XCR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Unless it is picked up by the military or one of the big manufacturers brass would be a bitch to get/make.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I'd agree. Apart from it's 400-500 rainbow drop it is definately one of the better intermediate cartridges out there.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Yes but why bother? Fire a 55g .223 through a 20" barrel and you get the velocity high enough to do serious damage.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
When I took the Royal Marine Sniper course, our solution to body armor was simple. Shoot the prick in the head.

Skill can overcome bad equipment but good equipment can't overcome a lack of skill.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Oh yes, remember it well. We used to use it as a training point before going to Ireland. I also remember Imber Village down near Dartmoor as well. Did you ever use the German village set up at the Thetford training ground.

FIBUA - Fighting In Built Up Areas. You call it Military Operations in Urban Terrain.

I also did some time in a Texas facility around 80 miles north of Austin. Fort Patriot Warrior, I belive. Your tactics were different to ours. Lots of stacking.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Stacking sucks when people are chucking granades at you or shooting CSWs accross the street. We prefer multiple entry post grenade lob.

It all depends on what type of clearing you are doing. Clearing with civillians in situ or taking out entrenched enemy.

Bodney barracks. I know it well. Damned nissen huts from WWII. Hot in summer and freezing in winter. and the famous UK ration pack tea. Get you legs blown off - Just have a cup of tea and you'll be right! Add a tin of peaches and you're in heaven.

We used to like you guys comming over, always had a good time.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Lots of old shite up there. We even used to have a few Shermans for target practice.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Here is a picture at Bodney, from a long, long time ago when one of our roles was armored reconnaissance. Old picture pre-digital so bear with me. I'm laughing because my oppo just whacked his head on the barrel and he is trying to look like it didn't hurt.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
British Army, when an officer says 'X' marks the spot. He means it, literally.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Yep, L85A1, and contrary to opinion mine never jammed or failed me. Had to baby it a little. L85 was a POS.

On topic, the 6.8x45 has potential and the idea of being able to use everything and only needing a new barrel is kind of nice. It would certaintly ease logistics. Training becomes a non-issue etc... for us, the potential to reform 5.56 brass into 6.8x45 is nice as like you I have around 5,000 cases sitting around. Admittedly most have 77g MatchKings fitted but what the heck. If it goes anywhere and Alex doesn't support it I'm sure one of the AR crowd will. I've just built a nice little upper with an Adams Arms piston system to mess around with and I'm liking the range of options I have on the AR platform.

For me the exciting caliber is Grendel becasue it offers everything I want out of a medium caliber. Compactness, punch and long range knockdown. Have an 18" barrel, folding stock and that would be a great all around rifle.

Most of the time however I find that 5.56 and 7.62x51 are good enough.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Agreed. My unit didn't bother too much with the LSW. We carried the GPMG instead. It's heavier but loaded with APIT and API it carries a heck of a punch. We used to link at 1:3 instead of 1:5. Makes the bad guys think you're shotting more lead. Also sticking red tracer tips in makes them pause, thinking its blue on blue.

We once held back what turned out to be a batallion strength force with 12 men. 6 carrying a GPMG and the other six with a mix of L85A1s, L96A1s, 2" mortars and LAW 80s.

I don't know why folks got so pissed about HK. royal Ordinance baught them to bring in their expertise. The A2 is a nice reliable weapon now and with the 20" barrel and short length you combine a sub-machne gun with a full power rifle and everything in between.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.