XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just don't know what I should get for an optic. I have narrowed it down to two the Eotec, or an Aimpoint, I know the strengths of each but don't have any real trigger time behind them. So what do you all run? What do you recommend and why? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
What do you want to use the rifle for?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have an EoTech 512 (AA battery) on my AR and have shot Aussies XCR with the Aimpoint. I like them both, but for ruggedness, you can't beat the EoTech. If you are looking for Cadillac quality versus Caprice utility - then get the Aimpoint. I'd say optics are superior on the Aimpoint, and the single red dot is great for pinpoint accuracy. The EoTech (well, mine anyway) has the 1 MOA red dot with the 65 MOA ring. I sighted it in at 50 yards, and can easily transition from 25 yards to 100 yards without difficulty.

I chose the AA battery versus the N size battery. Yes, the unit is an inch longer, but AA battery is rated to last 1100 hours - while the N battery is rated at 200 hours. I felt the trade-ff was worth it.

I couldn't justify getting the NVG ready unit, seeing how I don't have a set of NVG's.

Not having had as much range time with the Aimpoint or similar units, I'll defer to someone else with more experience to comment fully on those.

Bottom line for me is that the EoTech is a great setup that is durable and functional. Oh yeah, be sure to get a neoprene cover. They are worth the few extra $$ and I put mine on while cleaning the weapon so as to keep cleaner/oil off the optics.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Well now - there you have it.

Looks like I might have to go buy one for my next rifle!

I do like the magnifier setup on the Aimpoint, even though EoTech has one (that doesn't really seem to match).

The only thing I didn't like about the Aimpoint was the filter. I found it to be difficult to use in low light conditions and that it detracted from my focus on the target (of course the fact that it is easily removed and re-installed is a NICE feature).

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
:eek: I didn't say that the EoTech wasn't a fine scope. I prefer the Aimpoint. My eyes see a sharpe image with the Aimpoint & a fuzzy image with the EoTect. ( aged eyes)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on using the rifle for self defense (SHTF situations), range work and maybe as a patrol rifle at some point.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
:eek: I didn't say that the EoTech wasn't a fine scope. I prefer the Aimpoint. My eyes see a sharpe image with the Aimpoint & a fuzzy image with the EoTect. ( aged eyes)
I certainly don't disagree with you TX. The EoTech is a great optic for its intended purpose. ;D

Mine is a little fuzzy too - and I'm of the belief that it is due to you (me) focusing on the distant objective/target, rather than the sight itself.

:2cents:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have both. I have an N and a AA eotech and a a comp m and a comp ml aimpoint. I have the Aimpoints on an an AK and an M1 carbine and the Eotechs on an XCR and a FAL.

Advantages for Aimpoint:
The new one has a battery life measured in years. Just leave em on and forget about them.
The one dot is less cluttered

Eotech:
I find it marginally quicker and less "scopey" to look through. It seems like I can see around it better.
The 1 MOA dot is more precise for me and makes hitting at longer range easier for me.
They come with an integral mount and the GandG accucam doesn't add any height.
The AA runs on easy to find batteries. In the SHTF scenariol, you can always find someone's remote control and take th batteries.

I gather that some of then newer aimpoints have integral mounts and take common batteries.

I also have a Larue Poboy magnifier that works pretty well.

At the end of it all, I have EOTECHs on the rifles I use the most, train with, teach classes with... I just like the heads up aspect of it and like the smaller dot. That said, they're both excellent sights.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
For close in (0 - 200) I like my Eotech. Man size targets can actually be engaged out to 300+ if you know what you are doing. The Circle/Dot combination is FAST. Two things I don't like about them is it has a BATTERY, and it is not offered with a variable power. :2cents:

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I like the EOTech close in as well. With the magnifier you can engage to longer distance. I tend to turn the brightness down for longer distance and up when close.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I went to the Gun Show, last weekend, to specifically look at the Millet DMS-1. Not ONE Millet at the show. I would actually like to shoot it on the range before I decide to buy. I do like the lighted recticle feature, and it is variable for long shoots.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I have a mix of scopes on various rifles and the DMS-1 is for me excellent value. I have a Horus Talon, an IOR 2-12x32 as well as an EOTech and Nightoorce etc.. The Millett is great for all purpose shooting and with a different name it could command a higher price. A similar version does in fact carry a price of $350.

The EOTech is a abenefit over tubed scopes during CQB. A perfect chhkweld is not essential to accurate shooting as the eye relief is not an issue nor is exact eye alignment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right now I am leaning toward the Eotec, price is one of the major reasons. I also like the circle dot combo, it seems like it is faster to me. Also having AA batteries is a plus too. I can't wait to get my XCR it should be in soon my dealer placed the order this week. It is going to have th heavy barrel, Midwest sights, folding Vltor stock, CAA FGA vertical grip/light, magpul grip, magpul rail covers. I think topping it off with the Eotec should finish it nicely, well that and 10 P-mags. ;D

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Here is my canned answer that I always use:

-----------------------

I have both, and they are both great. However, if I had to choose just one, it might have to be Eotech. But you really can't go wrong with either.

Advantages of Eotech:

- Eotechs are faster. That 65 MOA outer ring makes it easy to naturally place on target and his very fast. Nothing is faster.

- Eotech is cheaper. A Eotech 512 will run you about $350. A Aimpoint ML2 will run you about $480 (with mount).

- Eotech is more precise. The 1 MOA center dot of the Eotech is great for long range precision work. The 4 MOA dot on the Aimpoint will flood targets past 100 yards. Not a big deal if you are use to irons, and guys can still be accurate with irons, but I like my site to be smaller than my target.

- Eotechs is easier to use in the bright sunlight. Even if your Aimpoint has the 4 MOA dot, it takes a little extra concentration to see the dot, while it takes no effort to see the 65 MOA ring of the Eotech.

- Eotech has larger Field of View. This is nit pick as both are suppose be used with both eyes open, so Field of View is not an issue.

- Eotech you do not have to be inline. This is another nit pick. Both have infinite eye relief, but with the Eotech you can be off to the side a little and still be able to use it. With Aimpoint you have to be directly behind it like a magnified scope.

Advantages of Aimpoint:

- Aimpoint has Long Battery Life. You can leave the Aimpioint on for a whole year before the battery runs out (5 years if you have the M3 or ML3). You could throw the gun in the back crew cab of your truck with it on and forget about it, or turn it on before you go to bed and it will be ready to go at any time. Eotech says 1100 hours, but I don't know about that as I already have changed the battery on my Eotech twice and I don't even leave it on for extended period of time.

- Aimpoint Looks better. Nothing looks better on an M4 than an Aimpoint.... If you don't count ACOGs [:p]

- Aimpoint is more water resitant. Eotech claims water proof to 10 feet. Aimpoint claims 75 feet. I have not thrown either in the water to confirm this.

- Aimpoint is more rugged. This is arguable, but the Aimpoint just appears to be better built. Eotech appears it could be taken out with one good bang while I can't see any way to take out an Aimpoint.

Once you get use to one, it would be harder to like the other one. For me I switch frequently between the 2 so I am not really locked into just one. Good to be proficient in everything you possibly can, because when the SHTF, you never know what you are going to be stuck with.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The Aimpoint has unlimited eye relief/parallax free. You actually do not have to be directly behind it, as with a magnified scope. Any time that you can see the dot, the dot is on target, and you can look through the tube in the same manner as if there were no lenses in it at all... it is not magnified.

I have not spent a lot of time with Eotechs, so maybe due to the "tube" design you can be at a more extreme angle with it; I don't know. With the Aimpoint, any time your head is anywhere near the stock, you can see the dot... I've never had a problem with it.

Also if you go with the Aimpoint, I would go with the 2MOA dot rather than the 4moa... the 4 is too big.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Which one (Aimpoint or EoTech) is better when used with BUIS?

TIA,
Ray
If you are talking about the ability to co-witness the BUIS through the sight I can say that with my Eotech 553 the red dot is perfectly lined up with the BUIS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just bought an Eotec 512, I think that I am going to like it. Now all I have to do is wait for the XCR to arrive.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts