XCR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the benefits of having an XCR-L with a heavy barrel compared to a light barrel? Also what would be the differences in weight?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Difference is about a half pound. Main advantage to the heavy barrel is a better cardio-vascular workout when lugging the rifle around.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I think you will see that there hasn't been any thing conclusive showing the heavy is more accurate. If you plan on cutting the barrel down it helps to have the bigger shoulder for the flash hider or suppressor.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Weight is about 8 oz difference

The heavy barrels only main advantage is that it is a better heat sink so POI changes with repeated/rapid fire will tend to be less with a heavy as opposed to light barrel.

One minor additional advantage is that even though we are talking 8oz, this weight is mainly towards the front of the rifle which can assist in reducing muzzle flip for follow on shots.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so how many of you have heavy barrels? Also, is it worth the extra $50? After all, the XCR is lighter than most other assault style rifles, perhaps with the exception of the AK. An authentic AK is extremely lightweight. I have had the pleasure of using one when I was a Gunner's Mate in the Navy. It was a true Russian made AK that we borrowed from SEAL Team 2 at Little Creek VA. 8)

Should I get one with a heavy barrel or what? Opinions? :-\

·
Registered
48 Posts
Should I get one with a heavy barrel or what? Opinions? :-\
In my opinion I'd go heavy and maybe even get it fluted. Someone on here said they had theirs fluted with great success. If Robinson offered a heavy fluted factory barrel, I'd go that route. But that's just like...my opinion man. 8)

And of course you can always buy heavy now and light later if you feel like it, or vice versa.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
it depends on your budget and how much you plan on humping it around.Heavy barrels might stay on target a little better in hammered pairs etc.,but is the $50 plus the $100 it'll take to get it fluted,plus the cost of refinishing,is it really worth the tradeoff.I've sat down and shot groups(light barrel) while the barrel was still warm(read hot as hell) and the point of impact shift and group size were negliable.Ultimately it ups to you.If you do any kind of run and gun school or anything like that in your training,you will quickly wish for a light barrel.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'd buy whatever you encounter first for the best deal.

Having said that, my XCR is a heavy barrel. When I stopped in at AIM, it was just what they happened to have. Personally, I"d rather have the lighter barrel, but it's not exactly a big deal.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ditto on Sloan's response.

My XCR is one of the early run HB 1:8 and I got it because that was what Kermit Zahn had in an NJ format at the time, been very happy with it.

Got into reloading end of last year so specced up some rounds this winter in Hornady 55, 60 V-Max and 75gr A-Max to see if there is any difference for me with the faster twist.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Although I don't have it yet, I ordered the heavy barrel. For me the ONLY issue is accuracy and the related muzzle flip. No matter how negligible the benefit might be, I want that benefit. Also figuring into that is the fact I don't intend to lug the rifle around for any extended periods. The only thing that would make me change my mind is if I thought the balance was considerable worse with the HB.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't intend to lug it around for extended periods either until the SHTF (viva la revolution). :handgunsfiring: :2rifle: :tank;

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
(viva la revolution).
LMAO...after we saved their ass TWICE in two different world wars...we should get a different battle cry instead of something French. ;D ;D Yea,yea I know they helped us gain Independence,something I'm eternally gratefull for,but I think we payed that debt a long time ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts