XCR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Wow. How does anyone even go about saying that to veterans? Well thanks for your service, but you now no longer qualify for health care. You see it will save us money!

I hope to goodness something like this isn't slipped in a 1,000 page bill that slips through the cracks and gets passed. If any legislation like this surfaces I'll be sure to write my represenatives, phone, bat signal, etc...

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
The truth is, they've been slowly whittling away at veterans' medical benefits for a long time.

It's a disgrace.

tk

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I never had to use my veterans medical benefits. Am I even entitled? I only served one enlistment and was honorably discharged.

I did use the GI Bill and VA home loans though! ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
You are definetly entitled, Cartmann.

And although it's sick what they have aimed at Vets, it doesn't stop there. There is the thought floating around that anyone over 60 would be put on a waiting list for major medical procedures such as a bypass and those under 60 would get priority for such procedures. :pissedoff:

G

·
eric, yes you kinda may be. depending on income. Clinton passed some stuff that increased benny's for many GI's.

Frankly although I am probably eligible for free healthcare thru the VA, I try to avoid it. It usually is a PITA. Last time I went to a "scheduled" annual appointment, they refused to provide me with the med's they had been for many years, so it ended up being a waste of time for me.

I may go sign up again as i cancelled my personal insurance because it was a ripoff.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
If you a veteran you are entitled to healthcare at any VA facility. If you didn't when you were discharged, you'll need to talk to your local VA folks, each county office usually has one. I'd give them a call. Once you get in the system it's not much different than scheduling any other medical appointment really. I've been to the VA here in Omaha numerous times, my father back in IN, and after all the trepidation and horror stories they have actually been quite efficient on most occasions. Naturally I can't speak for anywhere else or anyone else's experiences. For me it has been a shock going from military medicine with the witch doctors (excuse me, PA's because you really have to be in trouble to see to a real doctor!) to speaking with someone that doesn't make me feel like I'm wasting his time.

·
Registered
919 Posts
So what exactly is changing with VA health care? I don't have insurance so I've always kinda figured if my foot fell off or something I could get it taken care of at the VA.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Keep Dreamin , I'm 100 % DAV and have been since being discharged and retired by the US Army in 1985 .
After spending 16 years in the army and 11 years on a special forces A team . (last team ODA 583). We all thought that we would be taken care of by the VA .. Yea right . VA has a small budjet and is consontrating on Iraq war vets . Even I have a priority rating and I even have to wait for aproval for even basic stuff at my local VA center.My VA doctor doesn't give stuff to me without a fight . Remember Bush cut the VA budget . So you guys hoping for help later on will only get it if its life threatening . Its a good idea to have health insurance . Even on active duty. I've spent years fighting with the VA and its hard to win. I've won my case but it took years and years . :banghead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts