XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and talked to a local dealer about ordering me a XCR in 5.56, with 16" HB, no sights, and a M4 adapter.
$1330 was the figure I was quoted. That sounds Ok to me, but I am torn between a RRA Elite Comp for $1250, and a DPMS Mark 12 for $1338.
I will have to sink another $300 into the XCR to make it functional, the other rifles come loaded.
I want a XCR, but I am limited by Bank of Wife to about $1500 total.
I am wanting a reliable go to rifle for HD, and general fun on my property.
Also, this will be the last rifle I can get before the new presidentail term comes in Jan.
AAARRGGHH!
(That was my pirate distress sound)

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
That's a very good deal. Suggested retail from us for those specs is $1464.99 (that's if it has the folding/collapsing hinge assembly)

I don't know what dealer you talked to, but he's giving you a great price. :)

Buy it. With the XCR, you will be able to change calibers even after the election. It's like having multiple rifles in one. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Terra. It is with the non-folding M4 adapter.
Will you email me and tell me how hot I am if I buy the XCR? :)

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I didn't look up the other rifles, are you saying they come with optics? Not sure what you mean by "loaded". Do they have monolithic one piece rails? How about adjustable piston system?

Ok, so I know that the other ones are ARs, I maybe am being a little sarcastic. For $1330 you should jump all over the XCR. Get some Irons for it and you will be set. You will have a better rifle in the long run.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I can tell you this.....

I live in the desert. High desert plateau to be exact, just over a mile high elevation. LOTS of red sandstone that has been eroded into a fine dust - we call it sand.

In this environment, the AR design just lacks.

The last course I did was almost 1000 miles away, but there they have red clay that dries and gets powdered into a dust. Very similar. Out of the class, there were 2 fellows with something other than an AR - my XCR and my buddies 18" M14. We were also the only two people that didn't have weapons choking during the course.

I'm not impressed with what I've seen the DPMS brand ARs do. RRA is better, but still not as ergonomic or reliable as an XCR. And you can't get an RRA similarly outfitted (that quad-rail runs the price up! If you want monolithic, just the upper is more expensive than an XCR) for the price of an XCR - and the XCR is still more reliable.

For what it's worth, I did something similar to what you're thinking - I bought XCR complete lowers in anticipation of a bad election. Er, I'll rephrase that as "an election that CAN NOT be good". That makes 4 XCRs, and I'm down to one AR now. That should give you all the info you want ;-)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Both the AR rifles I am looking at have rails, Ergo grips, Magpul stocks, and iron sights.
One is 18" with a 1/8 stainless, the RRA is 16 with CL 4150 barrel.
I have a lot of experience with Ar's, so the XCR is new to me.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Now, your rifle may not be coming with sights - but you get a full rail system already machined on it. A stock isn't that much from us -

tell you what. Buy the XCR and I will work out a smashing deal on a stock + sights. PM me for prices. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been a revolver shooter, exclusively, for a long time. Hadn't touched a rifle in +20yrs. Have no interest in semi handguns, though I used to own a couple of 1911's. When I decided, for reasons still unknown, to get a black rifle I was starting from scratch, with zero knowledge of the field. With Google at my side I did a lot of research. The result was the XCR now residing in my workroom. I bought it, more than any other reason, because I believe it'll go bang every time I pull the trigger. I don't believe an AR will do that, nor will a Sig. An AK probably will, but there's so much junk floating around out there that it's hard to take them seriously. I simply don't where you can get equivalent quality, plus 100% bang for your buck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a dpms A1 14.5" that has never failed to miss a single beat. But, my daughter cleans it well and takes care of it for me. I am gonna go ahead and join the XCR family anyway. Customer support has won me over. Plus, it just looks like a really good rifle, and it will irritate SIGforum and AR15 forum people, as well as Obama people. Sounds like a win-win situation.
I will order it next week, and post a range report(my backyard is my range) ASAP.
I do appreciate all the info you all have given me. Thanks and vote pro-gun.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Just say NO!! To impingement. ;D AR's are THE cool weapon to have nowadays.That in my opinion,is just how easily people are influenced by image rather than facts.Take the election for example.People will vote for a candidate for now other reason than color,or some other superficial thing,and have no idea why they should.
What gets me everytime some guy describes how reliable an AR is,it is always accompanied by the "if you keep it cleaned and well lubed" statement.Yes I know every machine needs maintenance,but if it's necessary to the point of being anal,I'll never own it.
Then when people mention how much cleaner and cooler gas piston AR's are,as well as other piston driven designs,they say things like "well no one fires 1200 rounds in a firefight" or "gas piston guns aren't as accurate" or "they increase weight too much".To that I say BULLSHIT.First,there have been times in the field when troops can't maintain their weapons as well as they should,even if they can isn't it nice to know your weapon could if were to be necessary?
Second,piston driven rifles can be as accurate as impingement rifles.If you want a bench/target rifle buy a turnbolt.Third,what's a couple Oz's compared to dead nuts reliability and less time cleaning when it is necessary? Not to mention the XCR is about the same weight as an M4.By the way that's an M4 without the rail system installed.
I'm sure everyone here can do the math.In my opinion,it's a no brainer.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
704 Posts
The others have hit most of the highlights of the gun. With Terra on board at RA, customer service is probably the best I have come across in the gun industry. Larue and Magpul come close but Terra beats their response times by quite a bit when responding to emails/PM's. I hope she doesn't get burnt out as I get a lot of responses the same day after regular business hours.

The XCR is my go to gun and I wouldn't trade it for anything on the market right now. I run a short, light barrel and a longer heavy barrel depending on the task at hand. Both return to zero with their individual optics. Even if you don't plan to switch barrels, the ability to remove the barrel once a year or more depending on how much you shoot for a detailed cleaning is a huge plus. Knowing that it returns to zero makes it a no brainer to detail clean it. With the barrel out, there is nothing you can't clean and get it looking like new.

I don't think you can go wrong with the XCR!

·
Registered
384 Posts
i didnt read every response, by ill put my 2cents in. the xcr can shoot wolf ammo and that equals big savings in ammo costs. if your just plinking anyway wolf works just fine.... :2cents:

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I know, just look at the 3/4 shot oif the cleavage.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts