforms but it just looked outrageous to me.

I've seen HUMVEEs and LAVs with modified .50 cal MG mounts that accept the M82A3 SASR which is pretty slick. It'd be nice if they sold just the head so you could mount it to your deer stand or whatever.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Remember that in an urban scenario you might be in position for hours at a time and you want a mount to be stable and properly supportive.

Personally I used to take a sandbag and use furniture to prop it up but what the heck.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
We used to use modified camera tripods that were fairly similar to shoot over brush or vegetation. The myth of the sniper always firing prone from a bipod and a bean bag were quickly broken I found out. Even shot off of a buddy's shoulder once.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Yup, I used to like the layback when shooting under fences etc.. Foot on the fence, rifle resting on the lower leg etc...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts