XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to order an XCR, I have several ARs in both heavy and light and am just wondering what the consensus is for the XCR as to whether I should order the heavy or light barrel.

Is it a significant weight difference between the two? Are there significant accuracy differences? What do most have and prefer?

Thanks for the info. I tried to search but didnt find exactly this question.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Lighter is better in my opinion, especially considering you're not likely to get much improved accuracy with an HBAR. Then again, my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm going with what Terra has. A heavy, fluted barrel.

The best of both worlds, to a point.

-Vic

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
light

·
Registered
327 Posts
Unfortunately, I dont see the fluted barrel as an option.
Its not you have to send you barrel to Adco Firearms LLC to have them do the flutting. I have the heavy barrel on mine and going to take Terra's advise and have it flutted, I want the Daywalker of barrels as well.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have no XCR yet, but fully intend to get a heavy and get it fluted. A barrel with more surface area appeals to my inner engineer.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Light SBR

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I have a fluted barrel on my DSA 58 para. It really lightens the muzzle and it makes it very quick on the point.

I've got a heavy barrel on my XCR and never thought about getting it fluted aftermarket -- but it's starting to sound like a really good idea.

tk

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
2nd for Light SBR. The heavy may not be much more weight but you carry that thing all day int he woods and you will start to notice it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm starting to think I'll go for the heavy barrel to start and then register it as an SBR and get the 12" light barrel after that and have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Anyone know the exact weight difference between the Heavy and Light? I know I am asking a lot here, but how about the weight of the Fluted?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Unfortunately, I dont see the fluted barrel as an option.
Its not you have to send you barrel to Adco Firearms LLC to have them do the flutting. I have the heavy barrel on mine and going to take Terra's advise and have it flutted, I want the Daywalker of barrels as well.
And about how much should one expect to pay to have the fluting done?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Given the option I will always take the light profile barrel every time. The heavy does not provide ANY advantage for the type of shooting I do and will ALWAYS add extra weight that I do not want. The heavy barrel feels like it weights twice as much when you hold them side by side as I have done a couple of times. Even with continuous mag dumps with suppressor installed, the pencil barrel doesn't get so hot that I would want the slight cooling advantage that the flutted barrel provides. I have had flutted heavy barrels on my AR's and while the look very cool I switched them for a pencile profile, even on my 6.8 SPC. For me "weight is where it's at"

MadDog :2cents:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts