XCR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, by by XCR. As I was finally going to be able to buy one something just had to come up. Maybe its just not meant to be :'(

I'm being frikin sued! Back in January there was a fire in my apartment. Fast forward 11 months and I am being sued by my old landlords insurance company for $44k plus interest for damages. Which is funny seeing as the fire was due to a faulty stove, and not my fault. But that doesn't matter, and ever lawyer I've spoken to wants a 2.5k retainer and says this will run me to the tune of 10k to see it through. I love lawyers.

SO, anyone got 10k I can barrow? The VA is kind enough to let me barrow 1k in advance against my disability, so I guess I only need 9.

Anyone? Anyone? I'll clean your rifle? =P

Well its a good thing you kind tax payers are paying for my schooling or I would be screwed!

Oh well, It will work out I just am sad it means that much longer until I can purchase my own piece of XCR heaven =(

·
Registered
923 Posts
Sorry about the lawsuit

I hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Go on the offense. I would think if there was $44k in damages that you were inconvenienced also.
How dare your landlord provide a faulty stove. You could have died.
Sue the stove manufacturer and counter sue your Landlord/insurance company.
You probably think it is unfair you are getting sued. Well make everyone else feel the same way.
Protect yourself. It is just business.

Did you have a renter's insurance policy?

Yes it will cost you money. Go nasty and it may all be over in a short time.
You may be able to break even.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Go on the offense. I would think if there was k in damages that you were inconvenienced also.
How dare your landlord provide a faulty stove. You could have died.
Sue the stove manufacturer and counter sue your Landlord/insurance company.
You probably think it is unfair you are getting sued. Well make everyone else feel the same way.
Protect yourself. It is just business.

Did you have a renter's insurance policy?

Yes it will cost you money. Go nasty and it may all be over in a short time.
You may be able to break even.
Or break even and get a nice shiny new XCR to boot. >:D

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Good answer, COUNTERSUE....... as a disabled veteran your ex-landlord tried to kill you with a faulty stove (it was HIS stove, right?). Find a better slezy lawyer than he has and sue the shit out of him. Get 4 XCRs (.223, 6.5, 6.8, and 7.62x39) out of his happy ass. :2cents: :fencing:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, thanks guys but I actually liked my land lord. And he really doesn't have anything to do with this, its his crummy POS insurance company. I mean crap, isn't this kinda stuff exactly why people HAVE insurance!? Bah

And no, I didn't have renters insurance, if I did I wouldn't have to pay for the lawyer myself. But oh well. One of the perks of being a combat veteran is that you can almost always say "Pfft, I've been through worse."

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Countersue and don't be nice, don't expect a settlement. You need to be the biggest bastard on the block. Also consider suing the manufacturer of the stove, to cover your position.

It's not about who you like and who you don't, being nice will just end up with you getting fucked.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would develop a serious fear of stoves and develop a disorder. Counter sue the Insurance company and sue the manufacturer. Sue the Landlord just for the hell of it.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Countersue and don't be nice, don't expect a settlement. You need to be the biggest bastard on the block. Also consider suing the manufacturer of the stove, to cover your position.

It's not about who you like and who you don't, being nice will just end up with you getting fucked.
this is good advice

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
You can always play it another way if you think you'll lose. Be beligerant, put your assest in a trust and then after delaying them with bullshit motions and if they win, declare bankrupcy just to screw them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you sue and have a wife or GF, be sure to throw in a complaint for loss of consortium. That should be good for another $10k ;)

And i have to agree. It doesn't matter if you like your landlord. Being nice in a situation like this will just get you reamed.

Sorry about the lawsuit, but hang in there.

G

·
the first rule of being sued is "sue them back and make it a good one!!" Add every little thing you can think of that your landlord ever did or failed to do. make them spend so much time denying the allegations that they dont persue thier own case effectively.

second rule: "never get sidetracked from the facts of the CASE" only those facts in dispute in the case are germane. EVERYTHING ELSE IS BULLSHIT TO BE IGNORED. side track them at every turn with allegations and accusations, but dont let them deter you from ONLY addressing the facts specified in the case.

rule three: if you lawyer doenst like this approach then dont hire him. look for a young guy who wants to make a name and can think quickly. you interview with him will tell you these things

rule four: if you lose then change your address, change your bank account info and change your job once they attempt to collect. Wait till after dicovery of that info. dont pay it. If they garnish your wages then find a new job and make them start all over again. avoid and evade at every turn, make them give up.

those come from experience.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Your landlord may not even know that the insurance company is suing you.
However, to get the insurance companies attention you have to sue the landlord.

I'm glad to here you like your landlord. But, he made a business decision to use the company he did.

·
Registered
874 Posts
And if you sue the landlord it won't be the landlord who foots the bill it will be his insurance company so you aren't harming him in anyway.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
This can get ugly quick. I would first sue the landlord for all your lost possessions. His insurance will have to cover it if the stove was at fault. i just went through a lawsuit where we settld out of court. It wasn't pretty and the insurance didn't give us anywhere close to what we should have received. It was a matter of dragging it out and giong to court, hoping for a good judgement or cutting our losses and taking what was offered. It didn't help that we would have had to travel out of state for trial...it wasn't any fun.

I hope you can figure something out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm being frikin sued! Back in January there was a fire in my apartment. Fast forward 11 months and I am being sued by my old landlords insurance company for k plus interest for damages. Which is funny seeing as the fire was due to a faulty stove, and not my fault. But that doesn't matter, and ever lawyer I've spoken to wants a 2.5k retainer and says this will run me to the tune of 10k to see it through. I love lawyers.
Are they suing despite an official conclusion by the police/fire dept. that it was not your fault? Or is it that they don't believe you?

As an aside, did the fire do anything to any ammo you might have stored in the place? I've always wondered whether a resident could be sued because of dangerous conditions and damage due to ammo in a fire. Firefighters apparently encounter ammo cooking off on a regular basis, and their gear protects them well enough, but what if they come across a larger store -- especially as people are stocking up these days? There have also been fires in which loaded semi-autos would start and continue shooting, forcing firefighters to keep back and let places burn down. At least this is easily preventable, but I'm not sure what can be done about ammo storage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts