XCR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a set of HK-416 sights for to use with my 6.8 conversion kit (when it arrives). Is it worth the $? Anyone know if these will sight in correctly with 6.8 ammo? Also, how does it cowitness with an Aimpoint? What set up works best? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I do not know much about them but I seem to remember there being a topic on here about the 416 sights

If I find I'll post a link

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tac. I searched and found some good info, but still would like to know how they are working out for 6.8 owners in particular. I assume they can be calibrated for 6.8 ammo?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have no idea I have never shot a 6.8, hell the only time I have seen a 6.8 rifle or ammo is at gunshows

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any 6.8 XCR owners with HK416 sights care to chime in!!! I hate to buy these without any recommendations!!!! I would really appreciate any info!!

G

·
I have been looking into these as well. I asked a question on the HK forums and here is the answer I got:

Below is an excerpt straight from the armorer's manual. The question about the "sight base" is simple...the further apart, the better.

Sight Adjustment

· The rear sight drum has a “V” notch marked “1” and three diopters marked “2”, “3” and “4”
· The rifle should be sighted-in at 100 yards using the “V” notch. The top of the front sight blade should be even with the top of the rear sight “V”
and centered.
· If the shooter’s target is at 200 yards, the drum should be rotated so the “2” diopter is now facing the shooter’s eye.
· The diopter has been moved up to compensate for the extra 100 yards.
· The “3” diopter should be used for 300 yards and the “4” for 400 yards
· In effect, once the rifle is sighted-in at 100 yards with the “v” notch, the rifle is also sighted-in @ 200, 300 and 400 yards
· Sighting through any of the diopters the shooter should obtain an equal halo of light around the front sight mount positioning the front sight blade in the center.

The sights on the HK rifles can be adjusted for elevation and windage.

Sight adjustment tool
There are two parts to the sight adjustment tool.
· A short shank Phillips head screwdriver
· The spring loaded tab assembly

The tabs are spring-loaded and will always move outward at the tips. The insertion of the screwdriver from the bottom of the tab assembly will bring the tab tips inward towards each other. It is this manipulation of the tabs that will capture the detents holding the rear sight drum in place.

Sight adjustments

Remember this formula:

LL=C (Lower or Left = Clockwise rotation)

The sight adjustment is a rear sight adjustment, so the movement of the sight will be in the same direction the shooter wants the impact of the round to move. If the hit is to the right of the intended location, then the sights and the impact must be moved left.

Elevation: one-complete rotation (360o) of the rear sight drum will shift the impact of the round approximately 6 inches @ 100yards.

Windage: one-complete rotation (360o) of the windage screw will shift the impact of the round 6 inches @ 100 yards

Elevation Adjustment
1. Insert the screwdriver shaft into the bottom of the adjustment tool. This will bring the tabs towards the center.
2. Place the tabs inside the rear sight drum and on top of the detents
3. Hold the tool in place and remove the screwdriver. This will release the tabs to the outside of the detents.
4. Re-insert the screwdriver holding the tool very steady. This will again bring the tabs and this time the detents to the center unlocking the rear sight drum. Turning the screwdriver or tool does nothing; they must remain still while the drum is turned. Make the sight adjustment for elevation and remove the sight tool.

Windage Adjustment
Unscrew the large Phillips head screw of the top rear of the sight approximately one-eighth of a turn, just enough to loosen it.
Insert the Phillips head screwdriver into the wind age screw on the right side of the rear sight base. Turn this screw to make the proper wind age adjustment. Retighten the top Phillips head screw.
Unfortunately the distance between the sights is critical for proper zeroing at range and the guy who answered simply does not understand that. If i think about it logically I suppose that one could get pretty close by adjusting the distance between the sights to closely coorespond with the 6.8's trajectory.

I would assume that the 416 sights would be calibrated to work with the max distance available on the HK416 platform. if anyone has access to one of these then please measure the distance between the rearmost and front most notches on the rail system and let us know.

Assuming further the standard nato 62 grain ss109/m855 loading is probably the load it's calibrated for as well.

If one would compare the trajectories of the two loads then you could either use hold-overs, or shorten the distance between the front and rear to gain elevation, or lengthen to lose elevation to more closely match the desired trajectory.

as of now that is the only way I know to properly calibrate the 416 sites for an XCR or other railed rifle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jack A Sol, are those instructions for HK sights? I thought they did not have a v notch but just diopters set at 1,2,3,400m. I got an email answer from Ranier on their HK style sights (that has a 100yd notch) and he said it would work for the XCR. Here is a link you may find interesting, similar info as Jack A Sol's if you have not found this already in your searching. http://www.hkpro.com/sights.htm p.s. I guess I answered my own Q the open notch is on their assault rifles and the hole/diopters are on their submachine gun.

G

·
they are specifically for the detachable sights for the railed HK416 rifle out of the service manual for that gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts