XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to a friend of mine that went to a Pat rogers course sometime within the last 3 weeks. He said there were 2 XCRs in the course and both went down due to Firing pins breaking. It sounded like they didn't have spare pins or roll pins so the guns stayed down. I guess Pat made the comment that he usually has at least 1 XCR in each course and he has yet to see one that hasn't broke in some way.

Now granted, my buddy said he broke both M4s that he took with him but he was able to get them both back up. He said when Pat has his mind set that he doesn't like something you are going to hear him talking about it.

Just wanted to throw this out there, see if anyone else had heard anything. This is in no way anything like my experiences with my gun. Granted, I haven't shot 1600 rounds through it in 36 hours but I am pretty sure I have put it through the most common scenarios that I am likely to encounter.

G

·
First I'll comment that until Zumbo went to his class, I'd never heard of pat rogers. second now that I have heard of him, It does appear that he is very AR-15 centric, which in my mind disqualifies him from being a well rounded instructor and thus not worthy of my training dollars or my interest.

second. I'd be interested to read any comments Pat has made RE the XCR. and if Robinson has actually diagnosed or heard from these owners.

third. ANY GUN can be made to fail if the operator does not keep it up or know the maintenance. I've seen the XCR operate relaibly in some pretty adverse mechanical conditions (2000 rounds of dirt, short chamber, a 120 round mag dump with a loose barrel, loose extractor etc.) and it has always performed as one would expect in the least and usually beyond what one would reasonably expect.

fourth. let this be a lesson to us owners that a spare parts kit and maintenance knowledge of the gun is a MUST.

·
Registered
532 Posts
How many AR's would have made it through a course like that within 4 years of the gun's release. There were quite a few revisions over the years.

I do, however, think the gun needs torture testing, and Pat's courses are good for that.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Pat is a reputable guy. I know we don't like to hear what he said about our rifles, but what he says does deserve some merit.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
the firing pins are still an issue imho. I've broken two. It's not a tough fix or anything, but it's certainly discouraging.

any details about this terra? was there a bad batch that weren't heat treated properly or something? or was there an issue with the bolts?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
ANYTHING mechanical is prone to breakage..... including our beloved XCRs. Sometimes the XCR gets a little help from the operator. This is why it's always best to check everything while you are cleaning your piece. In fact I do a once over, including the batteries, before the range trip. That comment applies to all those toys. :2cents: :duh:

G

·
this is the first I've heard of broken firing pins at all!! where exactly are they breaking and what style are they the rubber buffer type or the spring type?

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
this is the first I've heard of broken firing pins at all!! where exactly are they breaking and what style are they the rubber buffer type or the spring type?
+1 on all mechanical things are prone to failure. I don't think SCARs, Masadas, and HK416s will not be any different.

There has been problems with the firing pin, that is the reason why Robinson changed the firing pin design. Robinson even has a warning on their website about stop using your weapon if you get pierced primers and such.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and just for the record, it sounds like many guns went down at one time or another during the course. The XCRs however didn't have any spare pins and roll pins so they couldn't be fixed quickly like an AR would be able to.

One thing I forgot to mention was he said they were "agency" guns that were being put through there paces. Not sure what government agency they were from, or if they were maybe a local PD/LEO...he did say they were test guns though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
First I've heard of a firing pin issue.

The XCR will just keep getting better, so even if this is real it will just lead to an improvement.

Makes me want to go out and dump a 1000 rounds to see what happens. Maybe when 7.62x39 arrives

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Haven't had many broken firing pins. I've dealt with probably 6 or 7 issues in an entire year in a customer base of thousands, keeping in mind that the majority of that small number were the old style firing pins. Most cases, the firing pins had been through at least 4000 rounds. Nobody panic. :eek: It's normal wear, and we still take care of you.

*** As for the Pat Rogers guys - I have yet to hear from them. The last broken firing pin I remember dealing with was Jeremy's, almost a couple months ago.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Terra, do you have any guns out there that are being tested for possible purchase by LEO or a government agency?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine was the original firing pin and the new one looks much better. If you are worried about it, a spare firing pin is pretty inexpensive and heck, even a spare bolt is not too pricey IMO.

Down the road, I'll probably buy a spare bolt and a few other springs and such and be pretty much set for years for spare parts.

BTW my firing pin had probably 8K or so rounds.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Haven't had many broken firing pins. I've dealt with probably 6 or 7 issues in an entire year in a customer base of thousands, keeping in mind that the majority of that small number were the old style firing pins. Most cases, the firing pins had been through at least 4000 rounds. Nobody panic. :eek: It's normal wear, and we still take care of you.

*** As for the Pat Rogers guys - I have yet to hear from them. The last broken firing pin I remember dealing with was Jeremy's, almost a couple months ago.
I must be unlucky with my two. They were both new style as well.

This is the first one:

This is what happened to the second-the fp tip broke off, locked the bolt, and pogo'ing it wedged the tip in the barrel extension. After this I replaced the bolt and haven't had any problems. I do keep fp spares around though.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I know that the firing pins strike harder when you use a higher pressure ammo. That may be a factor. *shrug*

Like I said, though.. It's not a very common problem. ???

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I fully realize that what he has to say about the XCR may not be very popular here, but that doesn't mean it isn't valid.

Someone want to go take his course and see if your rifle can make it though? :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts