XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody! I'm new to the XCR but I was following it before it came out. I was waiting to see what else would be developed and after seeing the price tag on the SCAR-L, I choked a little. Then I got to thinking about what to get between the XCR, Colt 6920 and the AUG and pretty much decided on getting BOTH the XCR and 6920. I have a few questions first tho.

How much is the lowest I can expect to pay for a 5.56 version, 16in barrel and no irons?

Is there an adapter for the Magpul CTR stock and tube?

What's the best way to acquire one? Order through a dealer and wait or are there other avenues to get one?

I saw a shoutbox with some shout outs about orders, can XCR's be ordered directly through this website?

What are some of the advantages over the 6920 and the XCR?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
(1)If you find a dealer and send RA their FFL,have RA send the rifle to your dealer and pay him a transfer fee.You can pay RA directly and get one without a stock for under $1300
(2)Yes there is both a fixed and folding M4 adapter,allowing you to install any type of stock using a buffer tube,although you will not need either the buffer or spring.
(3)You can order through a dealer,but you will pay his markup,anywhere from 10% up to 25%
(4)No,Give RA a call and ask for Allison,or Terra they will take good care of you.Last I heard it's about an 8 week lead time.
(5)Do you mean what are the advantages of the XCR vs the M4? If that's what you meant,it's a long list.Try this link and it might answer most of your questions.If not feel free to ask http://www.robarm.com/XCR_FAQ_Answers.htm#Why_is_the_XCRTM_the_best_combat_rifle

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi don't tread on me. thanks for the informative reply. does anyone know if there are plans for a 5.45x39mm version?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
5.45 has been talked about but don't think it's really being pursued at the moment. Alex said there is a surprise caliber conversion coming out EOY, if that's still on the table or not after the post-election frenzy remains to be seen. The speculation on what it is varies person to person though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just picked up my second one in Salt Lake City at Doug's Shoot N' Sports. They just got a few from Alex, but I know they will go quick. If you don't want to wait and want a fair price give them a call today.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
If 5.45x39 continues to be some of the cheapest ammo for semi-auto centerfires,and good magazines from C-Products are already being maufactured,I would say there is an excellent chance that it will be on the short list.I would think for those that already have a 7.62x39 kit all you would need would be a new barrel,and magazines.There is a poll that you can vote for your choice of caliber conversions.Try this http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,1516.0.html

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If 5.45x39 continues to be some of the cheapest ammo for semi-auto centerfires,and good magazines from C-Products are already being maufactured,I would say there is an excellent chance that it will be on the short list.I would think for those that alreay have a 7.62x39 kit all you would need would be a new barrel,and magazines.There is a poll that you can vote for your choice of caliber conversions.Try this http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,1516.0.html
looks like .22 and 5.45 are in the lead! 5.45 would be awesome for me personally, i have a stash of 12k bulgarian.

·
Registered
390 Posts
For the CTR stock, where does one find the adaptor to make it work with the XCR?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wish i could call dougs but i'm waiting on my xmas bonus.....i hope xmas wasn't cancelled this year at my office.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
They take deposites/do layaway plans I believe. Don't know if they would do it for someone out-of-state, but it's worth checking in to.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Everybody! I'm new to the XCR but I was following it before it came out. I was waiting to see what else would be developed and after seeing the price tag on the SCAR-L, I choked a little. Then I got to thinking about what to get between the XCR, Colt 6920 and the AUG and pretty much decided on getting BOTH the XCR and 6920. I have a few questions first tho.

How much is the lowest I can expect to pay for a 5.56 version, 16in barrel and no irons?

Is there an adapter for the Magpul CTR stock and tube?

What's the best way to acquire one? Order through a dealer and wait or are there other avenues to get one?

I saw a shoutbox with some shout outs about orders, can XCR's be ordered directly through this website?

What are some of the advantages over the 6920 and the XCR?
The first three advantages that come to mind; Ergonomics, cost and durabillity.
Ergos are kind of a subjective thing.

Then when we do a cost comparison of,,,,
this http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=714 plus this http://www.bigskyguns.com/Colt-Colt_6920_M4_LE_Marked.html = :eek:
as compared to http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=607657 (The monolithic upper is a standard feature on the XCR) ;D

Durabillity.
Lets ask the Three Gun competotors if its nescessary to keep XCR parts keep on hand or if anyone has ever heard of a broken XCR bolt?

BTW Field changeable barrels at the user level in less than a minute is a nice plus, makes for a very compact package.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
You ever hear of anyone breaking an AK bolt.....nuff said.I like the fixed ejector too,you'll never have to worry about the ejector spring getting weak and needing replaced or crap building up in/around the plunger and clogging it up,you never have to worry about the heat from the impingement system cooking the bolt,firing pin spring,ejector spring,or cleaning all the crap with a scraper off of and in between all those "little"lugs on an AR bolt......The gun runs so much cooler than an AR that you can touch the bolt after firing several magazines,try that with an AR.
Not sure how often you will have to do that,but it proves how much cooler it runs,which means less wear and tear or fatigue on important parts,not to mention when all that gunk is deposited there in an AR you need to keep the gun "wet" to run,which can pick up junk floating in the air(aka that talcum powder-like sand in Iraq) and make those already tight tolerances closer,meaning more crap in the action causes the gun to barf.
Did I mention easier to clean...why? Because it vents the burnt propellent outside not onto or into the chamber and all over aforementioned important parts,OOOOHHH and because it doesn't send that HOT dirty propellent gas where it feeds,the carbon that does get into the chamber area wipes off because it's not cooked onto those important parts.
The gas piston driven operating system is a time proven design used in many of the most well know-to-be reliable battle/assault rifles of the modern era.(do I really need to cite examples?)I'm not saying impingement is a terrible idea,but the way Stoner's design works,the gun shits where it eats,in my humble opinion that's just a bad idea no matter how you look at it.Say what you will about how far the AR/M16/Stoner family has come,I ask you this,if it's so damn great why didn't good ole' Eugene use it again.Also why in the hell does everyone who thinks the AR is the holy grail,say that "sure it's reliable as long as you maintain it? Ok I'm not advocating never to clean your weapon,but ummmm when have you EVER hard that statement made about an AK?
Ergo's: Ok sure how you hold it,how you find your cheek weld and all that stuff is subjective to the end user.I will say this,I firmly believe that if you put an AR and an XCR side by side on a table and let some Joe smo who has never handled either one before pick them up and ask them to figure out how to run it,the XCR would win.This of course is pure conjecture,but in my mildly humble :D opinion I think the XCR is more INSTINCTIVE more natural.Again purely my opinion.
I don't mean the AR is awefull or it's a huge difference,but I do believe there IS a difference,which to an experienced operator could mean those few milliseconds between you sending Hadji to meet his 77 virgins,or your wife and kids getting a really shitty visit from some gentleman in uniform.Simple equals speed,speed equals survival.Remember it's not who fires first it's who hits(well) first that usually wins.
The ability to use a folding stock,if you have the want or need to do so,because there is no need for a buffer or spring in the stock.I'm surprised when people who have been looking into the XCR don't know that.Folding stocks for some are either love or hate,but you cannot deny the convenience of making the weapon more compact if your profession or needs call for it.The left side charging handle allows(right handers)to maintain a firing grip end eyes on target while doing a mag swap or malfunction clearance.With the AR you have to lower the weapon to clear a malfunction and/or chamber a fresh round.
Someone mentioned the interchangeable barrel,great point again.There is no need to change uppers to change calibers like with an AR.The bolt is easily removed from the carrier.The magazine well in the XCR positions the magazine higher in the weapon vs the AR so no need for a feed ramp as the cartridge is already pointing down the tube when the bolt strips it from the magazine.The benefits are more reliable feeding because the feeding geometry of the cartridge has less angle to overcome to be chambered.
The upper is a complete unit with fully machined accessory rails full length on top and I believe about 12" inches long on the 3,6,and 9 O'clock positions.Which means that the barrel is free floated to enhance accuracy.All this for roughly 500 scabs below the price of the Colt M4,Hey that'll buy a caliber conversion kit or a case of ammo or two.I know I'll get hammered for this one but most of my rantings are fact,my intentions were not to flame the AR,but to highlight the differences between the two systems.
I'll end with one last thing,that I'm sure we all will agree on.The XCR has a great customer support base,Terra kicks ass and she devotes alot of her free(read unpaid)time because she truly cares,why the hell else would anyone do that? Allison is also great to work with,and they both give a damn about what they do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go and pick up the Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement magazine January issue as pictured on the robarm website. In this magazine they test the XCR, the Sig 5.56 and the Adams conversion kit for the AR's. The XCR review did not have one negative comment and has some very impressive remarks given on the gun. The review points out exactly why more law enforcement agencies are starting to look at a gas piston system. If you field strip this gun compared to an AR you will see the quality, yet still simplicity put into this gun. The gas piston system designed in this gun is very well built. I think that many of the AR conversions to gas piston are going to cause issues with the bolt not being able to hold up as compared to the XCR. Personally the only thing I wish were different on this weapon is the release for the upper receiver was a pin vs. quick release (Personal opinion). I also wish the upper receiver folded out farther from the lower receiver, but not a big deal as it is still very easy to separate the two. I have bought two of these from Doug's over the past two weeks, and can't even tell you how happy I am so far with this gun. Can't wait to put them to the test.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts