1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just signed up :)

Have 2 questions.

1. How do i remove the extractor?
2. why is a replacement extractor the most expencive small part? ???

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Welcome to the party!

...but to answer your question, I don't know. Kinda looks like an old M60 extractor in a way. Maybe have to push back against the spring and then lift up at the same time. Good question though!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the Family Backto9

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just signed up :)

Have 2 questions.

1. How do i remove the extractor?
2. why is a replacement extractor the most expencive small part? ???
1. Page 21 of your Operators Manual Extractor Removal. When you locate a 5/64 punch let me know where you got it.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
any punch will work.

In answer to the price on them... it's really a very expensive part to make. The machining and having the little buggers heat treated ends up costing us a pretty penny. The price you pay isn't much different from our cost.

We did our job, though. The little bastards NEVER wear out... worst case scenario, you lose it.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Not sure it would need to be brass, Terra, what says you?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I use the carbon scraper tool in my OTIS kit.

The extractor doesn't have a coil spring like what an AR does - it uses a synthetic part which functions like a torsion bar.

Hook the front of the punch / carbon scraper / ballpoint pen on the edge of the bolt and pry. The extractor spring will compress just enough to let the detent ride down, and it'll slide out the side of the bolt.

FWIW, I think the extractor set-up on the XCR is one of those "light years ahead of the AR" things.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Terra and all. I guess since i shoot mainly 75G wolf thru it that i should pick up and learn how to replace extractors but now think its probably not needed as its such a stronger part than on my AR.

I always like to know how to completly tear down and fix my weapons though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts