XCR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I did much the same thing - if you'll notice, he came to the same conclusions I did.

The FAL doesn't have to be clean, but it sure has to be lubed. I'm not talking an absence of black gunk, I'm talking about keeping the black gunk semi-liquid / slimy.

Elsewise, the FAL isn't as reliable. I didn't do stuff in the muck and mud (I live in the desert) but in sandy conditions. Without lube of any kind, the M14 is just flatly better.

FWIW, my "go-to" rifle is still my M14. The XCR is winding its way into my heart as the best carbine though.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hey Bravo, Trick used in Nam, if you DIDN'T have required lube................. piss in the action. Smelled REAL BAD but worked. After trying it I ALWAYS had lube on me. ;D ;D ;D

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
yeah the M14 is so reliable :D

You guys are high.. The FAL is the greatest battle rifle of all time. "Ole Dirty" thrown in muddy water, soaked for half hour, then taken out and just shot, 13,500 rounds later it still has not been cleaned and accuracy is still competitive with some of it's clean brothers.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Doofus (who seems to have reading comprehension problems):

If you notice, I said M14. Your link was about an M1A.

Find a place I said something nice about Sproingfeld Aromry (and yes, I've seen the M1A with the heelstamp "AROMRY"). They quit building them well in the '80's.

I've had great luck with the M14 - don't confuse the issue. Unless YOU are high.

Or maybe you would choose to provide pictures of what did, or are YOU high.......

Is the FAL great? You bet. That's why I have one (just one now) - and know how to use it well. Take both out in the sands - in my case WSMR - and run 'em both hard. THEN you will know who is high and who is talking smack without firsthand experience.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Doofus? Come on man you can do better than that. Was that suppose to be a compliment or an insult? :D If it was a compliment than I just want to say Thank You.

If you have a real Springfield Armory select fire M14 than you sir have a gem. But to most of us poor folks and newbies, when we say M1A or Polytech M14S, to us these are "M14s" that are accessible.

I live in the desert and take my FAL out in the sand all the time, and I have not cleaned her in a long long time. She functions flawlessly. As for my M1A, I really can't complain about that either as it too has functioned flawlessly.

Guns are just a hobby to me and I may not be the Special Forces Ninja Turtle ranger you are, but I do like to give input and share what I have read.

I also have never seen a real T-Rex either but it does not mean I can't give input on what one looks like. Don't tell me you are a part of the Marshall family in "Land of the Lost" and you have seen a T-Rex! If you have then COOL!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Hmmmmm All the toy references from someone that uses a toy for an avatar.......

Here's the deal - when you posted a picture of your ultra-heavy overmade M1A, I kept my mouth shut. I wouldn't own one of those funky boat-anchor stocks longer than it took me to sell it - but it's yours and I have no purpose in denegrating your stuff. Frankly it doesn't matter what I think of your stuff, so I kept my mouth shut. Think about that.

In exactly the same light, what you think about my '14 doesn't matter to anyone. Except, maybe - just maybe - possibly you. FWIW, the full-up M14 wasn't that expensive at all - back in '83.

And there's a difference between "taking it out in the sand" and performing significant testing. In another thread -on the M4- I made reference to operation roving sands, and the conditions then. Think about it, connect the dots. No, really, think about it. Check out what that place does, what its purpose is.

Then you might figure out that there's a big difference between "like to give input and share what I read" and "relate what I have done personally". And just for clarification, it appears to me the kind of input you like to share seems purposefully inflamatory and derogatory - or maybe it's just your presentation.

If you want to get into this further - and I recommend you don't - I'll introduce you (via the net of course - you ain't getting personal info) to a nice, intelligent, hands-on fellow named Frank. He can tell you about doing some terrible things to an M1A and the Norinco version. Seems he got paid some serious bucks to write an article, as well as free ammo and rifles.

I don't need to read articles to know what works - I don't trust articles to know what works. I know, because I do.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
So now it's my avatar you don't like. HA! So I guess a cooler avatar would get me more cheese points? :D

All M1A's are boat anchors. My M1A was born around 10 lbs, the 21" SS barrel makes it even heavier than the other M1A's.

The stock I choose added an extra pound. You know that McMillan stocks used in match competition weighs also more than a pound than traditional synthetic USGI stocks? Accuracy does suffer with traditional USGI stocks though, hence the reason why people use McMillans and they don't mind the extra weight. I believe I can take my M1A back down to around the 10lb mark even with my current stock if I wanted to. But why? It shoots great as is and kicks ass. Here is a discussion of some stocks here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=232351&page=3

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I'm not an expert on the Garand design but Eric, perhaps you need to understand a little more about stocks and how they work. If a stock is bedded properly there is little issue to be had from it's construction, design maybe but not constructuin. Don't go comparing a rack grade stocked rifle to an aftermarket stock. You'll just come accross as foolish. I've got an old wood stocked rifle here shooting 0.6" with 30-06. Yes it's a 40+ year old wood stock, but it's been glass bedded and the barrel free floated. There are also plenty of marines or Army snipers who can probably outshoot you without using a McMillan stock. Stop being an idiot, you'll make more friends!

I'm a fan of the FAL, it was my first service rifle and I probably know more about them that you. Rose tinted glasses aside, the fact that it can survive abuse does not mean that you should abuse it at every opportunity. Oh and by the way, FALs do jam sometimes! Great you haven't cleaned it in ages but , you sir, are an idiot. You should clean your rifle whenever you can. Also a FAL does need lubrication, not too much but runing it dry will eventually degrade the weapon and the grit will start to erode the metal contact surfaces, or does physics not apply in whatever dimension you are from.

"It takes five minutes to talk like and expert, a few dollars to look like one, but a lifetime to become one"

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Ok first off I can compare anything if I want, especially if said party asks me why I would chose such a boat anchor. I gave my opinions why.

When did I say I was an expert? I am just a gun enthusiast like most people here. Do you have to be Einstein to be an enthusiast? Do you have to act like a Einstein or a Green Beret to be a gun enthusiast? Can't I be a Mall Ninja like myself and be a gun enthusiast at the same time?

Don't go acting you guys are so smart. I too have access to "Black Rifle", "The M14", and Wikipedia too so I can act like a smart guy if I wanted to.

Guns are just a hobby to me and if I have to read books and shoot 9-5 it would no longer be a hobby. For my background: I have only been seriously in this hobby for the past 3 years. Before that, I was into other things.

As for US Army Snipers shooting better than me? What's your point on that? 2,000 Russian women killed 20,000 German Officers in WWII with Mosin Nagants (Russians did not keep track of enlisted sniper kills). So a women can shoot bettr than all of us. What is your point exactly? I am not afraid of any challenge from these "us army snipers" you speak of. If they beat me in a shooting competition I will gladly shake their hand. I am always gracious in defeat 8)

I may be a "mall ninja" now, but at one time I was a soldier and I regularly qualified expert, and even now I believe I am a pretty good shot.

Maybe if I was running for prom king I would be rubbing tushes and kissin them too. But since I don't need any votes I can say my honest thoughts. Don't get butt hurt because I think the M14 is not a great as a battle ninja gun as the FAL.

My M1A shooting prone with Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo, quarter size groups at 100 yards.

And some of my pictures before I was a Mall Ninja, as you can see expert rifle, and also a German Qualification Badge (HK91 G3 type)

Engineers lead the way. Essayons! Sappers in!

We had to pay $10 to get these camel pics :p

Lastly I am good at everything I do, yes that's a first place trophy!

So as you can see from my pics, serving in Iraq for 6 months, and experiencing some nasty sandstorms, and also currently living and shooting in the desert.. I think I have a little experience with Sand. No? ;D

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Yes, I know what a McMillan stock weighs. My M25 (you might want to look that one up, and I'm not referencing the abortion that Sproingfeld puts out) was built with one - those Crane NSW armorers build them RIGHT. I used that M25 going through both basic and advanced sniper, and did rather well with it. I think I might know a thing or two about the M14 / M21 / M25. Pretty sure I don't need to read something on arfcom about stocks, I was working with the designer of the M25 (he also did the M24) back when they were still XM25s. I'm glad you like your stock - I still woudn't own one.

I'm not going to go into hitting on the facts you missed - although you might want to check what Mickey said 'cause he's right. Nor am I going to get into a pee-pee measuring contest with you - although you and I appear to have a similarity in backgrounds. I'll leave it at that. BTW, an M25 will typically do 1" at 200 yards, I just got lucky on mine - it does right at 1" at 300.

In all honesty, I don't know why you come across to me as a troll. Maybe it's the demeanor, maybe it's your writing style. I'll admit that the internet doesn't allow contributions of inflection and body language, so it could be that you mean things differently than they come across. Maybe if you and I met in a pub, we'd hit it off. In all honesty, I don't know. But the statement stands that you do come across to me as a troll.

I'm game to leave you alone, if you'll do me the honor of returning the favor.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
It's all good Bravo. As you can tell from my posts, I always attack the topic and points and not the person. But mostly l am an upfront guy, and I know myself my delivery is all effed up. And I like to stir the pot every once in awhile, all in good fun ;D

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Cool beans all around. ;D

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
Cool beans all around. ;D
you guys saw "mall ninja" next to my avatar and felt like you could personally attack me instead of attacking the topic ;)

then again i guess that's why i put that under my avatar, to see who the wolves are.... you know "wolves", they like to attack the "appeared" weak and then they team up in packs to take down whoever they appear as weak... i like to have fun with wolves hahahahah ;D

one thing I learned in all this is if you can't attack the points, you can attack the avatar! :p

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I think a lot of inflection gets lost on forums... when you called me a ho in your other thread I took it as a misspelling/you being drunk/or a friendly jab... In any case we're still cool :raspberry:

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I think a lot of inflection gets lost on forums... when you called me a ho in your other thread I took it as a misspelling/you being drunk/or a friendly jab... In any case we're still cool :raspberry:
no i really meant you were a "ho"

meaning you are pimping yourself out to XCR. Like you work for them or sell their products. as for me, I speak my honest thoughts, if i feel the XCR is great I will say so. If I feel it sucks I will say so. I don't have to ho myself out to anyone. XCR could offer me a free rifle right now and I still would not ho myself out.

go ahead XCR... offer me a free rifle! I will turn it down, because I am not a ho.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
you may be mistaken about my honest thoughts... I speak my my honest thoughts as well, they're apparently just more positive than yours were initially. Doesn't make me a 'ho' ::)

and if there are free xcr's goin around, I'll take the one you turned down ;)

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I'm not in this one!

besides, if anyone gets a free rifle, it had better be me :D

Can't we just let this thread be moved to the endless debate and whining section now? :p

21 - 40 of 45 Posts