XCR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fired an M14 for the first time today, my first (and only) shot was fired without ear protection. I realised this was a mistake right after I squeezed the trigger and it felt like a pair of knives being shoved into my ears. This was odd because I had been firing several .308 rifles prior to this one and they weren't that bad at all, the m14, holy crap! Are all M14s like this?

G

·
I think the bolt closing and opening might have contributed to the high pitch. Mine has a vortex FH on it which kinda rings like a tuning fork, so you get a "bang! claaack! ching!!"

if it had a muzzle break and a short barrel that would probalby account for most of the noise tho.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My 16 inch barrel Socom II feels like it's twice as loud as my .308 bolt gun. Come to think of it, my standard M14 is pretty loud too. In fact, the indoor range has asked me not to shoot either one there any more because the other patrons have complained. >:D

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I've never noticed an M1a being much louder than most any other .308 rifle.As others have stated though barrel length is a large contributing factor.My PTR-91K 16 inch barrel .308 is nasty without hearing protection.The loudest rifle (by a lot) I've ever fired or heard was the m38 Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r.I think that's an 18 inch barrel.I believe the biggest thing with that rifle was the cartridge wasn't really loaded to be efficient in short tubes,hence the 3 foot fireball everytime you pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The M-14 is a man's weapon. When they took them away from us and gave us the little, "pis..." M-16, 5.56's that broke, jamed, rusted, failed to fire, GOT PEOPLE KILLED, we started picking up AK-47's to stay in the fight and stay alive. I LOVE the M-14 and the M-60 which is my MOST favorite weapon in my arsenal! However, the M-16 has been improved, chromed barrel etc., stronger ejector springs, and much more. I still despise Kennedy's "college boys" that caused us to loose so many good men! Next time, use your ear protection, like you KNOW YOU SHOULD and enjoy firing a real weapon! Any more questions? Glad to put my 2cents:worth in!
Sinker

I fired an M14 for the first time today, my first (and only) shot was fired without ear protection. I realised this was a mistake right after I squeezed the trigger and it felt like a pair of knives being shoved into my ears. This was odd because I had been firing several .308 rifles prior to this one and they weren't that bad at all, the m14, holy crap! Are all M14s like this?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I miss rocking out with my "Pig". P.G. Kokalis may hate it but my M-60 always worked. I loved it.
Really enjoyed the M-60A3's the Marine 7th MEB had at one time.
M240 is nice but takes longer to clean and firing from the shoulder is a No-Go.

·
Registered
549 Posts
..When they took them away from us and gave us the little, "pis..." M-16, 5.56's that broke, jamed, rusted, failed to fire, GOT PEOPLE KILLED, we started picking up AK-47's to stay in the fight and stay alive.....
You didn't by chance frag any LT's while you were picking up AK's ? Lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have an ex-military buddy who says the M-14 is one of the most overlooked underrated battle rifles to date. I'd like to shoot one! Even if it is loud.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I prefer the M-14 over most other .308 battle rifles. I've owned and shot FALs, HK G3/91s, and AR-10s, but I always keep coming back to the M-14. Some people bash them, but for me it is hands down my favorite rifle (no offense to my XCR). The Springfield M1A with a Sage EBR stock is formidable combination.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I know what you mean about the noise. I've got a FAL with a 16-inch barrel and my range has a tin roof over the firing benches. I've had other shooters pick up their stuff and move away after a few rounds.

tk

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I'll take a G3, FAL, and AR-10 over a M14.

M14's are nice, but to me they feel like a Garand but only not as balanced. I would even take a Garand over an M14.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Only the short ones. No problem with regular rifle length barrel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts