XCR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last year or so I have noticed more and more people blurring the serial numbers on their guns when posting pictures. Is there a reason to this madness? Or is it just a waste of time. I am trying to figure out what one can do with knowing the serial number of someone else's gun.

Someone please explain this madness to me. :headscratch:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Over the last year or so I have noticed more and more people blurring the serial numbers on their guns when posting pictures. Is there a reason to this madness? Or is it just a waste of time. I am trying to figure out what one can do with knowing the serial number of someone else's gun.

Someone please explain this madness to me. :headscratch:
I think "madness" is overstating it a bit, don't you think? Its probably the same reason I didn't post a real picture of me in the "What do we look like" section. Because its not something anybody should want or need to know. And no, I have absolutely nothing to hide. I also don't like posing for photos with my guns. It make me feel like I'm recreating some old Lee Harvey Oswald photo. Here's a little tip for those who choose to keep their guns and themselves anonymous. If you use photoshop or similar programs you should use total blackout and then make sure you save it to a different format before you post the photo. Some photoshop techniques can be reversed with other computer programs.

EDIT: I couldn't resist

·
Registered
22,523 Posts
I'm practically computer illiterate.....so I just put a piece of black electrical tape over my SN before taking a pic.

Sean

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I don't think it is madness...maybe paranioa ;).

Seriously though, I don't do it but know lots that do. To me there is no difference from posting up on the internet than there is some random guy you don't know checking out your gun at the range. The only difference being the local guy and get your plates, follow you home and try to steal your stuff.

I knew people on car forums that blacked out their plate number on their cars. Again, not really sure why but who am I to judge peoples crazy habits. I do some pretty crazy things myself.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Ya know, now that you ask I don't know really know why I do it either. Just always have.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Whenever I've posted a picture of any of my guns I've never bothered to blur the serial number or any other identifying marks. I can't think of a single reason why anyone would want that number, as I have the receipts for the purchase and anyone with nefarious intentions would find it quite hard to use the serial number of a weapon he doesn't own for personal gain.

I mean, what's going to happen? "Yo, yo cops! 'Dis som'bitch stold my gun and he's keepin' it at his house, B! I saw the pics on the internet and I want it back!"

Um, no.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well we can keep beating this dead horse but what difference does it make. Is there someone here who is offended by the fact that some people choose to keep that private? Is it any skin off your back?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Nobody is offended, the OP just wanted to know if there was a GOOD reason or is it just paranoia.

I say paranoia,
Dog :2cents:

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
For a car license plate, any law enforcement agency can find who you are by just your plates, but not sure about regular people. But then again LEO's can be corrupt too.

As for serial numbers on guns, I have no idea how you are going to find out the owner of the gun by just the Serial Number.

So yeah I would have to agree with you that blurring out the serial number is sheer madness, but I do it too just so I can be accecpted :D

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frickin' ARFcom. Those guys are so stupid and paranoid. What is really scary is how many of them there are. But I guess if the SHTF, we will be glad they are out there.

Your right, one guy did it because he say them blur the license plates of cars on an episode of "Cops" and thought to himself... "I better do that when I post pics of my guns. Don't want anyone seeing the serial number of my glock 17."

ARFcom
:laughposter:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Naahh. That "blur" stuff goes back to the Gun Magazines of the late 60's right after the passage of the G.C.A of 68. when I was a kid I got a big box of old American rifleman, shooting times, guns and ammo, etc.from the late 60's to the early 80's every one who wrote in to those magazines asking about gun values and stuff would describe the gun and list the serial number with the last 3 or 4 digits listed as XXX. Kind of a personal privacy thing I think. For sure the older generation is not as open about things as we are.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I personally don't give a damn what anyone else does with their serial numbers.I don't however understand what possible purpose it could serve,but to each his own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts