XCR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No XCR yet, I just placed an order with RA for an -M with a .308 light 16" barrel, so now the wait begins. I'm not usually a forum joiner but did this time for a couple reasons. First, to thank the forum members for sharing their knowledge of the XCR and the company, which helped my purchase decision a great deal, and second, to share my positive experience with RA's customer service, which I'll do in a separate post. With all the negative comments out there in internet-land, I think they deserve it.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
Welcome. What are they telling you the wait time is? Still out 6+ months? I put an order in a few months ago for an L.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. What are they telling you the wait time is? Still out 6+ months? I put an order in a few months ago for an L.
Thanks Sean, you were one of those whose posts I've been relying on.

Yes, still a six month lead time, or possibly slightly more. They said there are still some orders pending from last December.

I hope the M performs as I expect, if so I see a competition length L and a 7.5" .300 blackout in my future.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
Thanks Sean, you were one of those whose posts I've been relying on.

Yes, still a six month lead time, or possibly slightly more. They said there are still some orders pending from last December.

I hope the M performs as I expect, if so I see a competition length L and a 7.5" .300 blackout in my future.
I think a lot of guys have been waiting 8+. I'm good with it. Probably a lot harder to wait when it's your first. They are worth the wait though....best platform out there IMO....

Let the sickness begin....I have 9 of them, lol (Had 10....gave one to a friend).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think a lot of guys have been waiting 8+. I'm good with it. Probably a lot harder to wait when it's your first. They are worth the wait though....best platform out there IMO....

Let the sickness begin....I have 9 of them, lol (Had 10....gave one to a friend).
Dang, can I be your friend? :cool:

I'm good with the wait as well.

Thinking of adding a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel to my order, since they said the wait for anything with a barrel (conversion kit, etc.) will be the same as a rifle.

I think you had expressed previously that in your opinion the M isn't accurate enough to justify the Creedmoor for longer ranges. Is that still your current opinion?

TIA,
Curt

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
Dang, can I be your friend? :cool:

I'm good with the wait as well.

Thinking of adding a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel to my order, since they said the wait for anything with a barrel (conversion kit, etc.) will be the same as a rifle.

I think you had expressed previously that in your opinion the M isn't accurate enough to justify the Creedmoor for longer ranges. Is that still your current opinion?

TIA,
Curt
I'm not the one to ask as I don't do much long range shooting (even though I'd LOVE to get into it). If I could only have one .308, it would be the M....but there are platforms out there that are more accurate (for most shooters) and quite a bit lighter (POF Revolution DI comes to mind). I think that applies to 6.5C as well.

I think you may be thinking of Nate's comments on the 6.5C.

If I were already in the 6.5C game, I'd damn sure order a bbl with my M.

Reactions: InnocentBystander

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not the one to ask as I don't do much long range shooting (even though I'd LOVE to get into it). If I could only have one .308, it would be the M....but there are platforms out there that are more accurate (for most shooters) and quite a bit lighter (POF Revolution DI comes to mind). I think that applies to 6.5C as well.

I think you may be thinking of Nate's comments on the 6.5C.

If I were already in the 6.5C game, I'd damn sure order a bbl with my M.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is exactly where I am with .308 semi autos - the XCR will be my first, and for awhile at least, only. Just haven't seen any other designs that I liked well enough to justify the price tag, though for me the POF is a close second to the XCR.

Sorry for confusing Nate's comments with your own, that's what happens when I work from memory.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
That is exactly where I am with .308 semi autos - the XCR will be my first, and for awhile at least, only. Just haven't seen any other designs that I liked well enough to justify the price tag, though for me the POF is a close second to the XCR.

Sorry for confusing Nate's comments with your own, that's what happens when I work from memory.
No worries....

I love both my Ms. I think my 12" might be my go to for a bug out gun...it's a pig though.

Good luck with the wait. That part sux, but it will be worth it in the end.

Reactions: InnocentBystander

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I made mention of staying away from 6.5 in the M because of the accuracy results from my 308 M.

You do you. If you really want a 6.5 M. Do it. Based on my experience and generally what people are looking for in the 6.5, I find it hard to recommend the M. If I had more money/time I'd be happy to try again to see if anything has changed but none of my XCRs have been as accurate as my ARs or bolt guns.

·
Registered
126 Posts
What's everyone's impressions for the other -M barrel conversions, the .243 Winchester and the .260 Remington? Are they worth the time if 6.5 CM isn't? I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about hunting or sport shooting, but I heard these were popular calibers for those roles. With the standard XCR not really being a precision rifle however, I'm not sure if they would make sense to have if 6.5 CM is being questioned. Considering the popularity and relative availability of 6.5 CM ammunition, I'd snag that barrel if I wanted an alternative.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
What's everyone's impressions for the other -M barrel conversions, the .243 Winchester and the .260 Remington? Are they worth the time if 6.5 CM isn't? I'm not going to pretend that I know anything about hunting or sport shooting, but I heard these were popular calibers for those roles. With the standard XCR not really being a precision rifle however, I'm not sure if they would make sense to have if 6.5 CM is being questioned. Considering the popularity and relative availability of 6.5 CM ammunition, I'd snag that barrel if I wanted an alternative.
I think if you're looking to print small groups or you hunt at the far end of ethical shots, then you want as much accuracy as you can get and if that's the case, there are better alternatives for the money than the M. I think that's the general consensus for most shooters. We've had a few folks post sub MOA groups from Ms here, but I'd say it's outside the norm, especially when compared to other semi autos.

6.5C, .260 Rem. and .243 are all expensive unless you roll your own. If you do that, then again, to me....it would make sense to have the bbl conversions since they all fire from the same mags. If not.....308 makes the most sense since it's relatively cheap and available.

Reactions: Chowwow

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FWIW, I've decided to stick with .308 unless my particular M is surprisingly accurate. I'll probably just save my pennies for a .300 blackout pistol. Seems like a better alternative to an MCX pistol, and for less money at today's prices.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
FWIW, I've decided to stick with .308 unless my particular M is surprisingly accurate. I'll probably just save my pennies for a .300 blackout pistol. Seems like a better alternative to an MCX pistol, and for less money at today's prices.
I personally think XCR pistols are the real standout in the line up....in most calibers. Well, until Septemberish....when pistol braces become outlawed.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
FWIW

XCRs are screwed but an AR with mil spec buffer tube and a barrel over 11.6(ish) inches is over 26 OAL. Vltor A5 extension adds. 65ish".

I've got several 22s that are under the 12" and or the 64oz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts