XCR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first post here and new XCR owner!!!
I bought an XCR from a friend. He had these flip up sights installed on it. The front sight is marked "Samson" and the rear is marked "YHM". I was told to sight it in 1 inch low at 25 yards and that would get me close to right on at 200 yards. I only have access to an indoor 25 yard range.
So I got the sights centered but the gun is still hitting about 2 to 3 inches low at 25 yards. I have the "Samson" front sight post turned all the way down as far as it goes. Is there another way to get my groups to come up a little more? And am I correct in trying to sight the XCR in at 1 inch low at 25 yards?

P.S. I need a scope because I can't see shit with irons at 100 let alone 200 yards!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Now that you mention it, I did have to get my Troy front sight pretty near the bottom to get on target at 100 yards. Maybe its a height over bore thing with sights that were designed for an AR.

Remember they are backups; I was shooting it with a crappy Simmons scope after that for the first measure of groups, and intend to go to a better optic as primary pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Ok first post here and new XCR owner!!!
I bought an XCR from a friend. He had these flip up sights installed on it. The front sight is marked "Samson" and the rear is marked "YHM". I was told to sight it in 1 inch low at 25 yards and that would get me close to right on at 200 yards. I only have access to an indoor 25 yard range.
So I got the sights centered but the gun is still hitting about 2 to 3 inches low at 25 yards. I have the "Samson" front sight post turned all the way down as far as it goes. Is there another way to get my groups to come up a little more? And am I correct in trying to sight the XCR in at 1 inch low at 25 yards?

P.S. I need a scope because I can't see shit with irons at 100 let alone 200 yards!
I have never tried samson, but my MI front site needed one rotation down to be dead on at 25 yards. My old XCR had issues with zero and YHM sights. Took lots of tinkering to get it dialed, but I havent had that problem with my new model.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is the problem with mixmatching with certain parts.

If you have a hard time seeing a target at 100, let alone 200, sight it in solely for 100. Use a scope other than that. You will still hit your target in the vital region up to 200M anyways.

Always verify where you put it at 25m for zero goes where you want it to go at 100/200/300 and so on.

If you must absolutely have it at 1" below POA at 25M, you can 'shave' a bit off the front sight. I think Sampson's use standard AR right post. Whatever it is make sure you can get another front sight post in the event you screw it up. Don't do more than .5 mm or 1/32 at a time. It might end up kinda goofy but you'll have it zeroed. My Troy FS had to go low as well with an ARMS 40 at the back. It's also offset a tad to the left.

PS move this to the sight section or problem section.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't know XCR's specifically but since it's still the same 5.56 from an AR15. I ass-u-me that the bullet trajectory is the same. I think this was what you were asking?

the Improved Battlefield Zero for AR15 carbines (with A1 rear sights) is: zero the rifle at 50 yards (not meters). This keeps bullet within 2" of POA from 8m out to 220m. Also recommended in co-witnessing Red-Dot type sights. With A2 sights, the rear sight should be bottomed out and adjusting that elevation throws this calibration out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts