XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gunner- Saw your posts about your 6x45mm M96, have been thinking a little about this cartridge and taking the plunge on a custom barrel or two. I've read some stuff about it but was wondering if it is really as easy as necking up the 5.56 case to 6mm? Do you need to anneal the case neck? What's been the average life a case for reloading, the same or worse than 5.56? Any trouble feeding through a standard USGI mag? Tried it in a PMag?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I have NOT tried it out of the PMag. However it HAS fed reliably out of EVERY other mag I have shot it from. Easy as hell to make, no big deal. Buy a set of dies and it's a one step process. Brass lasts forever. I have shot 70gr up to 85gr bullets. Currently shoot the 85s with good results. Really it is a 300 meter round (lack of powder) but then who CONSISTENTLY shoots 1,000 or even 600 meters? Not many of us has a range that will allow it. For you that can, you are a lucky lot. The reason this caliber did not catch on is because it is NOT a long range caliber. No body seemed to mind that the AVERAGE grunt does NOT EVEN TRY many long range shots due to lack of confidence to MAKE a hit at the longer distances. Accuracy wise, the 6x45, is VERY accurate within its 300 meter limitation. The Navy Seals tested it in Viet-Nam in the 1960s and liked it, but did not convince the military to buy it. That is where I was introduced to it, and liked it immediately. I DON"T like the mouse caliber and never have. It is about as effective as the M-1 carbine in my opinion. The 6x45 uses the same bolt and mags as the .223/5.56, and requires only a barrel swap. I have an AR upper, in 6x45, that I have been shooting since the late 60s, that has provided adequate meat for the pot (and critters to mount).

I sent my extra M96 .223 barrel off to Redmans Rifling & Reboring http://www.redmansrifling.com who do a great job. WARNING... it is a bit expensive to have the barrel done, but they do excellent work. http://loaddata.com has more than enough reloading data for this and many other calibers. If you shoot small game up to hogs and whitetail deer at 300 meters or less it may be good for you to think about. A hell of a lot cheaper that the 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC. :2cents: And a lot more easy on the old pocket book. If I can be of assistance let me know. ;D

If you get Shotgun News, you may have noticed High Standard is selling 6x45 AR Uppers. Maybe this caliber will become more popular after all.

Good reloading info on http://www.stevespages.com too.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gunner for the reply! I saw a barrel or two back in the day for AR's but didn't want to go the route of a different cartridge in my supply chain of reloading. I was looking at some reloading data, nothing specific, and it looks like you can get some of the lighter slugs well past 2800fps so it makes the 6.8 and it's larger bullet a little less stellar. In reading, some folks have gone up to 100gr+ and still fed from the magazine but I think that the velocity would be pretty low with those.

Our range can do 600yds, steel gongs out to 500yds, so we end up shooting everything out that far to see how we do. The 5.56 drops a lot, about the same as the 6.8 but it still makes it out there. The 300yd comments are probably fair, but even the little 5.56 can still do a little damage well beyond that, so the heavier slug from the 6x45 would do the same I reckon. But like you said, and we stressed in training, yeah, your rifle may be able to shoot that far but beyond a couple hundred meters you're focusing more brain power on target detection. The bad guys are goofy in that they don't stand still against a contrasting background like the silhouettes use in training!

What loads have worked well for you in the past? I'm a big fan of BLC-2 and was glad to see it as a top performer in the load data I looked at.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I started out with BLC-2, with good results, tried H-335, several other powders and even Win748. The 6x45 is very forgiving and can use a lot of popular powders the 5.56 uses. I currently use 23.0gr of W-748 pushing the 85gr Nosler Partition with an OAL of 2.200. It shoots with pinpoint accuracy and little report or recoil. A gong will go ping with a 5.56, and bong with a 6x45. In an AR dimensioned weapon they are a caliber to be reconned with. If you can't afford a 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel it would be a great choice for the reloader. Case capacity is its enemy. If I had a choice of caliber to shoot some f**k (or animal) with a 5.56 or 6x45 the 6x45 has my nod. :2cents:

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm liking the the 6x45 a little more every time I think about it. Same bolt, same mags and a round with a little more thump down range. In a platform like the XCR I'm thinking it would really kick butt, just like your M96, with the barrel swaps.

I could probably get Doug Girard to custom build a trimmer insert for it to speed reloading up. With 5.56 I'm able to crank away with a Dillon 1200 on the 1050. I still chamfer/debur those cases but that's piddly compared to my old crank style trimmer. That's about the only downfall on the reloading side I see. Bullets will be a few bucks more but I always buy in bulk to keep the end price down. Hornady is down the road, Sierra is over the line and they both have everything from varmint, soft point, match HPBT and even FMJ slugs. I've got a little hand crank cannelure tool from Corbin so I can groove them where they seat for me too.

Do you go straight to a 6x45 FL die or do you use any other type of neck expander first? Redding, RCBS or ??? dies?

I stopped picking up the SGN because it was costing me too much money! ;) If you get a free minute can you shoot me a link for those 6x45 uppers?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
My 6x45 dies are C&H, any manufacture will do. As I said it is a "one step" operation. The case trim length is the SAME as 5.56, so you can use your Dillon trimmer. Bullet weight is 70 - 90 grains, if you want to shoot from a standard AR mag. The sizer expands and sizes the case in a one step operation. What rifle were you thinking of going for in the 6x45? I haven't had to make a groove in the bullets yet, why do that if you don't have too?

I looked for the High Standard add, and can't find it. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Check these out: http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54492
http://www.ar15barrels.com
http://www.dtechsuperstore.com

If it were me, I would run a post on the various gun forums for a used barrel or upper (if AR). If I were going with doing it for my XCR I would go Redmans, as they are masters at reboring. If for a Ruger Mini-14, I would probably call Accuracy Systems http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com (I think they also do AR work).

In my AR I chose the 20" barrel to get the additional velocity. If I do my part it shoot LESS than an inch (MOS) at 100. Dtech also has reload info. You will find you get MORE velocity with the same powders than the ,223 with heavier bullets. Go figure? I had a "factory second" bulk buy in the 85gr SPs years ago, from Midway, and thats what I've been shooting. Have shot varmite, buzzards, and Southern Whitetail without fail. Taken 7 whitetail without loss. The 6x45 was a BENCHREST round for years so you will find it VERY accurate.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Dillon trim die is a FL die so I think it'd be a toss on which would be more cost and energy effective. I'm sure boring out the die to .243+ size wouldn't be an issue and the Girard trimmers are caliber specific too but he makes trimmer components for other 6mm cases so I think both would end up being about the same. I like the automation in the Dillon, I sized and trimmed 700 5.56 cases yesterday afternoon in a touch over 30 minutes. If I could afford a Camdex now that would really be something!

When I got my 6.8 AR upper built awhile back and was shooting some cheaper, .270 generic bullets not especially intended for the 6.8, the rounds kept getting set back when chambering even with the 'M4' feed ramps. With the 6.8 specific bullets and a cannelure it wasn't an issue, so cannelure my own bullets and be done with it. It also helps the bullet break up too.

Thanks for the help and answering questions Gunner!

·
Registered
874 Posts
This is a great caliber for areas with caliber restriction on deer hunting. In my Province in Canada we can only use 6mm or .243 caliber and larger to hunt with so this is kinda a nice idea.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
6.8 is quite a good Deer caliber.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Update.... For those of you looking at the 6mmx45 in an AR check out Shotgun News July 20, 2008 Issue, page 136, High Standard Advertisement both Commando and 20" Uppers available.

·
Registered
636 Posts
So is 90 grains the max U can go in the standard AR mag?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update.... For those of you looking at the 6mmx45 in an AR check out Shotgun News July 20, 2008 Issue, page 136, High Standard Advertisement both Commando and 20" Uppers available.

Did they list a web site? I found a High Standard on-line with AR rifles but they only listed 5.56. I'm going to try and make it out to get a SGN tonight hopefully but just in case.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
They did not list a website. This will probably call for a phone call. The 90gr is MAX, I recomment the 70-85 grain. With the 85gr it is wicked. As in ANY caliber, shoot placement is critical. :duh:

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
The more you guys talk about this little round the more i wonder if maybe we shouldn't see if we can get Alex to get us a few blanks...or turn them for us. Not right now of course, probably after the M makes it to everyone. I am just thinking about the ~20K pieces or so of 5.56 brass i have sitting at the house. ;)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
got some Redding dies in last night and sized five cases to check it out. Real easy with their tapered expander too. It's imminent....

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Like I said, "It's just like making 5.56." No fire forming or any of that stuff. Same mags, same followers, same everything. Are you planning to 6x45 your old XCR barrel, or do it in an AR? Redmans does an awsome job reboring, and I highly recommend them if it's for your XCR. :2cents:

Aziator, when you get back from the "sand box" you can shoot mine, if you end up at Fort Rucker. I took a whitetail on Rucker with my 6x45 AR about 8 years ago. Single shot at approximately 85 yards on the firing range out of the Hunting Clubs stand. Should have got a wild hog too, but it was in tall grass and I didn't have a clear shot. ;D

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Gunner, what type of performance and range do you get out of it? I will plan on taking a trip over your way when I get back. I have some friends with a dairy farm in Dothan that I want to get a side of beef from.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Gunner,

I hadn't really considered this chambering before, but there are plenty of options in the .243 range to play with. I'll have to take a closer look at it.

Have you played with the 75gr VMAX in this caliber?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
FAL, no I haven't. I bought a shitload of Nosler "seconds" from Midway a few years back. I probably won't need another bullet buy in 6mm until 2060! A 75gr VMax should shoot great, it will definitely travel a hell of a lot faster than my 85gr bullets. Funny thing is I have NOT had a problem with ANY bullet tried, EVEN though they have NO cannulare. Go figure..... in .223 I have had problems in bullets WITHOUT one. ???

Aziator, do drop by if you find time. Within 300 yards the 6x45 is amazing, great groups too. It is listed as a "marginal" deer cartridge, but works well on everything I have shot with it including deer. I wouldn't try it on anything bigger than deer though. Works great on coyote. You will enjoy my mortar and cannon too. ;D 8) >:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts