XCR Forum banner

What twist rate should XCR offer next in 5.56?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dealer confirms I'm finally in the queue for an SBR...

Is there ready availability on anything higher than 1:9 twist right now?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Not yet. Terra was saying on another thread that they were ordering those barrel blanks in their next batch maybe next month IIRC. Given their work load they'd maybe be available a couple months after that.

Initially the word was 1/7 but there has been some recent discussion that folks here would want a 1/8 over the 1/7. The forum doesn't represent the entire XCR population but probably holds a pretty powerful lobby!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
1:4! That's not rifling, that's a thread pitch!

G

·
we just had a poll on this very subject about 2 weeks ago. Maybe we could just all refer back to that discussion instead of starting a new one? ??? ::) ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have a 1/8 heavy barrel and it's very nice. I haven't even handled the light barrel 1/9 model I just bought, but I think 1/8 is a great balance. That said, 1/9 stabilizes quite a few rounds very well. I think a lot of people are stuck on the "mil-spec" 1/7 thing, when it's not necessarily the best for all the bullet lengths/weights out there. I guess I would want 1/7 if all I ever shot was 77gr SMK's, but I shoot a lot of 55gr and 62gr fmj's. My 1/8 XCR shoots 'em fine, but really likes the Black Hills 68gr bthps. ;D

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I hear "mil-spec" in relation to firearms and I get nervous! Let me tell you some stories from my small-arms repairman days on what passes for mil-spec! But you're right 1/9 shoots just fine for most bullets. The TAP T2 bullets I have for a rainy day shoot just fine from the 1/7 and 1/8 AR's I have but leave much to be desired from my XCR. (However, a plain 75gr OTM bullet shoots OK, not stellar, but OK.) For plinking, I could really care less but I'd like to have the option/ability to use whichever.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I hear "mil-spec" in relation to firearms and I get nervous! Let me tell you some stories from my small-arms repairman days on what passes for mil-spec! But you're right 1/9 shoots just fine for most bullets. The TAP T2 bullets I have for a rainy day shoot just fine from the 1/7 and 1/8 AR's I have but leave much to be desired from my XCR. (However, a plain 75gr OTM bullet shoots OK, not stellar, but OK.) For plinking, I could really care less but I'd like to have the option/ability to use whichever.
Yes, at least having the option is nice, and makes the rifle more versatile.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
1:4, that would be a really long bullet and reallly crappy barrel life!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1:4, that would be a really long bullet and reallly crappy barrel life!
I vaguely remember that being the twist rate needed to stabilize a .223 bullet that would be subsonic with a normal powder load (something approaching a 300gr bullet). Not sure if it has actually been done....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts